PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spear-Wielding Bulldozer

Matrota
2017-11-01, 03:09 AM
For an upcoming 3.5e campaign I've been working for a while to create a character who likes to do a lot of bullrushing and throwing people around. The objective is not only to break enemy formations, but also deny full attacks unless a target has pounce. I believe I have a strong start already, but I'd like some critique, and if possible, advice on how to buff up my bull rush/strength checks in general. The character is a human 3rd level Dungeoncrasher fighter. All books and dragonmags are usable resources. Pathfinder is approved on a case-by-case basis by the DM. My DM has permitted up to 3 flaws. Here is the build so far:

Str: 22
Con: 18
Dex: 15
Int: 14
Wis: 9
Cha: 13

Human: Power Attack (PHB)
Flaw Feat 1: Improved Bullrush (PHB)
Flaw Feat 2: Knockback (Races of Stone)
Flaw Feat 3: Windup (Dragon 304)
1st level: Weapon Focus Longspear (PHB)
Fighter 1: Rout (Dragon 304)
3rd level: Item Familiar Longspear (UA)
Fighter 4: Short Haft (PHB II)
Regional: Furious Charge (PGtF)

Deceptively Strong:

Abilities: +4 Strength
Special Qualities: Powerful Build, +4 on all strength checks

With the current setup, I could achieve a +24 to my bullrush check. I can also bullrush in melee without moving, and I can throw spears to bullrush from afar, though thrown spears only bullrush 5 feet.

+4 from Improved Bull Rush
+4 from Template
+4 from Powerful Build's size bonus
+6 from Strength
+6 from using Power Attack -3 (two-handed)

Is there anything I should add or change?

Mr Adventurer
2017-11-01, 04:32 AM
Armbands of Might add 2 to Strength checks.

2017-11-01, 04:37 AM
Shock Trooper will make your charges and bull rushes better. Also, depending on whether your DM lets you qualify via Powerful Build (not really RAW legal but a decent enough houserule) you could pick up Knockback, which combos amazingly with Shock Trooper. Two-hand your spear and charge in, taking the full PA penalty to AC (instead of attack, thanks Shock Trooper), get double that penalty as a damage bonus at full accuracy, and then to add insult to injury, get a free Bull Rush on the person you hit with twice the penalty taken as a bonus on the Bull Rush roll. At high enough levels, a full PA tradeoff will have you looking at +40 on top of whatever else you have, which is enough for you to send giants flying backwards.

EDIT: Ah, you already have Knockback, didn't notice. Still, pick up Shock Trooper ASAP to avoid the accuracy penalty, letting you dump AC to attack aggressively!

DeTess
2017-11-01, 04:38 AM
It might be worth it to know what the LA on that template was, just to check if there's a better option.

Matrota
2017-11-01, 03:03 PM
It might be worth it to know what the LA on that template was, just to check if there's a better option.

Ah, the homebrew template was +1 LA, which I've bought off pre-campaign start. The campaign starting ECL is 4, but with 1 LA bought off + item familiar I'm at 3,300 xp.

Mysticfox
2017-11-01, 08:59 PM
Possible items you might want to look at:
Paldrons of the bull
Thorny ioun stone
A shield with ramming
Gorgon belt

Rebel7284
2017-11-02, 05:15 AM
Belt of growth is nice, but even nicer would be a few level dip into psychic warrior for (augmented) expansion.

ShurikVch
2017-11-02, 12:49 PM
One more feat: Shield and Pike Style (from Dragon #338) allow to use Light Shield while "using a two-handed piercing pole arm weapon with reach."