PDA

View Full Version : Using Animate Objects to make flying mounts

Aaron Underhand
2017-11-01, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Has anyone done this?

It looks to me as if a large object without legs has a carrying capacity of 210lbs and a fly speed of 30
A huge object would have 270 lbs

Not great, but upcast at 6th you could have three large mounts or a large and a huge. - Useful utility for (say) a bard without access to any other form of flying.

Any I'm now wondering about some Halfling bards on medium flyers - party of 5 for a base cast...

Gotta love the utility of this spell.

Alejandro
2017-11-01, 10:36 AM
Probably uncommon, since Fly is two levels lower, lets one fly faster, and you can cast it on three people total for a 5th level spell slot.

Dalebert
2017-11-01, 10:50 AM
I'd be fine with it. I feel like Animate Objects main selling point is its inherent versatility depending on what object are currently available. As was pointed out, there's a way to get this from a lower level spell that's better. Of course that spell only let's you fly. These objects can potentially fulfill a number of contextual needs.

Danielqueue1
2017-11-01, 11:20 AM
I have not tried this. but now I must.

why bother about utility when the bard can ride a flying bathtub through a window while playing a mad lute solo
FOR SCIENCE!! (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MuovsuqMNO0/VhsVWb1RwfI/AAAAAAAAAGk/JefPERdyTZE/s1600-r/funny-pictures-****ing-science-auto-screenshot-476779.jpeg)

the sheer epicness of having a party riding around the BBEG's fortress of doom on his own furniture each of which can make slam attacks far outweighs the inefficiency of spell slot usage. what tales could this bard tell?

who else will be able to say they rode through the air on the doom-king's own throne and beat him to death with it?

Aaron Underhand
2017-11-01, 11:29 AM
:-)

I am playing a lore bard, and while I could get fly as a magical secret that's a very precious slot.

Animate Objects is a bard spell, though three levels later.

SharkForce
2017-11-01, 03:07 PM
don't compare to magical secrets: fly

compare it to magical secrets: conjure animals.

8 giant bats or owls for an hour, as compared to at most 5 medium mounts for a minute, and the animals come from a lower spell slot.

it's an interesting bit of utility for animate objects, but i'd say you're not getting an excessive amount of value out of it, so it should be fine. never done it myself yet, but i see no reason it should (edit: should not) work, provided you can find suitable mounts (technically, you have to find something that couldn't plausibly move itself along the ground. personally, i think that's a silly restriction, and if the spell is powerful enough to make flying objects just let it make flying objects, but technically to make this work you'd probably need to bring along some appropriate large-sized objects specifically intended for the purpose... so haul around a few spare cool-looking tower shields everywhere you go, i guess :P

Mellack
2017-11-01, 06:36 PM
Note that Animate Objects only lasts for a minute, so you wouldn't be able to fly all that far.