PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation in Tails of Equestria

ShadowHare
2017-11-01, 12:34 PM
So, I've recently started running a game of Hasbro's officially licensed My Little Pony RPG, Tails of Equestria. I really appreciate it as a system that is simple and easy, but also very classically designed. Overall, I find the rules quite manageable, but there are a few issues I have which I have posted about on Stack Exchange. This one is the most significant:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/108812/7253

The properties of Teleportation seem inconsistent. It is not clear if this is deliberate (i.e. the designers want NPCs to use it better than PCs (which I would think is dumb)) or unintentional.

Does anyone have a good solution for this? Feel free to respond either here and/or on Stack Exchange (there's a bounty going for the next day or so :smallsmile: )

ShadowHare
2017-11-02, 08:15 AM
It seems as though I've gotten a response directly from one of the authors and designers of the game. Huzzah! :smallbiggrin:

ShadowHare
2017-11-02, 12:31 PM
As per the suggestion from the author that my group come up with our own alternative Horse Rules, I've decided to define Teleporting as follows:

The target, participants, and intent of the spell, along with the respective difficulty value of the spell, must be determined before casting.

Base Difficulty:

Distance
Difficulty

5 feet

10 feet

30 feet

100 feet

500 feet

1500 feet

1 mile

5 miles

25 miles

200 miles

1,000 miles

2,500 miles (about anywhere in Equestria)

Anywhere in the world

Another dimension

Of course, it's not exactly clear what the scale of distances are in Equestria. The world in the show certainly seems small. Allegedly, though, the map is based off of the USA, so I suppose we will just assume that distances would be equivalent to real-world distances across America.

The base difficulty was lowered by 1 (from 5 to 4) to account for the mishaps that can occur, as described later.

Some modifiers:

Modifiers:

Situation
Difficulty Modifier

Two individuals
+1

Up to four individuals
+2

Up to a dozen individuals
+3

Teleporting others, but not yourself
+1

To an exact location you've teleported to before

Now for the possibility of screwing up. If the result is a success, but not a Critical Success, roll on the following chart:

Mishaps:

d10
Effect

The spell fails and creates an explosion, dealing 2 stamina damage to the caster and whomever they were attempting to teleport.

The teleportation succeeds, but is off-target by about 25% the distance or 20 feet, whichever is greater.

The teleportation succeeds, but is off-target VERTICALLY by 100 feet, causing those effected to arrive in mid-air (and probably have a rough fall!)

The teleportation succeeds, but it drains the caster. They downgrade all of their attributes and cannot use further magic for 10 minutes.

The teleportation succeeds, but after only a few seconds, those effected are teleported again to a random location within the same range category from their current new location. Roll a d4; on a 1-3, this process repeats (and may keep going for some time!)

6-10
No unexpected side-effects.