PDA

View Full Version : DM Help simple subclass question

BaronVonAxe
2017-11-01, 07:55 PM
hello all

I've searched to the best of my ability on my own for help in this matter and I'm not entirely sure this question goes here, but I'm running in 5e and if this doesn't float here please feel free to send me where I need to go.

I know that within each class are subclasses and one does not get to take a second subclass in their current class. I myself understand this, I have a player in my current game who has brought a request to take another subclass in their current class and they are not understanding why I wont allow this. I try to stay away from the "I'm the DM I have the final say" answers, although I'm a vengeful DM I'm also still more fair than most MDs I've had over the years and I would like to keep my PCs happy as it keeps them from acting out. They had asked if they could just take their current class again, without stacking the class abilities they are granted. I said no that's not how it works but in other games we play it is(FFG Star Wars RPG, very different from 5e). I suggested find a homebrew subclass in a different class that may be similar, they declined the offer.

So what I'm asking is, has anyone tried to homebrew around this type of instance or even encountered this themselves? If so what did you do?

I've considered turning additional subclasses within a class into a "prestige" or "Epic" type deal, but I'm still working on those mechanics. Would this be too OP of an opportunity to allow PCs to have access too? I can see this being easy in some classes but more daunting in others.

It is a very problematic scenario, but from what the PC wants to do it does to a point go with their characters story/build that they are trying to accomplish. As it stands, I've not allowed this but I don't want to miss out on something that someone could offer to make a PCs day or even add a new dynamic to my current game.

thanks for any insight, good or bad I'll take whatever I can get

Eragon123
2017-11-01, 08:03 PM
This question was actually asked earlier today. But the general consensus is DON'T.

Now there are way's of having cake and eating it too.

1. Magic Items. Maybe have the character enter training and they get an item as a reward for completing the training. The item replicates a feature they were looking for.
Pros: works within the system
Cons: not everyone likes magic items. also treating everyone in the party fairly.

2. Boons. essentially the same as the first.

3. multiclass in a similar class.
I know you already suggested this one but you even opened it up to home-brew. If they still don't like it tough.

Good DM'ing is ensuring that your players have a good time but it doesn't mean you have to bend over backwards to insane requests.

bid
2017-11-01, 08:14 PM
So what I'm asking is, has anyone tried to homebrew around this type of instance or even encountered this themselves? If so what did you do?
You (obviously) aren't the first to ask. It's been discussed before.

First, most classes are front-loaded to make the fun start as soon as possible. Second, it's hard to explain away having 2 domains (cleric) or 2 patrons (warlock).

OTOH, MC has heavy penalty for casters since it delays learning higher spells. Is this clear to your player?

Remember that "classes" are a mechanical contruct that may only exist OOC. There may be ways around it with magic items or feats. You should discuss what he's trying to accomplish and find a way that is fair to the other players.

It's hard to give more details without knowing which class is twinned.

BaronVonAxe
2017-11-01, 08:40 PM
many thanks for the replies, as I've now seen the earlier post I apologize for missing it and asking a second time.

the class in question for my instance is the monk class but I like what was suggested. I'm going with not allowing this right now, until I find a way of doing it fairly.

I try to do my best to give my players the best with out giving them the most, but this is an evolving game and I'm glad for the insights. I'll be following the earlier post, so thanks again for the help

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-01, 08:48 PM
many thanks for the replies, as I've now seen the earlier post I apologize for missing it and asking a second time.

the class in question for my instance is the monk class but I like what was suggested. I'm going with not allowing this right now, until I find a way of doing it fairly.

I try to do my best to give my players the best with out giving them the most, but this is an evolving game and I'm glad for the insights. I'll be following the earlier post, so thanks again for the help

Depending on the subclasses.....how does he justify this in game? I've played the star wars ffg games (we mix and mashem too AOR+EOTE+FAD) and understand his mind set but D&D is a completely different game and he shouldn't assume it works the same.

I would try to explain to him that his character specializes as he progresses in his class. When you hit that level, you make a choice and there's no turning away. Most of the classes do this on their own but its pretty easy for a monk. You choose a way to train your body and mind, and you can't 'unlearn' these things. Your body and ki have already been accustomed to a certain Way and once you walk the path of the Shadow/4E/Sun Soul/Long Death/Open Hand you can't turn back. You're physically,mentaly and in the case of the more faithful classes, spiritually can't.

BaronVonAxe
2017-11-01, 09:02 PM
yeah the Star Wars influenced them a bit and they are indeed new to 5e.

it goes with the story they are trying to tell through their PC, I don't care to get into the specifics as this group is one of my best ever and I would do a disservice in telling their tales incorrectly.

I like the way you have explained why in-game the multi-subclassing could be too problematic due to the PCs experience in their field/class/training.

again, thank you all