PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Darkangst Edgemourn the PC

2D8HP
2017-10-31, 10:12 AM
I need a QUALITY player-character named:

Mournblade Stormwind
(or Darkfire Steelheart, or Dagger Coldedge, Grim McAngsty, Steeldark Darksteel, or whatever)

Fortunately PC creation may be systemized:

Name:

Edgy name generator! Roll 3d20!

d20
First name
Last name (1st half)
Last name (2nd half)

Agony
Beast
Arrow

Dagger
Black
Blade

Ghost
Blood
Blood

Ghoul
Cold
Bone

Gloom
Dark
Crow

Misery
Despair
Dark

Mist
Doom
Demon

Moon
Ever
Death

Pain
Fright
Eye

Raven
Fury
Flame

[Refuses to state first name]
Grim
Heart

Shadow
Hate
Ice

Shudder
Never
Mark

Spider
Pain
Martyr

Talon
Poison
Scar

Twilight
Razor
Shackle

Venom
Steel
Skin

Wander
Storm
Skull

Whisper
True
Snow

Wolf
Vengeance
Sword

A few try-outs:

Talon Despairmartyr
Dagger Razorflame
Twilight Poisonice
Venom Darkcrow
Misery Whisperdeath

Working as intended, it seems.

Class, Race, and Tragic Events:

Well, here is an edgy character generator I made for 5th edition D&D. Use with the name generator. Enjoy!

1d6
Race

Human

Half-orc

Drow

Half-drow

Tiefling

Ghostwise Halfling

1d10
Class

Fiend Warlock

Shadow Sorcerer

Assassin Rogue

Undying Warlock

Death Cleric

War Cleric

Berserker Barbarian

Hunter Ranger

Vengance Paladin

Shadow Monk

1d8
Backstory p1
1d8
Backstory p2

I was abused by
Family member(s).

I hate
Dragon(s).

My family was killed by
Orc(s).

I am a transformed
Demon(s).

I am in love with a
Devil(s).

I killed a
Drow

I have the soul of a
Ghost(s).

I work for
Assassin(s).

Alignment:

I'll add some stuff to the class table.

Alignments that are edgy? I would say CG, CN, TN, LN, LE, NE. Gives us a nice 6 alignments.

1d6
Alignment

Chaotic good, Probably racist.

Chaotic neutral, 'classic' edgy character.

True neutral. Pragmatic to the core.

Lawful neutral. Probably serves an evil higher power.

Lawful evil. Lives by her own code.

Neutral evil. Like chaotic good, but probably racist towards more people.

Edit: The characters that are being ended up with are awesome. My tables do have a lot of bugs (killing an orc isn't much), but with the working for your family, what if your family is evil?

Fashion accessories:
(Sadly requires some actual creativity, but fortunately not much)

Grimblade Mourncloud rued birth into this world of pain and especially wearing spiked bracelets and skull epaulets to the mall that matched those adorning Darkfire Stormwind who's tragic deal and awesomicity had no match. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Verily if Darkfire Stormwind had any tears left to shed, surely they would turn to steam upon release due to the bitter fires that rage inside one such as Darkfire Stormwind! Just a gaze from Darkfire Stormwind steel colored eyes (which were set off well by the spiked bracelets, and skull epaulets) was enough to turn one such as Grimblade Mourncloud into a mere tepid stain at the mall!
Darkfire Stormwind tragic deal and awesomicity were such that Darkfire Stormwind only spoke of Darkfire Stormwind in the third person. Darkfire Stormwind just liked to say Darkfire Stormwind!

This personality is good for any campaign!

Well, hold on, I think we're missing one of the most important parts of the proper edgelord here.

He's got to be misunderstood! His misanthropic nature is simply the outward manifestation of a deep-seated insecurity, resulting from the internalization of the notion that he is apart from others and always will be, that he somehow stands alone, and that no one will ever truly understand the incredible, titanic struggle within himself, nor will he ever truly be able to relate this to another person, no matter how close they become.

Darkedge Shadowblade's behavior and affectations are, in large part, due to this deep-seated need for understanding and acceptance. And yet, as a half-tiefling, half-aasimar assassin, given incredible gifts in the art of death that, in truth, are more of a burden than a boon, who can truly claim to understand or know him? Of course, he does what he must do to survive, and so he will tell himself, as his black-edged knife cuts the throat of one more unsuspecting nobleman, fatted on the wealth of the nation that he's enslaved with his unjust regime; but there will always be that shadow of self-doubt. The kind that can usually only be expressed during brooding internal monologues while Darkedge Shadowblade crouches, hunched and ready to leap at a moment's notice, on the silent gargoyles of the largest church in the city -- itself an impossibly large symbol of greed and lust for power given form in unfeeling stone -- as the rain pours down his hooded and implacable face.

You gotta' have the rain. That makes the whole scene.

:eek:

It's all 'bout packing in angst and tragedy, what do you have?

Happy Halloween!

NRSASD
2017-10-31, 11:01 AM
Venom Everflame: A true neutral Ghostwise Halfling Death Cleric, Abused by Devils. Carries a dark and terrible diary ledger where she writes down all the wrongs she's ever suffered. Seeks revenge over the pettiest slights, no matter the costs. A reckoning will not be postponed

rooster707
2017-10-31, 11:46 AM
I've always been fond of Pain Painskin, of the Mississippi Painskins myself. :smalltongue:

mikeejimbo
2017-10-31, 12:02 PM
If you work for The Family, you're clearly a mobster. Working as intended.

Anonymouswizard
2017-10-31, 12:24 PM
Ah man, edgy characters, those were the days. Although weirdly enough even my edgy characters have had normal names. I'll roll up my own edgecharacter later.

Samzat
2017-10-31, 01:59 PM
"My family was killed by family members"
Seems legit

Eldan
2017-10-31, 02:30 PM
The backstory table really needs a "by myself" point.

Also, unusual eye colour table:

1 - Dark Red
2 - Deep Violet
3 - Vibrant Green
4 - Pitch black, including sclera
5 - Golden Yellow
6 - Icy Blue
7 - Filmy white, because blind. Doesn't affect performance in any way
8 - Roll again, add catlike slit pupil

Wander Grimscar is a human war cleric with dark red eyes and catlike pupils. He is literally his own family members transformed into him. (Well, that sounds like a rather gruesome body horror scenario. I imagine the entire family was brutally torn apart by a monster and a powerful transformation mage created a new body from the remains to save the one family member still alive.)

2D8HP
2017-10-31, 02:38 PM

1 - Dark Red
2 - Deep Violet
3 - Vibrant Green
5 - Golden Yellow
6 - Icy Blue

By all the fires of Hell it's now clear that without the "Unusual Eye Colour Table" a PC lacks an essential element.

Why was it denied for so long?

THEY WILL BE A RECKONING!

Anonymouswizard
2017-10-31, 02:52 PM
In the case that the GM reacts to your character with the idea that you're taking it too far, and/or you failed to roll option 3 on the backstory (part 1) table roll on the following table.

1d12
Dead family member

Father

Mother

Grandparent

Sister

Brother

Identical twin

Fraternal twin

Son

Daughter

Self

Roll twice and combine

Cousin

Assuming you wish for a more optimised deceased family AnonymousWizardPress will be releasing the Ultimate Guide to Dead Family Members as soon as I can be bothered to write it, including both a point build system and random tables to generate the vital status of over six generations of family members.

Spore
2017-10-31, 03:18 PM
Wander Vengeancearrow, a Tiefling Assassin Rogue is a transformed family member. Ehrm....okay?

Personification
2017-10-31, 04:58 PM
Don't forget the gloomy motif tables:

Color:

Dark Red
Black
White
Dark gray
Deep Purple
Roll twice and combine

Motif/design:

Wolf
Bear
Eagle
Dragon
Demon
Leaves
Stripes
Random gashes
Reroll, if 1-5 make it crying
Reroll, if 1-5 make snarling
Reroll, if wearing armor add spikes, if wearing a cloak or robe add frayed ribbony tassels to ends (like a Mistcloak)
Roll twice and combine

EDIT: leaf includes any plant motif, and the reason design 11 only includes armor and cloaks is because if you are wearing anything else you aren't edgy enough:smallbiggrin:

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-10-31, 06:30 PM
I remember this chart. I got Pain Painskin the True Neutral Human Outlander Hunter Ranger who works for his family. It really was not very edgy at all, but honestly would be quite fun.

Personification
2017-10-31, 06:44 PM
I remember this chart. I got Pain Painskin the True Neutral Human Outlander Hunter Ranger who works for his family. It really was not very edgy at all.

Yea, but try it with the dead family member, eyes, and motif/color, then you get:

Pain Painskin the True Neutral Human Outlander Hunter Ranger who works for his family, had an identical twin brother who died, has deep violet eyes, and wears deep purple armor/a deep purple cloak with the helmet/hood (which he always wears up) fashioned like the head of a snarling bear. Plus, all of this introduction is happening while he is standing on a precarious rocky ledge during a thunderstorm, so you can only see him when lightning flashes. When you do see him, it is difficult to tell if the water on his face is just rain, or the brave tears of a tragic hero, and if the latter, is he truly a hero, or just a monster, lying to himself about his evil ways...

See, edgy

Arbane
2017-11-01, 04:19 PM

1 - Dark Red
2 - Deep Violet
3 - Vibrant Green
5 - Golden Yellow
6 - Icy Blue

Don't forget "mismatched: roll once per eye"!

Tanarii
2017-11-01, 06:32 PM
Makes me think of a recent character I had join a group: GC Vengeance Paladin who's parents were killed by vampires, so he turned to Vengeance! (No deity that I know of.) In the second session, a fellow PC had captured Raider, who had surrendered, given up the goods on where his boss was, and was blubbering "please don't kill me I don't want to die!". Ol' Vengie stabbed him in the back.

Admittedly, this was a bandit who had killed plenty of times in the past, and all that crying and pissing of pants was probably annoying to boot.

1d6
Race

Human

Half-orc

Drow

Half-drow

Tiefling

Ghostwise Halfling

Okay, Half-drow is just taking things too far. :smalleek:

Personification
2017-11-01, 10:41 PM
No, it isn't taking things far enough. What we really need is a LG outcast aasimar who is trying to redeem him/herself to his/her angelic guardian

Nifft
2017-11-02, 03:46 AM
Why isn't there an option for Half-Aasimar Half-Tiefling? One wing black as the night that I realized my uniqueness was suffering, and the other as white as the innocence that was stolen from me by this uncaring world? Forever tormented by my own superior specialness -- about which I'm totally humble because to me it's just another source of pain -- and outcast from three worlds, or maybe more if the cosmology can be expanded to include more background reasons to support why I'm unique and special.

Eldan
2017-11-02, 03:57 AM
That so reminds me of that one PBP I once ran where a player submitted a half-fey half-fiend vampire half-something else I forgot. I mean, I said multiple templates was okay, but i had assumed that that would be fluffed as "I'm a dark spirit of nature" or something like that, not "I had a parent who was a demon and a parent who was a fairy and then I was bitten by a vampire."

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-11-02, 06:37 AM

I had an idea for a half-Drow half-Dwarf character once. There would be some mild angsting, but only over their relative intolerance for alcohol, a most unbecoming flaw in a Paladin of Moradin :smallbiggrin:.

Nerd-o-rama
2017-11-02, 09:37 AM
Talon Painmark, Neutral Evil Drow Hunter Ranger, is probably played by thirteen year old who rediscovered Drizzt memes from the 90s and decided that he would be a genius and copy them now that everyone's forgotten about their source.

Or at least, he hasn't read the books, so clearly no one else has either.

gkathellar
2017-11-02, 10:43 AM

1 - Dark Red
2 - Deep Violet
3 - Vibrant Green
5 - Golden Yellow
6 - Icy Blue

If you roll two 8s, you have horizontal slit pupils like a goat.

If you roll three 8s, you have one horizontal pupil and one vertical pupil, and also people refuse to make eye contact with you because it makes them sorta dizzy.

If you roll four 8s, you're from a bizarre cave-dwelling subspecies that doesn't have functioning eyes, but you can see through the pain you feel when the light hits your highly attractive hideous mutant face. No one will ever understand what it means to see the world as shades of pain.

If you roll five 8s, your must stay blindfolded at all times because your eyes are Dark Portals Into The Hideous Terror Dimension, and they will spew forth blood demons to feast upon the world if they are ever freed from their angelic prison (did I mention the blindfold is made from angel-skin leather?). Death, too, will release the evils locked within you, but only you know this, so in order to protect the world you must constantly kill the righteous men and women who hunt you for being the abomination you know you are. Also you cry blood.

If you roll six 8s, instead of eyes you just have knives jutting out of your face. At your option, the hilt or the blade may be protruding.

If you roll seven 8s, you are a construct made out of an animate Robe of Eyes and the soul of a forsaken child, and to conceal your hideous eye-covered (but totally ripped and vaguely sexy) form you have to wrap your entire body in bandages like a mummy. This hurts a ton because you have no eyelids. Also, because you're an artificial human, you're only ever capable of the shadow of real emotion, and this makes you extremely angsty but in like a totally unemotional way. To control the homicidal rages your stolen soul drives you to, you must hunt down and kill serial killers who only kill other serial killers and eat their eyes, which makes you cry viscuous black slime that seeps out from your bandages.

If you roll eight or more 8s, all of the above.

Tanarii
2017-11-02, 10:48 AM
Referring back to 2D8's other thread on how to tell if evil: these angsty characters may or many not be. But the players who made them sure are. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2017-11-02, 11:27 AM
If you roll six 8s, instead of eyes you just have knives jutting out of your face. At your option, the hilt or the blade may be protruding.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/223e/f/2008/045/e/c/knife_eye_attack_by_eternityhero.jpg

Also if you roll eight 8s, you get mind-control spider eyes and the undying love of the Game Master.

Protato
2017-11-02, 12:22 PM
Man, my edgy character, Levi, just has a regular name. Still, with his tragic past (Orphan adopted by evil wizard to go and do evil deed in his name!), class (Hexblade warlock), and character design (ordinary human but with dark clothes, white hair, and a curved black sword), I think he qualifies for edgelord.

Anonymouswizard
2017-11-02, 12:43 PM
Man, my edgy character, Levi, just has a regular name. Still, with his tragic past (Orphan adopted by evil wizard to go and do evil deed in his name!), class (Hexblade warlock), and character design (ordinary human but with dark clothes, white hair, and a curved black sword), I think he qualifies for edgelord.

Sounds more like a edgesquire to be perfectly honest.

2D8HP
2017-11-02, 03:21 PM
(.....with dark clothes, white hair, and a curved black sword), I think he qualifies for edgelord.

That reminds me, besides Batman, Mad Max, Elric of Melniboné,

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51NsVSwLQ9L._SY400_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBz7VOtVYAA4AKW.jpg:small

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/e/elric1.jpg

and

Corum Jhaelen Irsei

http://italianswordandsorcery.altervista.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Corum-Jhaelen-Irsei-Corum-The-Prince-in-the-Scarlet-Robe.-Mike-Mignola-e1466166717337.jpg

Who are the most prominent "Edgelords" of fiction?

Eldan
2017-11-02, 03:24 PM
Well, D&D's Ur-Edgelord, Drizzle.

Scripten
2017-11-02, 03:32 PM

Wasn't the point of Drizz't to be an anti-edgelord or did I totally misread his character?

Kantaki
2017-11-02, 03:33 PM
"My family was killed by family members"
Seems legit

Sasuke Itachi, is that you?:smallamused:

2D8HP
2017-11-02, 03:39 PM

Oh yeah, of course!

Thanks.

I only read 5 pages of "Homeland", and nothing else (I think I was just too old to appreciate it), so I don't tend to think of him (despite his being so prominent in the 5e PHB).

I guess there's also Jack Bauer from 24, and pretty much the whole continent of Westeros on GoT's, but for a character "type" that feels so ubiquitous, I'm actually having a hard time thinking of that many.

Sasuke Itachi, is that you?:smallamused:

Oh right, Naruto.

My 12 year-old son used to be a big fan (we bought him video games for it, and he got a lot of books and DVD's in the series from the library).

All those "hidden villages" seemed full of "edge".

Nifft
2017-11-02, 03:45 PM
Wasn't there some kind of blind-folded anti-demon Elf dude from Warcraft who took the power of demons into himself, so he became a hated outcast in order to protect those he loved, but the darkness ate at his heart blah blah and he had two giant swords or something?

Cursed with awesome powers, hating the pain of being so cool, etc.?

If I recall correctly, that guy fits here.

Kantaki
2017-11-02, 03:50 PM
Oh right, Naruto.

My 12 year-old son used to be a big fan (we bought him video games for it, and he got a lot of books and DVD's in the series from the library).

All those "hidden villages" seemed full of "edge".

It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that post.:smalltongue:

Although to be fair, the worst offenders are villains.
Kinda. I lost track.:smallamused:

And the main character is a subversion.
Unfortunately. That jumpsuit is an eyesore.:smallbiggrin:

Max_Killjoy
2017-11-02, 03:56 PM
Wasn't there some kind of blind-folded anti-demon Elf dude from Warcraft who took the power of demons into himself, so he became a hated outcast in order to protect those he loved, but the darkness ate at his heart blah blah and he had two giant swords or something?

Cursed with awesome powers, hating the pain of being so cool, etc.?

If I recall correctly, that guy fits here.

Illidan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illidan_Stormrage) Stormrage.

Nerd-o-rama
2017-11-03, 02:19 PM
Wasn't the point of Drizz't to be an anti-edgelord or did I totally misread his character?

No, that's basically it. He's "evil race but actually good" and big on flowery poetry and all, but he's a very optimistic and caring guy. He's just...an adolescent elf.

Scripten
2017-11-03, 02:48 PM
No, that's basically it. He's "evil race but actually good" and big on flowery poetry and all, but he's a very optimistic and caring guy. He's just...an adolescent elf.

I got that feeling. Bad stuff happens to him, sure, but he doesn't seem to angst all that much. I haven't read the books in a very very long time though.

Now, for real edge, we can bring up the primary, secondary, and tertiary characters in just about any Warhammer 40K novel. Of course, it's all tongue-in-cheek so that might change whether it counts, but boy do they layer on the edge.

Nifft
2017-11-03, 02:54 PM
Now, for real edge, we can bring up the primary, secondary, and tertiary characters in just about any Warhammer 40K novel. Of course, it's all tongue-in-cheek so that might change whether it counts, but boy do they layer on the edge.

I'm not an expert, but I have played a bit in the Rogue Trader version of that universe.

IIRC there was some fun tongue-in-cheek stuff, like everything Orky, but it also seemed like there a huge quantity of non-ironic edge.

Eldan
2017-11-03, 03:49 PM
Yeah, the tone of 40k is inconsistent and has waffled around a lot over the years. Sometimes, it's "EVERYTHING IS HUGE AND AWESOME", sometimes it's simply dark, sometimes it's unintentionally so over the top dark you can't take it seriously anymore and sometimes it's intentional parody of how dark it is.

It used to contain a bit more parody.

Guizonde
2017-12-02, 07:52 PM
Don't forget "mismatched: roll once per eye"!

out of many characters i rolled using whfrp's "unusual features" chart, i only got something else besides "mismatched eyes" once. that one time was a nose ring. i gave up and now always choose "mismatched eyes" whenever applicable. in honor of my first character, those colors are golden/hazel and violet (because nothing screams "boring" like pink and yellow eyes). failing that, one green and one blue. oddly enough, the violet eye is quite appropriate in 40k if your character comes from the scarus sector: it's a "racial" trait of cadians and their descendants.

most of my characters aren't really edgy, either. they've just got weird eyes, a slight sociopathic streak, and a penchant for the smokables (cigars, pipes, hookahs, cigarettes... best excuse ever to have a lighter on hand).

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-02, 08:43 PM
out of many characters i rolled using whfrp's "unusual features" chart, i only got something else besides "mismatched eyes" once. that one time was a nose ring. i gave up and now always choose "mismatched eyes" whenever applicable. in honor of my first character, those colors are golden/hazel and violet (because nothing screams "boring" like pink and yellow eyes). failing that, one green and one blue. oddly enough, the violet eye is quite appropriate in 40k if your character comes from the scarus sector: it's a "racial" trait of cadians and their descendants.

most of my characters aren't really edgy, either. they've just got weird eyes, a slight sociopathic streak, and a penchant for the smokables (cigars, pipes, hookahs, cigarettes... best excuse ever to have a lighter on hand).

I've personally had many characters who are 'shifty', but not actually edgy. Heck, one of the edgiest characters I played was an attempt at playing a previously edgy character, he entered play several years after he'd attempted to straighten his life out (he was still extremely kooky and owned some books that his bosses likely would not have approved of, but he was honestly trying). He ended up appearing shifty but acted extremely honestly and earnestly, he ended up studying to become a priest after the campaign ended. The same campaign featured a church-raised assassin who was 16 and exploited to perform sinful acts because he was already damned, who was essentially the 'this is so awesome' version of an edgelord (awesomelord?) and carried a katana because they are apparently the 'greatest swords ever designed'*.

Now my characters tend towards long coats, but that's because my last GM tended towards using cities that got cold and wet a lot (such as London during winter), they appear a lot less when we're not in such climates. Actually led to a hilarious moment when the entire group discovered we'd independently given our characters knee length coats, and so stood out like a sore thumb.

On the subject of heterochromia, never had a character with it, but I've had plenty of them with internal/central heterochromia (ring of another colour around the pupil) because I have the gold-blue/green-blue version myself. Otherwise they tend towards brown eyes, I've got a thing for going for more generic look.

* This caused an argument, I'm a massive fan of European swords who believes katana were only suited to their environment. I currently arm character with infantry sabres in European settings, and jian in Chinese settings.

Personification
2017-12-02, 11:06 PM
I've personally had many characters who are 'shifty', but not actually edgy. Heck, one of the edgiest characters I played was an attempt at playing a previously edgy character, he entered play several years after he'd attempted to straighten his life out (he was still extremely kooky and owned some books that his bosses likely would not have approved of, but he was honestly trying). He ended up appearing shifty but acted extremely honestly and earnestly, he ended up studying to become a priest after the campaign ended. The same campaign featured a church-raised assassin who was 16 and exploited to perform sinful acts because he was already damned, who was essentially the 'this is so awesome' version of an edgelord (awesomelord?) and carried a katana because they are apparently the 'greatest swords ever designed'*.

You were attacked by a version of Szeth-son-son-Vallano who got his awesomeness (and age) lowered?

JNAProductions
2017-12-02, 11:14 PM
I'd like to share this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1foWkHWzZhVFy5XJCw4oQ9aIm9ImKb_sE45AkG6LdfuI/edit?usp=sharing) for a laugh. Good quotes include:

-and snakes covered the baby like a throne.

The young red-eyed elf was not in the world around him, he was different from everyone, he felt a hatred ...

"PRATICES AND STUDY ARE FOR AMATEUR. TRUE POWER IS A BIRTHRIGHT".
Nameless King
Says the Warlock. :P

Arbane
2017-12-02, 11:27 PM
I'd like to share this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1foWkHWzZhVFy5XJCw4oQ9aIm9ImKb_sE45AkG6LdfuI/edit?usp=sharing) for a laugh. Good quotes include:

Says the Warlock. :P

Is this by That Guy who keeps showing up here with his Mary Sueorcerer character?

JNAProductions
2017-12-02, 11:31 PM
Is this by That Guy who keeps showing up here with his Mary Sueorcerer character?

Ee-yup. He sent me a PM, announcing himself as a banned user. (Don't worry, I reported it.)

I'm just confused why he chose me. Should I feel honored? Or apathetic? :P

And just... My god, that backstory. Look at it. LOOK AT IT! HOW DO YOU COVER SOMETHING LIKE A THRONE?

2D8HP
2017-12-03, 01:27 AM
I'd like to share this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1foWkHWzZhVFy5XJCw4oQ9aIm9ImKb_sE45AkG6LdfuI/edit?usp=sharing)
.....The development of the orphan baby was a mystery, but he survived without any love and affection alone in the world.......

.....With such power, he ventured into the depths, made powerful Pacts, and acquired powerful eyes that saw in the deepest darkness and powers ever imagined....

....The villain loved to hide in the shadows as he watched his Undead devour the invaders of darkness.......

......Able to manipulate illusions, battle tactics and a legion of undead he destroyed and annihilated the school of necromancy, turning them all into new tools.......

*cries tears of joy*

That is...

...the finest back-story EVUH!

*sob*

I salute it's majesty!

Personification
2017-12-03, 01:38 AM
Ee-yup. He sent me a PM, announcing himself as a banned user. (Don't worry, I reported it.)

I'm just confused why he chose me. Should I feel honored? Or apathetic? :P

And just... My god, that backstory. Look at it. LOOK AT IT! HOW DO YOU COVER SOMETHING LIKE A THRONE?

Parsimoniously

War_lord
2017-12-03, 01:52 AM
You you could just, you know, let people play the character they want to play in a fantasy game, instead of complaining about any character who isn't a noblebright Hobbit-type with loving parents, two kindly uncles, five siblings, a wife, three kids and a dog named toby, who's adventuring for... some reason, instead of actually looking after his familial responsibilities.

Lord Raziere
2017-12-03, 01:59 AM
.....The development of the orphan baby was a mystery, but he survived without any love and affection alone in the world.......

.....With such power, he ventured into the depths, made powerful Pacts, and acquired powerful eyes that saw in the deepest darkness and powers ever imagined....

....The villain loved to hide in the shadows as he watched his Undead devour the invaders of darkness.......

......Able to manipulate illusions, battle tactics and a legion of undead he destroyed and annihilated the school of necromancy, turning them all into new tools.......

*cries tears of joy*

That is...

...the finest back-story EVUH!

*sob*

I salute it's majesty!

Uh real talk: please tell me your being sarcastic, but your trying too hard if you are and its obnoxious. if you aren't its still obnoxious. tone it down. like your entire attitude, is just obnoxious and annoying whether its for real or not. I don't really care which. just please tone it down. especially when it comes to this weird angsty PC schtick you have going here, its particularly obnoxious when you keep constantly proclaiming this every single time it comes up and if its a joke, it stopped being funny like two seconds after you posted it the first time. like I get your trying to find some laughs or whatever, but I just find it annoying that you keep pigeonholing all PCs into super-angsty stuff like this whether you intend it to be funny or not. like I wish I could laugh at the joke but its just making me roll my eyes because its just so tiresome. like I know your joking, but I'm feeling nothing but annoyance from it.

and oh hey, a backstory that'll make good snark fodder. I'll have to do an MST of it. at least for myself.

Tanarii
2017-12-03, 05:05 AM
Don't stop or tone it down 2D8. It's freakin hilarious. :smallamused:

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-03, 05:12 AM
You were attacked by a version of Szeth-son-son-Vallano who got his awesomeness (and age) lowered?

Please, this was a party member who had no actual awesomeness. Szeth is a good example of the character he was going for, what he ended up with was essentially an anime ninja (he was a massive anime fanboy, hence the 'katanas age the greatest swords ever invented') in a party that consisted of an ex-cultist, two nuns, and a private detective.

The character also broke rules and we didn't discover it for about three months because he didn't share his build with anybody.

Now anime ninjas have their place. Fighting alongside a Solar Exalt is one. Another is Tokyo being invaded by aliens. What is not their place is a group of church employed to run around modern day London and root out cultists.

You you could just, you know, let people play the character they want to play in a fantasy game, instead of complaining about any character who isn't a noblebright Hobbit-type with loving parents, two kindly uncles, five siblings, a wife, three kids and a dog named toby, who's adventuring for... some reason, instead of actually looking after his familial responsibilities.

That works until one person has a massively different idea of what sort of fantasy we're playing to everybody else. Or the character doesn't work with the party, which is the big problem with edgy characters.

Must Edgelords I've seen have been grizzled liner types who don't like other people, and hang around for significantly happier people. It gets even more insane when everybody is an Edgelord, which I've personally never seen happen.

So yeah, it's mainly a problem with when you get parties that consist of Bob the Fighter, Jeff the Wizard, Sally the Rogue, Alice the Cleric, and Bloodknife Painhurt.

War_lord
2017-12-03, 05:55 AM
That works until one person has a massively different idea of what sort of fantasy we're playing to everybody else. Or the character doesn't work with the party, which is the big problem with edgy characters.

Really? Because all I ever see is stuff like "that character's backstory has dead parents, lol edgy!". For a community that consumes Comic books, Anime, action movies, roleplaying games and fantasy fiction almost as a matter of course there's a surprising willingness make giant sweeping condemnations much in the same way many would dismiss these hobbies altogether as being "kids stuff".

Must Edgelords I've seen have been grizzled liner types who don't like other people, and hang around for significantly happier people.

What's an "edgelord" how do you actually tell someone who's "trying too hard to be cool" from someone who's genuinely making the character they want to play? If there's a tonal problem talk to the player. When I DM I'm pretty upfront about "no silly joke characters" (because it stops being funny halfway through session two), I don't wait for my players to make their characters, see that one of them has made a bumbling old Rock Gnome Wizard with 4 Perception, and then complain about their humorous character ruining my Dark Fantasy inspired setting. I clarify tone ahead of time so that it doesn't become an issue.

It gets even more insane when everybody is an Edgelord, which I've personally never seen happen.

I'm rather past the stage of my life where I think in terms like "edgy" or the related term "tryhard". I play D&D for fun, not to revert back to the high school dilemma of "well I want people to think I'm cool, but actually showing any interest or passion is a faux pas".

So yeah, it's mainly a problem with when you get parties that consist of Bob the Fighter, Jeff the Wizard, Sally the Rogue, Alice the Cleric, and Bloodknife Painhurt.

If the DM has failed establish the tone in his initial pitch, and failed to review the characters before play, whose fault is it?

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-03, 06:32 AM
Really? Because all I ever see is stuff like "that character's backstory has dead parents, lol edgy!". For a community that consumes Comic books, Anime, action movies, roleplaying games and fantasy fiction almost as a matter of course there's a surprising willingness make giant sweeping condemnations much in the same way many would dismiss these hobbies altogether as being "kids stuff".

Eh, what I was saying is that if the group decides they're playing the type of fantasy that includes edgelords (which, I'll be honest, happens at least half the time in my experience) then they're fine, but if only one member of the group wants that there's going to be some problems.

What's an "edgelord" how do you actually tell someone who's "trying too hard to be cool" from someone who's genuinely making the character they want to play? If there's a tonal problem talk to the player. When I DM I'm pretty upfront about "no silly joke characters" (because it stops being funny halfway through session two), I don't wait for my players to make their characters, see that one of them has made a bumbling old Rock Gnome Wizard with 4 Perception, and then complain about their humorous character ruining my Dark Fantasy inspired setting. I clarify tone ahead of time so that it doesn't become an issue.

Honestly? My solution is to be there at character creation, make sure what seems to have been created fits, and not asking for backstories until I have an opinion of the character.

Heck, I refuse to let a campaign start with characters that weren't created together, precisely because of this. I've seen characters that don't fit, including at least once mine, break campaigns.

FWIW, I can't explain it, but there is a difference between 'tragedy to try and improve the character' and 'tragedy that is OMG so edgy' that can be deduced when reading a backstory. It is however a very fine line and exists mostly in the presentation, I'll generally let 'edgyness' slide if the backstory makes it look like the character's not just sat around moping but has actually tried to make something out of his life.

I'm rather past the stage of my life where I think in terms like "edgy" or the related term "tryhard". I play D&D for fun, not to revert back to the high school dilemma of "well I want people to think I'm cool, but actually showing any interest or passion is a faux pas".

Yeah, I honestly don't give a darn about the character if they fit the setting. The problem is that even when I go for dark fantasy my settings end up weirdly hopeful, and with the idea that the only people who will make a difference are those who stop moping and try as hard as they can.

Heck, my problem with 'edgy' characters is generally that I think there's not enough effort being put into them. I think you can take a character who has had a horrible backstory and go one of two routes, Darkangst Edgemourn or an attempt to create a three dimensional character who is affected by their tragedy but not defined by it (which is really hard, I very rarely managed to get the 'affected by their tragedy' into my final personality).

If the DM has failed establish the tone in his initial pitch, and failed to review the characters before play, whose fault is it?

Well sure, it's the GM's fault there. But sometimes characters slip past, like what sounds like a character focused on stealth and not being seen turning out to be capable of dodging bullets (a dyslexic GM who didn't want to read every character sheet and worked on the basic concept). Although that character eventually fit in personality wise (we had maybe one legitimately sane member, somebody who didn't understand society worked), the build was really weird for the game.

2D8HP
2017-12-03, 09:17 AM
Don't stop or tone it down 2D8. It's freakin hilarious. :smallamused:.
2D8HP curses cruel fate:

CURSE YOU CRUEL FATE!
"mumble, mumble, mumble, I must, mumble WHATEVER THE COST! :smallfurious:

Jormengand
2017-12-03, 10:20 AM
I sometimes think that this talk of "Too edgy" characters goes a little bit too far.

I want you to imagine a man whose name means Eagle No-one'sson, who is a human assassin (tables 2 and 3) - in fact, his entire backstory can be summed up as "I work for assassins" (table 4) - he's been trained from birth to assassinate people, essentially. He gradually changes from chaotic to lawful neutral, and is not only pragmatic to the core but definitely serves an evil higher power, though he doesn't know it at the time.

As for "He's got to be misunderstood! His misanthropic nature is simply the outward manifestation of a deep-seated insecurity, resulting from the internalization of the notion that he is apart from others and always will be, that he somehow stands alone, and that no one will ever truly understand the incredible, titanic struggle within himself, nor will he ever truly be able to relate this to another person, no matter how close they become," that's almost exactly his personality.

Who am I talking about? None other than Altaïr Ibn La'Ahad (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Alta%C3%AFr_Ibn-La%27Ahad), one of the most popular characters in gaming history. Let edgy characters be edgy; they can still be awesome.

Tanarii
2017-12-03, 11:09 AM
Really? Because all I ever see is stuff like "that character's backstory has dead parents, lol edgy!".Yeah pretty much. Of course, Vladamir Darkbane, vengeance paladin, who's parents were killed by vampires and now he wants VENGEANCE, is a bit more trope-y that that. :smallamused:

But if it's not an actual problem, keep your cracking up on the inside, and maybe come to the forums to laugh about it.

Of course, depending on the game system, taking the piss is the entire point. Certainly it is for D&D ... it was invented based on taking the piss out of, and making corny stereotypes of, any number of pop-culture stuff the original wargamers had read in sci-if and fantasy books. It wasn't until later that people went all: must serious 'roleplay' ARGLE BARGLE

Edit: What makes me really laugh is when people are trying to combine those. They are totally serious about their lengthy actually-just-here-to-write backstory about Sir Edgelord, because roleplay* is serious bidness. :smallbiggrin:

*not, yknow, actual roleplay. Just the part that means "writing a long torturous fanfic backstory"

The Glyphstone
2017-12-03, 11:39 AM
I sometimes think that this talk of "Too edgy" characters goes a little bit too far.

I want you to imagine a man whose name means Eagle No-one'sson, who is a human assassin (tables 2 and 3) - in fact, his entire backstory can be summed up as "I work for assassins" (table 4) - he's been trained from birth to assassinate people, essentially. He gradually changes from chaotic to lawful neutral, and is not only pragmatic to the core but definitely serves an evil higher power, though he doesn't know it at the time.

As for "He's got to be misunderstood! His misanthropic nature is simply the outward manifestation of a deep-seated insecurity, resulting from the internalization of the notion that he is apart from others and always will be, that he somehow stands alone, and that no one will ever truly understand the incredible, titanic struggle within himself, nor will he ever truly be able to relate this to another person, no matter how close they become," that's almost exactly his personality.

Who am I talking about? None other than Altaïr Ibn La'Ahad (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Alta%C3%AFr_Ibn-La%27Ahad), one of the most popular characters in gaming history. Let edgy characters be edgy; they can still be awesome.

The crucial difference there is that Altair is the solo protagonist of a story. He doesn't have to share the narrative and spotlight equally with 3-5 other characters who are equally edgy and lonesome and awesometastic sweetsauce.

Guizonde
2017-12-03, 12:33 PM

as awesome as your post is, you can give that treatment to a hell of a lot of other characters: mario, link, doomguy (especially with his "reboot" by bethesda). i think the distinction to be made is whether you're writing a byronic hero or you're a hack.

sure, there's the typical tropes to go with your edgelord character, and this thread covers them nicely. what i really like is subverting them. my current character is:

-half-drow
-heterochromic (purple and golden)
-wears mostly black, some blood red
-complete sociopath
-has parent issues (like, his father is missing in action, his mom left him on his dad's doorstep)
-criminal adolescence
-possessed by a tome of eldritch horror
-has substance abuse problems
-works as an inquisitor
-his last name translates to "rose thorn"

everyone calls him "josé" and he's usually both the skillmonkey and the barrel of laughs of the group. he's just a socially maladjusted half-blood with a hard background trying to do his best to make golarion a better place. hell, despite what the dm tries to make of that character, he's about as anti-edgelord as he can be played. whereas some people have grimdarkified the pokémon universe. i think it boils down to "how can you write an effective character with a tragic past without going over the top on the angst". some people will have fun making edgy characters on purpose, but i think this thread is about mocking the bad fanfic writers who think that "edgy" is cool. that was cool back in the 90's. not nearly the 2020's. now it's time to make light of this.

(but seriously, your post was awesome).

Max_Killjoy
2017-12-03, 01:26 PM

Part of it is that people for some reason mistake the worst of something for all of it. They confuse the superficial trappings of a certain sort of character with what amounts to a character that would be badly written or played no matter what its superficial trappings were. Bad characters are bad characters whether they're "edge" or not.

And then there are those stupid "You might be an edgelord if..." checklists that people use to belittle and spit on any character coincidentally who has even one or two of the listed characteristics -- and like the even more idiotic "mary sue" checklists, they just keep growing, adding on more and more supposed red flags until only the most bland and banal and saccharine of lit-fic worthy characters are "acceptable".

Arbane
2017-12-03, 02:13 PM
Yeah pretty much. Of course, Vladamir Darkbane, vengeance paladin, who's parents were killed by vampires and now he wants VENGEANCE, is a bit more trope-y that that. :smallamused:

But if it's not an actual problem, keep your cracking up on the inside, and maybe come to the forums to laugh about it.

Of course, depending on the game system, taking the piss is the entire point. Certainly it is for D&D ... it was invented based on taking the piss out of, and making corny stereotypes of, any number of pop-culture stuff the original wargamers had read in sci-if and fantasy books. It wasn't until later that people went all: must serious 'roleplay' ARGLE BARGLE

Edit: What makes me really laugh is when people are trying to combine those. They are totally serious about their lengthy actually-just-here-to-write backstory about Sir Edgelord, because roleplay* is serious bidness. :smallbiggrin:

*not, yknow, actual roleplay. Just the part that means "writing a long torturous fanfic backstory"

I can't remember where I saw it, but I once read someone Telling Me About His Character, who was a Gargoyle (from the Disney cartoon) with an utterly horrific backstory - clan all dead, hideously scarred, missing one wing.... but the player would lapse into his traumatic backstory grimderp brooding with even the TINIEST prompt. "Ice cream? No colder than the WINDS OF VENGEANCE that pour from my blackened heart". It wrapped back around to pure black comedy.

2D8HP
2017-12-07, 07:13 PM
I have now found Darkangst Edgemourn:

BACKGROUND: The birth of the Nameless King was a disaster, his parents were killed by a sudden explosion and snakes covered the baby like a throne. Camponents tried to kill the red-eyed, white-haired baby with an arrow, but a shield of energy blocked the attack (Shield Spell). The development of the orphan baby was a mystery, but he survived without any love and affection alone in the world. His name was Lucius Threvor.
The young red-eyed elf was not in the world around him, he was different from everyone, he felt a hatred ... But he always followed rules strictly, always manipulative and with an intimidating image.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c1/ee/bc/c1eebca2bfc59010f5795130c390a45e.jpg

The beginning of the end:
The young elf was taken to necromancy school to understand his power. But, his personality strength and arrogance did not accept the way they learned magic. His inability to learn large numbers of spells and his way of manipulating magic challenged school leaders. Expelled and humiliated by Wizard Balther with 6 powerful undeads around him, he fled the big city and hid in the darkness. Though humiliated, he worshiped the dark and deep eyes of sinister magic.
In the darkness, the chaotic power began to manifest, but he did not surrender, control and mold to his pleasure. After defeating defeating some opponents, he created his first skeleton with his already decomposing body. It was bone-shaped power.

With such power, he ventured into the depths, made powerful Pacts, and acquired powerful eyes that saw in the deepest darkness and powers ever imagined.
The villain loved to hide in the shadows as he watched his Undead devour the invaders of darkness.
When his power reached an unattainable level, he began mortal duels and learned defensive tactics and manipulation, Otherworldly Wings and the power of flying freely began to cause mass destruction.
Now with the bodies of the dead, he brought them back to serve him. Able to manipulate illusions, battle tactics and a legion of undead he destroyed and annihilated the school of necromancy, turning them all into new tools.
With his Temple, the surrogate ability to hide in the shadows and power of destruction he is advancing his troops to the end of those who abandoned him.
After long years, his name has been forgotten and is now known as "Nameless King", the killer of Wizards.

GOAL: The main objective of the villain is to acquire the artifact that allows to know the true names of Devils and Devils to use them to his pleasure.

"PRATICES AND STUDY ARE FOR AMATEUR. TRUE POWER IS A BIRTHRIGHT".
"Sorcerer King"

BUILD:

Nameless King (Divine Soul Sorcerer 17 / Hexblade 3)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e7/67/d9/e767d953ed332be069a4f1c1e3ae3d40.jpg

Medium humanoid (Wood Elf), Lawful Evil
Armor Class 27 (Shield +3, Robe of Archmagi,+4 Dex, +3 Charisma - Dragon Mask)
Hit Points 145
Speed 30ft, Fly Speed 30ft
STR
8 (-1)
DEX
18 (+4)
CON
16 (+3)
INT
8 (-1)
WIS
8 (-1)
CHA
16 (+3)

Saving Throws Cha+9, CON +9 (Advantage against Spells and other magical effects)
Skills Stealth +20 (+6 Proficiency +10 Pass without trace Spells + 4 dex, Darkness/Invisibility Advantage), Sleigh of Hand +10 (+6 proficiency +4 Dex), others skills doesnt deitaled

Damage Resistance: Ranged attack;
Immunities: Poison, Divination

Senses passive: Perception 15, See invisible
Magic Resistance: The Nameless King has advantage on saving
throws against spells and other magical effects.
Ranged Attack Resistence. The Nameless has damage resistence against ranged damage.

Spellcasting:

The Nameless is an 17th-level Sorcerer and 3rd-level Warlock. Its
spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 19, +11 to hit
with spell attacks).

Cantrips (at will):.Eldrich Blast, Mage Hand, Blade Ward, Prestidigitation, Guidance, Minor Image, Toll of Dead, Melding
1st level (4 slots): Cure Wounds (free), Sanctuary, Longstride (feat bonus)
2nd level (3 slots): See Invisible, Silence, Earth Bind, Pass without trace (feat bonus), Alter Self, Darkness
3rd level (3 slots): Counterspell, Revify, Anime Dead, Major Image, Magic Circle
4th level (3 slots): Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Freedom of Movement, Death Ward
5th level (3 slots): Planar Binding
6th level .(1 slot): Planar Ally
7th level (l slot): Teleport
8th level (l slot):
9th level (l slot): Wish

ACTIONS
Ranged Weapon Attack (Oathbow): +13 to hit, reach 600 feet, one target. Hit: (1d8 +4 + Purple Worm Posion (DC 19, 42 average damage) piercing damage.

Itens:
+3 Shield
Robe of The Archmagi
Periapt of Proof against Poison
Staff of Swarming Insects
Purple Worm Poison
Dragon Mask

Feature and Spells know:

Some Background Feature
Font Of Magic (17)
Metamagic
MM: Distant Spell
MM: Twin Spell
MM: Heightein Spell
MM: Subtle Spell
Divine Magic
Favor Of The Gods
Empowered Healing
Otherworldy Wings
Pact Magic
Invocation
Eldritch Spear
Devil's Sight
Pact of the Blade
Hexblade's Curse
Hex Warrior
ASIs: Spell Sniper, Shield Master, War Caster, Wood Elf Magic
Warlock 4 Spells Know
Sorcerer 15 Spells Know

Don't know about Coffeelock ?
Find here[/url]

The Villain Active Spells:
Well, the DM was pretty clear. Coffeelock keeps steath and buffs when start an Attack/Defense . This is Coffeelock's signature. Then, Death Ward, Contingency: Teleport, Darkness, Sanctuary, Mirror Image, See Invisible and any other Spell Know. If the spells are over, he returns to his Temple of Gods for Short Rest.

Direct Combat tatic:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/9a/d1/3f/9ad13f8cdab4b0a83699dbfcbcbfe1d1.jpg

The NK and his Simulacrum is flying 1200' way and/or Stealth (+20 Stealth check and advantage, Darkness or Invisibility)

The NK's Attack:
Distant Metamagic + Spell sniper feat + Eldrich Spear (1.200 feet range). If the enemies is close enough, he casts Distant Dimension Door (1.000 feet)
If the enemies is within 600', The Simulacrum casts Distant Earth Bind. If Earth Binded, Silence Spells is devasting against spellcasters. The NK ignores silence effects with subtle spells.
Also, Simulacrum's Distant Silence + NK's Wish: Force Cage (Trapping the enemie and the NK) is devasting
If the enemy tries to use get cover, the villain will be stealth and the Undeads will attack them.
While the NK is steath, it can freely use his illusions and Subtle Enemies Abound, Subtle Earth Bind, Subtle Charm Person, Subtle Command to analyze the active buffs on the target.
Heightein Catapult (No verbal component): It's amazing on the battlefield, you can simply destroy walls, covers and give high damage from invaders while staying stealth. Fantastic.

Feeblemind or any save or suck : NK is protected by Heightein Sanctuary. Also, The Nameless King has acess to Greater Restauration Spell and Staff of Swarming Insects (No button and no concentration! ) and Programmed Illusion.

Globe of Invulnerability: The Simulacrum uses Oathbow (+13 attack roll + Advantage + 1d8 piercing + 4 Dex + 3d6 piercing damage) + Purple Worm Posion (DC 19 or take 42 average damage) = 59 average damage per shot.

Indirect Combat Tatic:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/65/ae/ac/65aeac83f3939302a36fe5395689284c.jpg

Master of Stealth, Dircord and Illusion:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f2/34/ae/f234ae8a32cc4ce524d7a66af31398c0.jpg

The NK is able to create multiples Major Images (Permanent) and can use stealth action to move them. Flying Images against enemies unable to fly and if they fly, They will be vulnerable. He also used Wish: Programmed Illusion on condition of being attacked directly. Distant Casting Minor Image is useful to creat panic.
This further hinders the enemy from going on an alpha strike, forcing them to spend their teleports and exposing themselves.
Of course, meanwhile the Undeads are hungry.
The Nameless King can steal material component bag and spellbooks with Stealth and Sleigh of Hand.

Necromancy:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/1b/af/93/1baf93957bce13aa0a2b1cf8da32c191.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ff/3a/70/ff3a708d8be152413d68e8eb183a6ca3.jpg

The Nameless King and his Simulacrum casts Animate Dead, creating a horde of Undeads. The Nameless King prefer Archers (Longbow and Purple Worm Poison) and Low-level Mages:
Archers attack from long range and are always alert with perception checks to detect any approaching enemy.
Low-Level Mages casts Earth Bind and Magic Missales.
Undead don't walk together, they have a space between them, so, they are not an easy target for area spells.
Undeads destroy any cover available on the battlefield, to make the battlefield as open as possible. No places to hide or run away.

Detail: Be very careful with Undeads, they are dangerous and Simulacrum can use Alter Self (Skelleton or Zombie) and deal mortal Ranged Attacks (59 damage per shot) and casts free Subtle Spells. You will not even notice it and you'll be dead quickly.

The Nameless King is the best Necromancer of the entire game.

Army of Darkness:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/99/39/53/993953c3de67cddf63a0c87745b558df.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/24/30/52/243052a70d10c6748d4cf4dde5b108e4.jpg

The villain is extremely efficient when summoning demons, as Lawful Evil villain is extraordinarily organized and tyrant.
Why is he better than the others? Simple, Heightein Metamagic and acess to Planar Binding and Planar Ally. The powerful fiends have an advantage over magic and are very powerful. At the same cost, the villain has the DOUBLE chance of being successful (Heightein Metamagic).

Undoubtedly, this is the most dangerous part of Villain. However, it is easily overcome.
The villain uses Magic Circle (Heigher Level), every hour the villain applies multiple times Heightein Planar Binding (Heighter Level) against Empyrean until winning.
The villain prepared the group of fiends to defeat the Empyrean, if necessary.
First he summons the Coualt, Fiends, Genius and then the Empyrean.

The villain will summon multiple creatures (as much as possible) and use them only in strategic and extreme cases.

He is extraordinarily stealth and can infiltrate (Alter Self) between them and use Sutble Metamagic while using spells freely, making it impossible for enemies to identify the real villain.

The main tactic of the Fiends is to remove any synchrony between the group, to catch the attention of the group while the villain observes the perfect time of the attack. The fiends mages are efficient for counterspell and magic missiles, they are also invisible.

Fiends

- Arcanaloth:
- Alter self: Duplicate Villain at will, Invisibility at will, Magic Missale at will, MindBlank, Counterspell (Amazing against spellcasters) and others.
- Ultraloth dispel magic at will, Mass Sugestion, Invisibility at will and others
- Witches
- Nycaloth

Celestials:
- Couatl: Greater Restauration and suporting
- Empyrean

Elemental
- Genies

Premises:

- Do not ignore the villain's defenses. How did you identify the true? How did you bypass Sanctuary? Is your character able to see the enemy? How to perceive the presence of the enemy? How did you defeat the Undead perception checks ? How to know the location or who is the enemy?

- Unearthed Arcane is disallowed (Obviouly).

- Wish dependent on DM approval, does not work.

- Teleport (Chance to fail) + Save of Suck (Counterspell) does not work if you do not respond how you beat the villain's defenses.

- The temple of the gods is very well hidden and its location is not obvious (you need be able to locate it), Mighty Fortress + Temple of the Gods work well together and the entire temple is protected by permanent Wall of Stones. Inside the temple has the most powerful Undeads and Fiends ever alert. Inside the Temple is a Clone Spell.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/80/60/84/806084c5b05e866258ec7f966bee7594.jpg

- All villain equipment has Instant Summon Spell.

- All as permanent and long lasting spells were casted previously and not at the time of battle: Programmed Illusions, Major Images, Planar Binding and others

- Meta-game is not allowed, you (Player) knows the character's build, but not your character. So your character needs to be able to know about villain information. Otherwise, your tactic will NOT be valid..
Will we ever see the like again?

Tanarii
2017-12-07, 09:31 PM
I was like ... this has to be a joke, right?

Then I saw it seems to actually be an NPC villain. And it all made sense. Nobody can make an edgelord-ier character than a storyteller DM's villain. 😂 (C.f. all WFRP)

Max_Killjoy
2017-12-07, 11:08 PM
It's never a good sign when someone uses the term "Undeads".

Personification
2017-12-07, 11:18 PM
Ha! I knew that the snakes covering the baby like a throne was done parsimoniously!:smallcool: