PDA

View Full Version : Character Hooks and Story Inspiration for Two Hand weapon Fighter

Alezaire
2017-10-31, 07:57 AM
Hi All, I'm still quite new to D&D and I've just experienced my first character death! Tragic I know. Anyway, I'm now working on a new character: a big tough fighter with a big heavy maul (basically a tank/big hitter who hopefully won't die so easily!)
I'm all set on my stats etc. (Variant Human, Level 3, Fighter, Battle Master STR 16 DEX 12 CON 14 WIS 12 INT 10 CHA 10 Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, Feat: Great Weapon Master, Maneuvers: Cleave, Precise Strike and Trip) his name is: Falan Forthwill (roughly translates to 'Smash Hammer' in Welsh)

Now I need help coming up with some cool ideas for the character's story. Who is he? Why does he fight? What's his past? etc. I really enjoy the RP side of the game but just need some inspiration... Anyone got any good ideas I can build on?

Quoz
2017-10-31, 09:06 AM
Well, start with where he got those skills. A man who fights like that probably doesn't have a background of wealth, prestige, or training. Sounds more like a guy who's used to hard work, every day. Driving railroad spikes or fence posts into the ground for hours on end, day in and day out (railroads probably don't exist in the world you play in, but maybe a prisoner in a rock quarry or a village blacksmith)

Then, what happened to shake him free of that life and learn to fight. Did he stand up to an abusive noble? form a militia against a goblin raid? chase after bandits that stole his girlfriends cow?

Finally, why is he now an adventurer? Does he have a home to go back to? is he trying to raise gold to save the family farm? Was he exiled or disowned? is he a local hero, patrolling the highways for monsters and miscreants?

Alezaire
2017-11-01, 04:10 PM
Thanks. I've got a basic idea brewing now.
Falan Forthwill spent all his life working as a shipwright, watching ships come and go and adventurers returning from far off lands with great stories to tell. Until one day he suddenly took it upon himself to board a ship and head off to have some adventures of his own. He is naive, but full of wonder and eager to explore and carve out this new path he will make for himself as he journeys across the world.