PDA

View Full Version : Morphic Familiar and Feats

ATHATH
2017-10-31, 04:26 PM
If a Wizard with the 5th level Changeling Wizard substitution level has his familiar use its Morphic Familiar ability to change into a familiar with a different number of HD/feats, can the familiar reassign its feats?

ATHATH
2017-10-31, 10:29 PM
Familiars have the feats the basic monster has. If you morph it, it gets the feats of the new form. No assigning or reassigning to be made.
The problem is, some forms (especially those made available by the Improved Familiar, Dragon Familiar, and Darkness Familiar feats) have enough HD to give them extra feats, while others... don't.

Also, if they squinted a bit, one could interpret "a familiar like my current cat familiar, but with the Shape Soulmeld feat instead of the Darkstalker feat" as "any other type of familiar you could have.". Alternatively, if your DM focuses on the "other type" part of that quoted segment, you could turn your cat familiar into a rat familiar, then turn that rat familiar into a cat familiar with the desired feat. I dunno if that's relevant, but it's something that I had thought of.

ATHATH
2017-10-31, 10:31 PM
Also: How does the Spell-Linked Familiar feat interact with Morphic Familiar?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-10-31, 10:35 PM
How about the spell sovereign's living spell familiar, from Dragon #357?

ATHATH
2017-11-01, 12:21 AM
How about the spell sovereign's living spell familiar, from Dragon #357?
Yeah, I've considered dipping into Spell Sovereign for my build, but I think being able to use pretty much every 4th level or less AoE spell at-will is a bit too cheesy for the game I'm planning to participate in.

Having my familiar turn into stuff in order to access their SLAs is fine, though, although it can't recharge SLAs by re-transforming into a race (according to the DM's (house?) ruling on this).