PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Immortal Champion Tactics

X3r4ph
2017-10-31, 03:38 AM
I have decided to have my 18th level Rogue Sorcerer betray our group and become a villainous NPC. The things we do for power, amirite?

So. I wanna try something more in your face and have cooked up a Fighter Champion 12/ Mystic immortal 6 as a backup. It's pretty potent but I have a rule question I wanna run by you guys.

Let's say I use Blur of Motion (Celerity Discipline) as an action, move 5 feet while staying in adjacent to an opponent thus becoming invisible, then Surge of Action (also Celerity Discipline) as a bonus action...

Will I have advanage on the attack roll?

And what if I Action Surge (Fighter), continue to move between my 3 regular attacks, and then use Surge of Action for a bonus action attack? Will I have advantage on all my attacks?

AshLake
2017-10-31, 02:21 PM
I have decided to have my 18th level Rogue Sorcerer betray our group and become a villainous NPC. The things we do for power, amirite?

So. I wanna try something more in your face and have cooked up a Fighter Champion 12/ Mystic immortal 6 as a backup. It's pretty potent but I have a rule question I wanna run by you guys.

Let's say I use Blur of Motion (Celerity Discipline) as an action, move 5 feet while staying in adjacent to an opponent thus becoming invisible, then Surge of Action (also Celerity Discipline) as a bonus action...

Will I have advanage on the attack roll?

And what if I Action Surge (Fighter), continue to move between my 3 regular attacks, and then use Surge of Action for a bonus action attack? Will I have advantage on all my attacks?

I can't find blur of movement in the PDF of UA that i have under celerity, do you mean Surge of speed? beacuse that one won't make you invisible. But basicly if you attacks while invisible they will be with advantage, the important thing to note is if the invisiblity fades after attacking beacuse then only the first attack will then be with advantage.

Yes, there is nothing keeping you from blurring, Surge of action to attack once, action surge to attack 3 more times then using surge of action one last time to attack one last time. As long as the DM does not hinder you.

X3r4ph
2017-10-31, 02:31 PM
This one:

Blur of Motion (2 psi). As an action, you cause
yourself to be invisible during any of your
movement during the current turn.

Weird formating from the PDF. But how do you interpret "during any of your movement"?

Waterdeep Merch
2017-10-31, 04:56 PM
Since it's only during the movement, no, you wouldn't have advantage. The invisibility only has two real applications-

1.) It's amazing for stealth. You can suddenly run and pop behind cover or make a mad dash out in the open between spots, leaving your enemies none the wiser/bewildered.

2.) Most enemies can't take an attack of opportunity against you if you're invisible.

The issue here is that movement only means movement, and only during those times when you are using it. You stop using your movement to use actions or bonus actions.

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 03:21 AM
Damnit. I have zero counter argument following the RAW. I thought I might have found an fairly cheap way to get advantage. Thus utilising Elven Accuracy. However. Since you break up you movement between attacks it is fairly certain that the enemy can see you clearly.

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 03:28 AM
I guess I have to use Blind Spot talent then :/

Spacehamster
2017-11-01, 04:17 AM
Not possible to make it 12 champ, 4 mystic and 2 barbarian for at will advantage or is the backup char set in stone?

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 07:09 AM
Reckless Attack and Elven Accuracy is bread and butter. Its sooooo tempting. But since we already have a Barbarian I am hesitant to touch the class. I kinda wanna have a backup that can hold his own without Barbarian features.

Spacehamster
2017-11-01, 07:10 AM
Reckless Attack and Elven Accuracy is bread and butter. Its sooooo tempting. But since we already have a Barbarian I am hesitant to touch the class. I kinda wanna have a backup that can hold his own without Barbarian features.

12 champ, 3 warlock, 3 mystic with Devils sight + darkness combo?

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 07:27 AM
Our designated Warlock / Paladin / Sorcerer did that once. Since nobody could see but him everybody but him had a bad time of it. After that they told his character if he ever did it again they would flay him. Ever since then it's been a joke around the table when increasing in level. "I'm considering Warlock for that Darkness combo, what do you guys think?" *snicker*

So I have been looking for other ways to get my Advantage on. Enduring Invisibility from Nomadic Chameleon is also an idea... but then I don't get my third attack as Champion.

So yeah. Had hoped I could use this mildly cheezy combo. Still pretty expensive and really only optimal when used with Action Surge.

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 07:28 AM
But yeah. Reckless Attack is soon tasty.

Spacehamster
2017-11-01, 07:38 AM
But yeah. Reckless Attack is soon tasty.

What's your initiative like? Assassin comes to mind for advantage on first round of combat when you go before your target.

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 07:54 AM
I am planning for Dex 20 and Con 20. So it's gonna be alright.

Assassin!!! I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I could fit that in. Hmm. The auto critical is insane with with Beastial Claws.

Spacehamster
2017-11-01, 08:08 AM
I am planning for Dex 20 and Con 20. So it's gonna be alright.

Assassin!!! I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps I could fit that in. Hmm. The auto critical is insane with with Beastial Claws.

Curious why 20 CON? :) 16 should give more than enough hp and two feats would probably serve better no? Alert comes to mind for +13 to initiative at your level. :)

X3r4ph
2017-11-01, 08:30 AM
Because Immortal has unarmoured defense and it's nice to boost concentration, and hit points.

But yeah. Assassin would benefit a lot from Alert.