PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Wizard Spells To Support Your Fighter

HermanTheWize
2017-11-02, 09:28 AM
Can people give me your favorite/best spells you use as a Wizard to support your "Fighter".

I'm playing a game with a Friend and I want to focus on supporting him as a Wizard.

Can you give me your top 2-3 choices for each spell level

clash
2017-11-02, 09:36 AM
1: Expeditious retreat -> Make fighter a rogue. They dont have anything to do with their bonus action at this level anyway.
2: Hold person -> Autocrit goodness.
2: Magic weapon -> For when you need to overcome resistance.
2: Blindness/Deafness -> No concentration to give disadvantage on attack rolls for enemy and advantage for your fighter.
3: Haste -> Obvious
3: Fear -> Great defensive debuff. Disadvantage on all attacks and they stay away from you and closer to your fighter.
4: Greater invisibility -> Better for rogue but advantage on all attack roll is never a bad thing.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-02, 09:52 AM
1: Expeditious retreat -> Make fighter a rogue. They dont have anything to do with their bonus action at this level anyway.
2: Hold person -> Autocrit goodness.
2: Magic weapon -> For when you need to overcome resistance.
2: Blindness/Deafness -> No concentration to give disadvantage on attack rolls for enemy and advantage for your fighter.
3: Haste -> Obvious
3: Fear -> Great defensive debuff. Disadvantage on all attacks and they stay away from you and closer to your fighter.
4: Greater invisibility -> Better for rogue but advantage on all attack roll is never a bad thing.

Pretty much this, yeah.

I also like that you kept it to 4th level spells.
What good is a 6th level spell going to be if you can only use it once or twice per long rest?
Much better off dropping some lower level buffs on your tanking buddy.

Joe the Rat
2017-11-02, 10:00 AM
Jump is another fun one given the (likely) high starting Strength, and as a non-concentration spell works beautifully with Expeditious Retreat to enhance mobility.

Protection from Evil and Good is handy if you Know you are going to face supernatural charmers.

I like Fly. I like Fly on the fighter to go play Red Baron against some gargoyles while you hide safely under a table and maintain concentration.

Penalty Box fighting can be surprisingly useful - you create a hazard zone that harms or debilitates (burning sphere, wall of fire, stinking cloud), and the fighter works to keep them hemmed in, possibly with said zone limiting the number of active opponents.

Polymorph can be fun - presuming you pick a form with a mentality amenable to the situaton. Buddy's getting wailed on? Go Giant Ape, and rely on the situation to encourage him to fight, while giving him a decent hp buffer.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-11-02, 10:35 AM
Polymorph is very useful if the Fighter has taken some damage. Or would just like to be a T-Rex.

For ranged fighters, Forcecage, Web and similar can be very good, letting them plink down a trapped enemy without reprisal. Also good for ensuring melee fighters don't get swarmed.

At the highest levels True Polymorph is awesome on everyone, and Fighters are no exception. Foresight, meanwhile, is a massive buff on a martial type.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-02, 10:39 AM
See Invisible, Dispel Magic, Counterspell.

Being an Evoker.

Sigreid
2017-11-02, 02:04 PM
Faerie fire is a great one.

snickersnax
2017-11-02, 04:31 PM

The range on expeditious retreat is self only....

Easy_Lee
2017-11-02, 04:34 PM

Play a Goliath wizard and put the figher on your shoulders. You don't half-ass it when you play supoort; you go all-in.

clash
2017-11-02, 04:37 PM

Oops my bad. AFB at the moment.

Nifft
2017-11-02, 04:40 PM
Polymorph is very useful if the Fighter has taken some damage. Or would just like to be a T-Rex.

Fighter: "I cut my finger!"

Wizard: "So?"

Fighter: "So do the thing!"

Wizard: "Sigh. Fine."

Suddenly, the Fighter polymorphs into a T-Rex.

Coidzor
2017-11-03, 12:33 AM
Hypnotic Pattern is nice for letting the Fighter only have to fight fewer enemies at a time, or even let them and the rest of the party gang up on one at a time.

SharkForce
2017-11-03, 03:55 AM
Play a Goliath wizard and put the figher on your shoulders. You don't half-ass it when you play supoort; you go all-in.

you got that all wrong.

that wizard is clearly playing the carry :smallwink:

(we need the ba-dum tss! emote)

Deathtongue
2017-11-03, 06:23 AM
After pairing up with two Eldritch Knights, one with Sharpshooter and one with Great Weapon Fighting, Greater Invisibility is still my (and his) favorite buff. Getting advantage-on-demand and disadvantage-on-demand is brutal.

Gignere
2017-11-03, 06:43 AM
Here are some more things I did with my wizard to help the barbarian in my group but fighter is the same.

Find Familiar - use help action on fighter.
Minor Illusion create cover for fighter.
Silent Image of fog touches the fighter he sees through it, target needs to spend action to interact or disbelieve. Fighter attacks with advantage.
Web restrain targets advantage on fighters attack.
Blind/Deaf see web.
Leomund's Tiny hut fighter can freely shoot through it with advantage and nothing gets through.
Play a diviner give your good portents to fighter attacks.
Phantasmal Force - can screw a single target over good. Giving advantage to fighter.
Obviously Haste, Polymorph (use when fighter is very low on health)