PDA

View Full Version : Help with monk feats

Leko
2017-10-31, 09:45 AM
Hello, just got level 4 on my monk (first time ever playing a monk) and I am thinking if I should get a feat or ability score increase.
I went with Variant human and I took Human Determination as a feat.

My stats are : STR 10 , AGI 18, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 13.

What would you guyz suggest?

lunaticfringe
2017-10-31, 09:47 AM
Mobile or Lucky

nickl_2000
2017-10-31, 10:06 AM
Mobile or ASI Dex. Either would be a good option for you and depend on your play style. If you are constantly moving in and out of combat and threatened space, then mobile is the way to go. On the other hand, if you often stick next to someone and beat them down an ASI dex would be a bigger boon for you.

Mobile - No AoOs against you when you move around in combat, and you can move even more than before
ASI Dex - +1 to hit, +1 damage, +1 to Dex save (pretty common).

Citan
2017-10-31, 10:08 AM
Hello, just got level 4 on my monk (first time ever playing a monk) and I am thinking if I should get a feat or ability score increase.
I went with Variant human and I took Human Determination as a feat.

My stats are : STR 10 , AGI 18, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 13.

What would you guyz suggest?
You have good stats already.
Bumping WIS by 2 would be nice for the oncoming Stunning Strike and another +1 AC, but I still feel Mobile is the better choice overall: less Ki spent on Disengage, immediate boost on your speed so less situtations in which you need to spend Ki on Dash...
So, more Ki available to Dodge when in a pinch, or for upcoming Stunning Strike, or Dodge, or archetype features, and less direct threat from attacks since it's easier for you to dart in and out of enemy melee reach.

Mobile is basically the one feat that synergizes the most with Monk.
Now, depending on your party, you may prefer other feats such as...

- Mage Slayer: usually picked up later (because you need to be resilient to venture near casters) but great for being an anti-caster.
- Alert: if your think your party will count on you taking the first turn and Stunning-pummel a dangerous enemy right from the start, it may be great.
- Inspiring Leader: a "strange" feat for a Monk, but even with a lowish CHA having short-rest THP for the party is nice.
- Ritual Caster: if there is no Wizard in your party and you like being more than "just a Monk", there are many great rituals to know (fun fact: you can choose the Wizard list even if your INT is 10, because feat requirement of 13 INT or WIS is decorrelated from the lists itselves).

Other feats may work but I feel there would be a bit too tricky or situational so I won't list them.

Leko
2017-10-31, 10:45 AM
Forgot to say I am a Sun Soul Monk.

Yeah, I was thinking of either lucky or Mobile or a stat boost to wis / agi. Might go mobile to annoy my DM even more with my huge movement speed :)).

nickl_2000
2017-10-31, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of either lucky or Mobile or a stat boost to wis / agi. Might go mobile to annoy my DM even more with my huge movement speed :)).

In the case of annoying your DM, please tell me that you are also a Tabaxi.

Mikal
2017-10-31, 11:03 AM
If this is a level up ASI/Feat and not V Human, raise your wis and dex to 20 first.

PeteNutButter
2017-10-31, 11:20 AM
Dex. Sadly nothing can compete with gettting that dex to 20 on a monk. Making 4 attacks a round means +1 to hit and damage adds about 24.5% to your DPR. It’s a massive power boost. More AC is just a bonus.

Leko
2017-10-31, 12:11 PM
In the case of annoying your DM, please tell me that you are also a Tabaxi.

Was thinking of it, but I went with Variant Human for that human determination feat :)

Leko
2017-10-31, 12:14 PM
If this is a level up ASI/Feat and not V Human, raise your wis and dex to 20 first.

Would you suggest I put the 2 points in dex to get 20 or in wis to 18 first ?

nickl_2000
2017-10-31, 12:17 PM

The AC results is the same between the two. Would you prefer a higher Save DC for monk abilities or +1 to attack/damage?

Personally, I would prefer the +1 to attack/damage since you will attack more often than you do something that requires someone do a save. That's me though.

Joe the Rat
2017-10-31, 12:26 PM

If you're going for annoying, take mobile. It's not just "move across the world in one round" because any rogue can do that. It's "move across the world, taking swipes at people then running away untouched" that is so. Damn. Frustrating. Run up, punch the evil priest and his two lackeys, possibly stunning someone, and by the time they can do something about you're hiding behind a tree in Jersey.

Be prepared for more area effects.

Citan
2017-10-31, 12:59 PM

The AC results is the same between the two. Would you prefer a higher Save DC for monk abilities or +1 to attack/damage?

Personally, I would prefer the +1 to attack/damage since you will attack more often than you do something that requires someone do a save. That's me though.
This.
I still strongly suggest Mobile but if you want to increase stat, being a Sun Soul Monk DEX becomes more important than for other Monks (like Long Death and Open Hand which really want high WIS as soon as possible).

None of the three is a bad choice, choose with your instinct. :)

Spacehamster
2017-10-31, 01:02 PM
Mobile or ASI Dex. Either would be a good option for you and depend on your play style. If you are constantly moving in and out of combat and threatened space, then mobile is the way to go. On the other hand, if you often stick next to someone and beat them down an ASI dex would be a bigger boon for you.

Mobile - No AoOs against you when you move around in combat, and you can move even more than before
ASI Dex - +1 to hit, +1 damage, +1 to Dex save (pretty common).

Don´t forget an additional +1 AC from Dex as well. :)

8wGremlin
2017-10-31, 07:12 PM
The mobility feat is worth less if you are a Sun Soul Monk (SSM)

When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

As a SSM you are making a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action.
Yes, you can forgo that and make a normal attack and that's fine, but you picked SSM for a reason.

Crossbow Master may be better in the fact you can actually use your ranged spell attack whilst next to an enemy and not get disadvantage.

MrStabby
2017-10-31, 07:30 PM
I think mobility is a great feat but less good on a monk. It lets you do stuff you can do anyway. On a Sun Soul - even worse.

My advice is to take the ASI - both wisdom and dex are good. Personally with these stats i would take Wis over dex but it depends on the rest of your party. Your real powerful impact is probably going to be by stunning enemies (in a level's time) rather than dealing damage (although without doubt the damage is respectable). Both dex and wis will make it easier to stun but wis will let you conserve Ki points better.

Nifft
2017-10-31, 07:39 PM
I'd suggest Dex 20 first, and then a feat if you want it at level 8.

By that point you'll have your level 6 goodies and you'll know better what specific deficits you want to address.

Citan
2017-10-31, 08:27 PM
The mobility feat is worth less if you are a Sun Soul Monk (SSM)

As a SSM you are making a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action.
Yes, you can forgo that and make a normal attack and that's fine, but you picked SSM for a reason.

Crossbow Master may be better in the fact you can actually use your ranged spell attack whilst next to an enemy and not get disadvantage.
True, the fact that OP is a Sun Soul does change things quite a bit since he gets a scaling, sustainable DEX-based radiant attack of 30 feet range.

So unless OP wants to usually go into melee for some Burning Hands or Stunning Strike, DEX is probably indeed the best bet.
Good catch on Crossbow Expert too even if in reality I don't really see why a SSM would put himself in such a situation in the first place. :)