PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to transform a creature into a construct?

RoboEmperor
2017-11-01, 08:31 AM
Other creatures, not personal, so shapechange is out.

I'm looking for something permanent. Best I could find are warforged grafts except they don't change the type to construct even if you replace virtually their entire body.

Half Golem works except it's 3.0 and it's only on a failed will save. I'd like a 3.5 material thing.

Telonius
2017-11-01, 08:37 AM
I was about to say Half Golem... Green Star Adept and Renegade Mastermaker's capstones will do it.

Calthropstu
2017-11-01, 08:47 AM
Polymorph any object + animate object.

RoboEmperor
2017-11-01, 08:54 AM
Polymorph any object.

Yeah other than PaO as well.

Calthropstu
2017-11-01, 08:56 AM
Flesh to stone + animate object.

Darrin
2017-11-01, 09:41 AM
Templates that change type to "construct":

Aleax template (Book of Exalted Deeds).
Dustform template (Sandstorm).
Effigy template (Complete Arcane).
Ice Beast template (Frostburn).
Raggomoffyn/Captured One template (MM2... uh, this one's a bit oddball (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm)).

Dustform tends to be the preferred method, as you can set up a recursion loop with dustform/incarnate construct to create a humanoid or giant with an arbitrarily high Str.

The sticking point would be the permanent thing... Savage Species has some rules on rituals to turn into various monsters or add a type/subtype, but a straight-up "I wanna be a {blah}!" ritual sorta falls into the "You need a wish to do that" ritual, which is not so much a ritual as it's casting one of (if not the most) powerful spell in the game.

There are also a few spells in Savage Species that permanently change a creature's type, such as vile death (permanent but dispellable) and incarnate construct (instantaneous so not dispellable). Races of Eberron has a spell, greater construct essence, that does exactly what you want, but it has a short duration (1 min/CL). What you really want is basically the incarnate construct spell, except in reverse. You can use the spell research rules to create a new 9th-level spell that does exactly this (I used this for my Goldibricks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20665315&postcount=106) non-entry in Iron Chef LXXVII). We already know what spell level this needs to be, so the cost is 9000 GP, 9 weeks of study, and a Spellcraft check with DC 19. You can call it dustform construct, dream of electric sheep, key to vector sigma, or whatever you like.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-01, 11:05 AM
I was about to say Half Golem... Green Star Adept and Renegade Mastermaker's capstones will do it.
Renegade Mastermaker only gives you the Living Construct subtype, not the construct type. You get a stack of immunities, but some of the subtype abilities (e.g. the ability to survive at negative hit points) are redundant, since your base type must be Humanoid.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-01, 11:12 AM
Humanoid essence on a construct of your choice, polymorph it into a human or something, then perform a mind switch samba to swap the construct with the other person. Then kill the construct-in-the-body-of-the-other before mind switch ends. Dismiss humanoid essence, and voila.

You could do something similar with magic jar or the ghost template. For the latter, kill the creature in such a way as to produce a ghost and have the ghost use malevolence on the construct.

You could also have the person perform a rebuild into fiend of possession and use its abilities to inhabit the construct in question.

ShurikVch
2017-11-01, 11:19 AM
"Dust-stuffed" is a template (in Explorer's Handbook) which may be applied to Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid and change their Type to Construct (living construct)
Unlike, say, Effigy, it's literal change of creature rather than "was made this way"
LA +5 may be too much, but, at least, it's actually gives you Construct type, and even (technically) playable LA

Telonius
2017-11-01, 11:46 AM
Renegade Mastermaker only gives you the Living Construct subtype, not the construct type. You get a stack of immunities, but some of the subtype abilities (e.g. the ability to survive at negative hit points) are redundant, since your base type must be Humanoid.

Huh, that's odd ... the wording of it says:
"Your type changes to living construct and you gain all the traits of that type (see the EBERRON Campaign Setting). You are treated as a warforged for the purpose of meeting any requirements or prerequisites."

So the PrC lists Living Construct as a Type, not a Subtype. No errata issued either. So either they meant it to read "Subtype," and have that be that; or they meant it to read "Construct with the Living Construct subtype." I could see either one as a possible read. (Just looked it up, and apparently Dysfunctional Rules captured both the Type weirdness as well as possibly self-disqualifying through the capstone, a la Dragon Disciple).

Zsaber0
2017-11-01, 12:15 PM
The 3.5 spell Awaken Construct has the material component of a brain from a humanoid thats been dead less than 8 hours. Presumably you can fluff this as putting the mind of one person into the construct.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-01, 12:59 PM
Huh, that's odd ... the wording of it says:
"Your type changes to living construct and you gain all the traits of that type (see the EBERRON Campaign Setting). You are treated as a warforged for the purpose of meeting any requirements or prerequisites."

So the PrC lists Living Construct as a Type, not a Subtype. No errata issued either. So either they meant it to read "Subtype," and have that be that; or they meant it to read "Construct with the Living Construct subtype." I could see either one as a possible read. (Just looked it up, and apparently Dysfunctional Rules captured both the Type weirdness as well as possibly self-disqualifying through the capstone, a la Dragon Disciple).
Oh yeah it's odd :smallbiggrin:. And I don't mean to be pedantically RAW-mongering by pointing it out; I'm pretty sure the writers meant Construct (living construct). It's just that one of my favourite things is Necropolitan human artificer 6/renegade mastermaker 10 Medium Undead (augmented humanoid, living construct). It's basically an undead-turned-cyborg; using warforged technology to attain quasi-living status despite their undeath (you can argue that the LC subtype doesn't affect an undead's lack-of-CON... don't spoil the fun though).

When the fluff's that awesome, I'm willing to be a little pedantic about my reading :smalltongue:.

unseenmage
2017-11-02, 12:42 AM
The 3rd party book Advanced Bestiary has the Monstrous Lycanthrope template which allows any creature to be a were creature.

I usually fluff monster-thropes to change during the new moon, just kinda because.