PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5e Changing Dragonfire Adapt level 4 dragonkin and level 1 dragonthuch

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-31, 01:56 AM
Hello guys :)

I have a player playing a level 3 Dragonfire Adapt Draconic Tabbit and this feat and class feature look pointless and out of place for a Draconic creature.

I am looking for stuff to replace them.

The player want to trade one of them for Draconic Legacy or Improve Dragon Wings.

I think that Draconic Legacy will feat better but, what can he do with spells when he have no spell slots?

Nifft
2017-10-31, 02:49 AM
Tell the player to drop the template instead.

Being a level 5 Dragonfire Adept Tibbit is probably better overall.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-31, 03:08 AM
Tell the player to drop the template instead.

Being a level 5 Dragonfire Adept Tibbit is probably better overall.

We use LA buyoff, all the party had LA and now all of them don't have any, they are ECL 4 lv3.

Nifft
2017-10-31, 03:27 AM
Then maybe he could take a different template?

- Dark ("shadow dragon cat") from Tome of Magic; makes kitty stealthy.

- Fire-Souled ("fire dragon cat") from Dragon #314; makes kitty a leader.

- Chameleon ("scaly dragon cat") from Underdark; makes kitty sneaky, with a 10 ft. tongue touch attack.

- Mineral Warrior ("gem dragon cat") also from Underdark; DR 8/adamantine; +4 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, (etc.); makes kitty tough and sparkly like a diamond.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-31, 04:06 AM
Then maybe he could take a different template?

- Dark ("shadow dragon cat") from Tome of Magic; makes kitty stealthy.

- Fire-Souled ("fire dragon cat") from Dragon #314; makes kitty a leader.

- Chameleon ("scaly dragon cat") from Underdark; makes kitty sneaky, with a 10 ft. tongue touch attack.

- Mineral Warrior ("gem dragon cat") also from Underdark; DR 8/adamantine; +4 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, (etc.); makes kitty tough and sparkly like a diamond.

This is the middle of the game and the template is story bound(he like his draconic cat).

Even if I try my best he will not change the template and I am not going to force him, I am looking for a way to go around it, the story element is the most important part for us.

Nifft
2017-10-31, 04:13 AM
This is the middle of the game and the template is story bound(he like his draconic cat).

Even if I try my best he will not change the template and I am not going to force him, I am looking for a way to go around it, the story element is the most important part for us.

The thing is, the class will duplicate more aspects of the template. It's not a one-and-done thing to fix.

The other thing is: by being a Dragonfire Adept Tibbit, he is already a draconic cat. The template adds nothing to the character concept.

Anyway: the Dragonkin feature is +4 to Diplomacy checks vs. Dragons, right? That's NOT worth a good feat. It's not worth much of anything. It's basically their Resist Nature's Lure. If you want to replace it with a feat, maybe Skill Focus (Diplomacy) or Negotiator would be appropriate.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-10-31, 04:21 AM
The thing is, the class will duplicate more aspects of the template. It's not a one-and-done thing to fix.

The other thing is: by being a Dragonfire Adept Tibbit, he is already a draconic cat. The template adds nothing to the character concept.

Anyway: the Dragonkin feature is +4 to Diplomacy checks vs. Dragons, right? That's NOT worth a good feat. It's not worth much of anything. It's basically their Resist Nature's Lure. If you want to replace it with a feat, maybe Skill Focus (Diplomacy) or Negotiator would be appropriate.

The template do add to the character back story and personality, it is a big part of the character.

And I know it, that is why I was asking about two features, not only on dragonkin.

Thank you for the help with the replacement :)