PDA

View Full Version : Clerical domains for RKV?

Tyger
2007-08-17, 09:39 AM
Hey all,

After much discussion and copious messages back and forth with teh DM, looks like the new build (alas poor mage, you served well) will be a Crusader / Cleric / Ruby Knight Vindicator.

So, while I have a tonne of maneuvers and feats to choose, I am starting off with the old standbys of the cleric domains to check out first.

I was thinking of Trickery; for the Hide as a class skill, Invisibility and the like for domain spells, and Strength, mostly for the Enlarge Person at low levels.

The character will be a (probably) Crusader 4 / Cleric 1 / RKV 3 to start, and will (if he lives) eventually advance to Crusader 9 / Cleric 1 / RKV 10. So no access to any clerical magic over 5th level.

Any suggestions on the domains? Likely will not be playing a reach-monkey trip bastard, as I have one like that in the Rifts d20 we're playing and want him to be quite different. Probably sword and board, maybe with a greatsword or greataxe on his back for just those perfect occassions. :)

RP wise, he's going to be the cliched killer for his church, devout and steadfast in his belief that the destruction he visits is upon the enemies of his church (which is good aligned, as is he) and a bit of a self-righteous jerk, but only a bit. Think Dolph Lungren in Templars meets the Punisher. :)

Darrin
2007-08-17, 10:48 AM
Hey all,
Any suggestions on the domains? Likely will not be playing a reach-monkey trip bastard, as I have one like that in the Rifts d20 we're playing and want him to be quite different. Probably sword and board, maybe with a greatsword or greataxe on his back for just those perfect occassions. :)

Actually, I'm not sure you're going to have much choice. Ruby Knight Vindicator requires you worship Wee Jas, which means your domain choices are Death, Law, and Magic. Of those, Death and Magic are probably the best picks.

Greatsword + Aura of Chaos = "You rolled how many sixes?"

Person_Man
2007-08-17, 11:32 AM
Actually, I'm not sure you're going to have much choice. Ruby Knight Vindicator requires you worship Wee Jas, which means your domain choices are Death, Law, and Magic. Of those, Death and Magic are probably the best picks.

Greatsword + Aura of Chaos = "You rolled how many sixes?"

Yup. Unless you can get a DM waiver, those are your only options.

If you do get a DM waiver, I suggest Time and Travel (you could worship Hermes, Mercury, Chronos, H.G. Wells, or Scott Bakula). Travel gives you Freedom of Movement as an automatic special ability (which is hugely powerful), plus Longstrider, Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport as domain spells. Time gives you Improved Initiative for free, and True Stike, Haste, Freedom of Movement, Contingency, and Time Stop as domain spells. It also fits in well with the RKV ability to get extra Swift Actions and whatnot.

ZeroNumerous
2007-08-17, 12:08 PM
..Actually.. Wee Jas has more than that now.

Grand Total of Wee Jas' domains: Death, Domination, Law, Magic, Mind, Planning Portal, Sin: Pride, and Tyranny.

Personally, I like Mind/Magic, but thats a thematic choice for my followers of the Stern Lady.

goat
2007-08-17, 12:32 PM
Worship of Scott Bakula gives excellent options if you want to play a different character. Just stand up, flash a blue light at the table, put down a new character sheet and say "Oh boy!".

And you can can roll some knowledge checks with a +10 Al & Ziggy bonus.

Tyger
2007-08-17, 01:57 PM
Whoops, left out a few important bits.

1) Teleport is level 8, greater teleport is level 9. So the Travel domain is down a tad. Though Dimension Door remains untouched, so its still got some flavorful goodness!
2) Its a homebrewed world, so shouldn't be an issue on the god of worship.