PDA

View Full Version : Paladin / Warlock build help?

MagneticKitty
2017-11-01, 06:36 PM
Race: half orc (probably set on this race if possible. anything else you can change if you have to. Looking to make something sturdy with ok damage ok healing. Spells mostly for utility and smites) probably starting paladin for proficienciess

Standard array stats 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Starting lv 4 but feel free to project into the future levels. World may have fewer than normal magic items. Please don't specify magic items in build.

Ratio of paladin to warlock levels? Opinions on spells to take? Opinion on oath and pact?
Does this have enough synergy?
I'm interested in celestial patron from UA maybe?

I want ok healing as my group otherwise doesn't have a healer. (Just a few like a ranger who can cast lay on hands but probably won't much)

Thanks for taking a look!

Easy_Lee
2017-11-01, 06:49 PM
What do you want out of each class?

Eragon123
2017-11-01, 07:08 PM
Well, we don't have enough information on celestial warlock yet.

But here's what was in the UA
Healing Light
At 1st level, you gain the ability to channel celestial energy to heal wounds. You have a pool of d6s that you spend to fuel this healing. The number of dice in the pool equals 1 + your warlock level.
As a bonus action, you can touch a creature and heal it, spending dice from the pool. The maximum number of dice you can spend at once equals your Charisma modifier (minimum of one die). Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total.
Your pool regains all expended dice when you finish a long rest.

and here is PHB

Lay on Hands

Your blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of Healing power that replenishes when you take a Long Rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level x 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of Healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple Diseases and neutralize multiple Poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on Undead and constructs.

Warlock can heal on average 3.5(1:5) [3.5-17.5 hp] as a bonus action. and have approximately 3.5 x (Warlock_Level + 1) hp in pool.

Paladin's have a pool exactly equal to Paladin_Level x 5 and as an action use any number of unused hit points from that pool.

Pool Size per level (assuming single class)
Paladin Warlock
1 | 5 | 7
2 | 10 | 10.5
3 | 15 | 14
4 | 20 | 17.5
5 | 25 | 21
6 | 30 | 24.5
7 | 35 | 28
8 | 40 | 31.5
9 | 45 | 35
10| 50 | 38.5
11| 55 | 42
12| 60 | 45.5
13| 65 | 49
14| 70 | 52.5
15| 75 | 56
16| 80 | 59.5
17| 85 | 63
18| 90 | 66.5
19| 95 | 70
20| 100 | 73.5

Admittedly if the Gift of the Ever-Living Ones does end up making it into print then the warlock side of that table will explode but only for self healing chain locks.

I didn't cover spells but spells are almost never efficient for in battle use. Paladins LoH is because of the Preciseness and the potential huge burst or delicate yo-yo playing. Warlocks healing is because of how it's a bonus action.

Laserlight
2017-11-01, 07:31 PM
Race: half orc (probably set on this race if possible. anything else you can change if you have to. Looking to make something sturdy with ok damage ok healing....
I want ok healing as my group otherwise doesn't have a healer.

Do you actually need a healer? It's nice to be able to stabilize someone who's about to fail their third Death Save, but that shouldn't come up often. Generally you're better to devote your attention to defeating the enemy, and then do any healing or hit die expenditure afterwards.

MagneticKitty
2017-11-01, 07:50 PM
Do you actually need a healer? It's nice to be able to stabilize someone who's about to fail their third Death Save, but that shouldn't come up often. Generally you're better to devote your attention to defeating the enemy, and then do any healing or hit die expenditure afterwards.

ok we can ditch the healing, I think I can stabilize with the paladin side as is. so any pact/patron is fine.

I just want some versatility out of the warlock. I wouldn't mind find familiar for flavor from tome or chain. blade lock is cool too.
close combat damage will primarily come from the paladin,
and distance attack (maybe just Eldritch blast (EB) agonizing blast too?) will come from warlock. Hope this helps

prototype00
2017-11-01, 09:27 PM
I distill my thoughts in this specific subject as well as other’s comments here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535723-To-Serve-Two-Masters-AL-Paladin-Warlock-Multiclass-How-to-shove-in-that-synergy&p=22367498

MagneticKitty
2017-11-02, 12:23 PM
I distill my thoughts in this specific subject as well as other’s comments here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535723-To-Serve-Two-Masters-AL-Paladin-Warlock-Multiclass-How-to-shove-in-that-synergy&p=22367498

Interesting, but I'm not interested in quarterstaff and shillelagh.... at all. I want some kind of cool weapon lol. Not a stick.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-02, 12:29 PM
Interesting, but I'm not interested in quarterstaff at all. I want some kind of cool weapon lol. Not a stick.

Wizard's staves aren't cool? My God...what is my life?

Vaz
2017-11-02, 12:31 PM
Conquest Pal 3/ Hexblade Lock 1 progressing to Pal 5/Warlock X. BFC fear aura, Eventually dual spell slot smites, ÷10 to hit if you need.

MagneticKitty
2017-11-02, 12:33 PM
Wizard staves are the most boring of arcane focuses Imo. And I certainly do not want to beat people with them.

Thanks vaz I need to read about hex blade more

So hexblade gets an incantation with pack of blade to summon a silver great sword... But why when hexblade cannot us it's perks on a two handed weapon... Bad design

rbstr
2017-11-02, 12:58 PM
How do you envision this character in combat and out of combat? Like is there any particular character personality to fit? You might want him to sword/shield or use a Pole Arm or Great Sword?
Do you just want to take Paladin to level 2 for smites and be mostly a caster?

Like, a generic paladin is sturdy and can heal. Need to have some other mechanical desires or character details to build around.

Like a Conquest/Hexblade is quite a flavor difference to an Ancients/Fey even if they're both greatsword wielders using spell slots on Armor of Agathys and Smites. Or they could be vastly different.

Eragon123
2017-11-02, 01:21 PM
Like a Conquest/Hexblade is quite a flavor difference to an Ancients/Fey even if they're both greatsword wielders using spell slots on Armor of Agathys and Smites. Or they could be vastly different.

This is an awesome point.

Probably the easiest to flavor pairings are.

Ancients/Fey
Conquest/Hexblade
Fiend/Vengence
Crown/GOO (Yellow King... not perfect but it'd get a chuckle out of me) or maybe Undying (long may he reign)
Devotion/Celestial

Galadhrim
2017-11-02, 03:33 PM
Race: half orc (probably set on this race if possible. anything else you can change if you have to. Looking to make something sturdy with ok damage ok healing. Spells mostly for utility and smites) probably starting paladin for proficienciess

Standard array stats 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Starting lv 4 but feel free to project into the future levels. World may have fewer than normal magic items. Please don't specify magic items in build.

Ratio of paladin to warlock levels? Opinions on spells to take? Opinion on oath and pact?
Does this have enough synergy?
I'm interested in celestial patron from UA maybe?

I want ok healing as my group otherwise doesn't have a healer. (Just a few like a ranger who can cast lay on hands but probably won't much)

Thanks for taking a look!

I'm currently playing a Half Orc Noble Oath of the Crown 6/Hexblade 1 (refluffed as Crownblade)
I played paladin straight through to 6 and plan to increase warlock to 2 or 3, depending on need in game. If I go to 3 I will take Tome.
After that I will go back to Paladin through at least level 11. If the game lasts longer than that I'll decide on a level by level basis after that.

Crown Paladin gets plenty of healing with the channel divinity along with Lay on Hands and cure wounds if necessary. I feel safer using the taunt channel divinity with half orc ratial allowing me to drop to 1 instead of 0. Very sturdy, does good damage, Hex blade allows for all ASI's to go to charisma instead of splitting between str and cha so more room for feats.
If you find later that you need more healing, you can take the healer feat or Inspiring leader.