PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other DR feats

Malapterus
2017-10-31, 04:52 PM
I have always been disappointed by the nit-picky details of Damage Reduction. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me, since generally the only thing that fails to bypass it (if I read correctly) are mundane and natural physical weapons. Here are some feat ideas to spice it up:

Unbreakable [General]

Prerequisites

Con 17, Toughness
Benefit

Your personal Damage Reduction applies to all damage that does not specifically bypass it. This applies only to DR that is an aspect of the creature who has it; I.E., it comes from a class, racial ability, or template but not from a magic item, spell, or enhanced armor. EXAMPLE: A Lycanthrope has DR 3/Silver. His DR would apply to an adamantine weapon, a +1 weapon, or a fireball spell, but not to a silver weapon.

Normal

Normally DR is bypassed by magic and energy effects.

Special

A fighter may select Unbreakable as one of his fighter bonus feats.

------------

Untouchable [General]

Prerequisites

Con 19, Toughness, Unbreakable

Benefit

Damage Reduction specific to the creature that has this feat is doubled. Your personal Damage Reduction applies to all damage that does not specifically bypass it. This applies only to DR that is an aspect of the creature who has it; I.E., it comes from a class, racial ability, or template but not from a magic item, spell, or enhanced armor. However, your Damage Reduction also reduces any magic that restores your HP by the same amount it would reduce damage from an attack.

Normal

Damage Reduction with the Unbreakable feat does not interfere with healing damage,

Special

A fighter may select Untouchable as one of his fighter bonus feats.

------------------------

Layered Defense [General]

Prerequisites

Int 13, Combat Expertise.

Benefit

You may stack DR from different sources. All instances of DR from different on your person combine to reduce damage from a source that does not bypass them. Example: A Lyncanthrope Barbarian has DR 3/Silver and DR 4/-. An adamantine weapon dealing 10 damage would have its damage reduced by 7 points. A silver weapon dealing 10 damage would have its damage reduced only by 4 points.

DR that comes from the same kind of source does not stack with this feat. Sources of DR include; Racial Ability, Class Feature, Template Quality, Item, Adamantine, Armor Enhancement, Spell, Specific Spell. A suit of Adamantine on a Barbarian would stack the armor's DR on the Barbarian class DR, but a person wearing a ring that grants them DR 2/- and an amulet that grants them DR 1/- would only have an effective DR 2/- because these are the same sort of item.

A character wearing Armor of Invulnerability that has Stoneskin cast upon them would only benefit from the greater of the two effects because these are the same spell.

Normal

DR doesn't stack; it overlaps.

Special

A fighter may select Layered Defense as one of his fighter bonus feats.

-------------

XionUnborn01
2017-11-01, 09:23 AM
I think you're mistaken in your reading of how DR works.

If I attack a barbarian with DR 2/-, any attack I make against him is reduced by two, regardless or the type of weapon. If I attack a skeleton with DR 5/bludgeoning, all attacks are reduced by 5 unless they're bludgeoning damage. Doesn't matter if they're magic, adamantium, whatever. Unless they deal bludgeoning damage, it's reduced by 5.

Malapterus
2017-11-01, 11:38 AM
I think you're mistaken in your reading of how DR works.

If I attack a barbarian with DR 2/-, any attack I make against him is reduced by two, regardless or the type of weapon. If I attack a skeleton with DR 5/bludgeoning, all attacks are reduced by 5 unless they're bludgeoning damage. Doesn't matter if they're magic, adamantium, whatever. Unless they deal bludgeoning damage, it's reduced by 5.

Yes, but not if you hit him with a spell or breath weapon

Westhart
2017-11-01, 02:21 PM
Yes, but not if you hit him with a spell or breath weapon

Which is what spell resistance and energy resistance are supposed to be for...

rferries
2017-11-01, 05:09 PM
I'm a big fan of hardness - it applies to all forms of damage.

Westhart
2017-11-01, 08:22 PM
I'm a big fan of hardness - it applies to all forms of damage.

Hmm, that is something you could do with these feats... make it require... something (con/bab/fort?) to rperesent the years in battle etc.

Debihuman
2017-11-02, 11:39 AM
Hardness should only apply to objects not creatures. However DR/— applies to everything. Hardness really isn’t needed.

Westhart
2017-11-02, 11:47 AM
Hardness should only apply to objects not creatures. However DR/— applies to everything. Hardness really isn’t needed.

Meh, it is something you could do if you wanted to work energy resistance and DR into one thing, although I am in the DR/ER crowd :smalltongue: