PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help me make a Wizard/Monk

PanosIs
2017-10-30, 08:33 PM
So, I'm playing in a new campaign and I decided to try something somewhat unconventional.

That is a Wizard/Monk gish focused around touch spells such as Chill Touch with Flurry of Blows and all. Of course, as a part Wizard there will be a focus in utility as well, but the primary shtick should be this kind of spellful melee-ing.

The components I have found useful for the build so far are:

Monk
Wizard
Abjurant Champion
Enlightened Fist
Master of the East Wind
Eldritch Knight

I was looking at something like Monk 2/Wizard 4/Enlightened Fist 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Master of the East Wind 6 but it doesn't quite hit my benchmarks, which might very well be impossible to hit. What I want to end up with is a build that ends up with 9th level spells and 16 BAB while starting with 2 monk levels.

If you have any other interesting components to use, or any other suggestions I could really use some help here. (Feats, notable spells and all, everything is welcome)

Everything seems to be allowed but I'm not a cheesy player, I will, however make use of any tools that are available for the job at hand.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-30, 08:39 PM
Carmendine Monk or Kung-Fu Genius seems made for this type of build-- they'll switch your monk abilities to key off Int.

ATHATH
2017-10-30, 09:21 PM
Are you willing to be a Sorcerer/Monk instead of a Wizard/Monk? If so, you could pick up the Draconic Claw and Snap Kick feats so that you can attack with both a claw and an unarmed attack as a swift action whenever you cast a spell.

Eldariel
2017-10-31, 12:58 AM
The best (and probably the only good cheeseless) way to hit those benchmarks is just to Arcane Disciple for Divine Power and cast/persist it.

Endarire
2017-10-31, 01:00 AM
My initial thought was, "What about Unarmed Swordsage/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage/Full BAB & Casting?"

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-31, 01:04 AM
My initial thought was, "What about Unarmed Swordsage/Wizard/Jade Phoenix Mage/Full BAB & Casting?"Monk gives you Wis to AC; if you want that with swordsage, you have to put up with arcane spell failure percentages unless you invest resources in negating it. Also, with a feat, monk gives Int to AC; you can't get that with swordsage at all.

Endarire
2017-10-31, 01:10 AM
Ask your GM if Kung Fu Genius, etc. also work on Swordsage. It isn't RAW, but Swordsage came late in 3.5.

PanosIs
2017-10-31, 05:14 AM
Carmendine Monk or Kung-Fu Genius seems made for this type of build-- they'll switch your monk abilities to key off Int.

Yes, I'm taking Carmedine Monk as it also has that flavorful secondary benefit and fits my backstory to the point.

The best (and probably the only good cheeseless) way to hit those benchmarks is just to Arcane Disciple for Divine Power and cast/persist it.

After some further searching this is what I'll probably end up doing. Wont be doing any persisting but it's a solid way to get BAB.

Unarmed Swordsage

I generally dislike Tome of Battle so I don't want to be meddling with any of that, although the power of Swordsage/Warblade/Crusader is undisputable.

I am now considering just one level of Monk instead of two, doesn't pad my saves as well and I loose 1 BAB but I don't loose yet another caster level, this build would work so much better if Enlightened Fist didn't loose a CL at level 1.

EDIT: If you have any suggestions on touch spells to use shoot them my way.

Also, do you think it's worth it to go for TWF? The extra attacks could be useful, but then again, I might not be hitting anything with my 3/4- BAB.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-10-31, 06:27 AM
If you substitute Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom for Master of the East Wind, you should hit your benchmark. By my count, that would be 17 levels of casting and +16 BAB.

emeraldstreak
2017-10-31, 06:44 AM
For touch only attacks (bypassing natural armor) consider being Good too and deliver Touch of Golden Ice alongside spells.

Arcane caster is tailor made to take advantage of Greater Mighty Wallop. Permanencied Greater Magic Fang may also be useful depending if you can't grab necklace.

Rebel7284
2017-10-31, 06:44 AM
The best build that I know of this type is:
Monk 2/Duskblade 3/Ur Priest 2/Sacred Fist 8/Anything 5

note: text over table is the accepted general rule to resolve the contradiction about Sacred Fist spellcasting progression.

Clearly not a _wizard_ but a very powerful monk-based caster.

PanosIs
2017-10-31, 07:09 AM
If you substitute Eldritch Knight or Knight Phantom for Master of the East Wind, you should hit your benchmark. By my count, that would be 17 levels of casting and +16 BAB.

Yes, I just noticed this as well, with just one Monk level, going for Monk 1/Wizard 4/Enlightened Fist 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7 is BAB +16 and CL 17. However both Eldritch Knight and Knight Phantom require proficiency with all martial weapons, which neither of the other classes provides.

For touch only attacks (bypassing natural armor) consider being Good too and deliver Touch of Golden Ice alongside spells.

Arcane caster is tailor made to take advantage of Greater Mighty Wallop. Permanencied Greater Magic Fang may also be useful depending if you can't grab necklace.

Greater Mighty Wallop seems great in this case (Although I always thought the name was ridiculous), we have a Druid in the party so I might buy her a Pearl of Power for the GMF. I'm not a fan of permanencied spells as they get Dispelled too easily.

The best build that I know of this type is:
Monk 2/Duskblade 3/Ur Priest 2/Sacred Fist 8/Anything 5

note: text over table is the accepted general rule to resolve the contradiction about Sacred Fist spellcasting progression.

Clearly not a _wizard_ but a very powerful monk-based caster.

Sacred Fist is certainly a much better gish prestige than Enlightened Fist, no loss of caster levels and full BAB is great compared to 2 lost caster levels and 3/4ths BAB. Sadly, I'm kind of bent into playing an arcane caster. Also, Ur-Priest is cheese :P

PanosIs
2017-10-31, 11:24 AM
Still trying to work out the build, I vaguely remember something that added Combat Casting to the list of Wizard bonus feats? Does anyone remember if such a thing exists?

Rebel7284
2017-10-31, 02:39 PM
Still trying to work out the build, I vaguely remember something that added Combat Casting to the list of Wizard bonus feats? Does anyone remember if such a thing exists?

Perhaps you are thinking of the ACF that trades the Wizard bonus feats for Fighter bonus feats? Doesn't work for Combat Casting though.