PDA

View Full Version : PHB/CW/ToB build ideas

ImpieBA
2017-10-30, 10:13 PM
Basically what the title says. I'm going into a fourth campaign right now- two are on hiatus until the semester ends, so they're a bit limited for now. This is a fairly casual campaign taking place when it does. It's intent to cut back on magic, though that it still abusable given available resources. The campaign itself is based heavily around the ToB disciplines and the dm's hoping we base around that.

Classes available are from PHB, Tome of Battle, and Complete Warrior.

Feats, weapons, acfs, and races are available from other sources.

Given the nature of the nature of the campaign, I want to have some fun with melee. I've toyed with the Daring Outlaw idea and Stormguard Robilar's/Karmic ideas. I might give them a go but they aren't standing out to me this time.

We're starting at level 4.

As for my character himself, I love the idea that he's a cocky outsider. We're all living in the city that teaches the disciplines, but we don't have to be from there originally. I love the idea that my character started outside of the three ToB classes and beat some of them before heading there himself. He'll probably pick them up or has already started them. That said, he's proud of his capabilities because he's great at being a merc. He loves it. He does it because he loves it and wouldn't take another job. This is his playground as far as he's concerned. No doubt there are plenty of people bigger than him and he can stand to be knocked down a few pegs, but that hasn't happened yet.

Naturally, that means he has to have a fairly capable build to pull that off, but I want to try something a little out of the norm. Any ideas?

BowStreetRunner
2017-10-30, 11:54 PM
I'm a big fan of Ranger/Warblade builds myself. There's quite a bit of synergy between the Ranger's abilities and the maneuvers available to a Warblade. TWF a pair of Keen kukri with Blood in the Water active can lead to a lot of fun. A level of Lion Totem (CC ACF) Barbarian works well in this sort of build as well.

ImpieBA
2017-10-31, 06:16 AM
Ranger and Barbarian? Aw, that's just poetic for this build. I was picturing Kukri as a weapon anyway. Ranger 2/Barb 1/Warblade 17? That could work.

Eldariel
2017-10-31, 06:26 AM
Ranger and Barbarian? Aw, that's just poetic for this build. I was picturing Kukri as a weapon anyway. Ranger 2/Barb 1/Warblade 17? That could work.

That works great but I'd go Barb 2 instead - same IL and you can get a bonus feat.

rrwoods
2017-10-31, 07:46 AM
Dervish has a number of neat entry points. Ranger for free TWF, fighter for free feats in general, warblade for boosts and counters.

Darrin
2017-10-31, 08:36 AM

As Eldariel suggests, Barbarian 1 to pick up Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce and Whirling Frenzy, and then Barbarian 2 for Wolf Totem -> Improved Trip. For most initiators, you want an even-number of non-initiator levels. You can take up to 6 of these and still get 9th level maneuvers. If you're going the TWF route, then Time Stands Still makes for a nifty capstone. If you start with Ranger 2/Barb 2, you could also throw in Hit-and-Run Fighter 2 for a little Dex-to-damage and two fighter bonus feats:
Ranger 2/Barb 2/Fighter 2/Warblade 14.

I'm also rather fond of Eternal Blade.

Race: Snow Elf
Stub: Barb 2/Fighter 2/Warblade 6/Eternal Blade 10

Then there's the "Eternal Idiot" version:

Race: Snow Elf
Stub: Barb 1/Fighter 2/Warblade 6/Crusader 1/Eternal Blade 10

(Add Known Maneuvers to Warblade, add Readied/Granted Maneuvers to Crusader, and take Extra Granted Maneuver. At ECL 16, your 5 known Crusader maneuvers = 5 granted maneuvers, so you can get White Raven Tactics every single turn. Use White Raven Tactics on yourself, and act on every initiative count in the round until everyone has acted, and then the round ends.)

If you really want to take things completely off the rails: the Eternal Idiot Stands Still (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook/page3). Two full attacks every round on every initiative count.

BowStreetRunner
2017-10-31, 09:14 AM
As Eldariel suggests, Barbarian 1 to pick up Spirit Lion Totem -> Pounce and Whirling Frenzy, and then Barbarian 2 for Wolf Totem -> Improved Trip...

I'm not familiar with this approach. How are you getting a second totem at Barbarian 2?

Darrin
2017-10-31, 09:34 AM
I'm not familiar with this approach. How are you getting a second totem at Barbarian 2?

Wolf Totem Barbarian from UA trades away most Barbarian class abilities except Rage and Fast Movement. Thus, you can swap Fast Movement at Barb 1 for Pounce and rage for Whirling Frenzy, and at Barbarian 2 trade away Uncanny Dodge for Improved Trip.

Or did you want to bring up the whole monotheism argument again? (Totem poles tend to have multiple animals.)

Rerednaw
2017-10-31, 09:40 AM
Basically what the title says. I'm going into a fourth campaign right now- two are on hiatus until the semester ends, so they're a bit limited for now. This is a fairly casual campaign taking place when it does. It's intent to cut back on magic, though that it still abusable given available resources. The campaign itself is based heavily around the ToB disciplines and the dm's hoping we base around that.

Classes available are from PHB, Tome of Battle, and Complete Warrior.

Feats, weapons, acfs, and races are available from other sources.

Given the nature of the nature of the campaign, I want to have some fun with melee. I've toyed with the Daring Outlaw idea and Stormguard Robilar's/Karmic ideas. I might give them a go but they aren't standing out to me this time.

We're starting at level 4.

As for my character himself, I love the idea that he's a cocky outsider. We're all living in the city that teaches the disciplines, but we don't have to be from there originally. I love the idea that my character started outside of the three ToB classes and beat some of them before heading there himself. He'll probably pick them up or has already started them. That said, he's proud of his capabilities because he's great at being a merc. He loves it. He does it because he loves it and wouldn't take another job. This is his playground as far as he's concerned. No doubt there are plenty of people bigger than him and he can stand to be knocked down a few pegs, but that hasn't happened yet.

Naturally, that means he has to have a fairly capable build to pull that off, but I want to try something a little out of the norm. Any ideas?

Ranger is good because of the front-loading.

Or...maybe one level of fighter for the bonus feat and then move into classic warblade? I've always been fond of the Iron Heart and Diamond Mind builds. Emerald Razor for touch attacks when you NEED to hit and both IH and DM for all those "make that save or die" or "nope not feeling it at all" moments.

Good luck what ever you decide!

BowStreetRunner
2017-10-31, 09:43 AM
Wolf Totem Barbarian from UA trades away most Barbarian class abilities except Rage and Fast Movement. Thus, you can swap Fast Movement at Barb 1 for Pounce and rage for Whirling Frenzy, and at Barbarian 2 trade away Uncanny Dodge for Improved Trip.

Ah, so the Wolf totem and Whirling Frenzy are both from UA. No wonder I wasn't familiar with this. UA is rarely allowed by any of my DMs, and if it is then only specific mechanics that the DM cherry-picks.