PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thor as a new Paladin Subclass

Varghar25
2017-11-02, 10:20 AM
Hi guys i'm new to this forum (hello to everyone! ;) )

I just watched "Thor 3" (liked it a lot) and i was working on building him as a paladin subclass as well as his hammer as a legendary weapon, with incresing powers as levelig up, for my next d&d 5e campaign. (with friends, and dm ok with some homebrew stuff if it's not too op).

I'll write down my ides, please help me (need all advice and ideas)
The only important note is that i see him as a paladin just refluffing some stuff.

Mjolnir and plate armor, noble background, gwm, resilient con, warcaster? (starting Asgardian, V. Human) aiming to obtain belt of giant strenght for spendig asi x cha and feats.
Ofc as paladin i'll change divine smite damage from radiant to lightning or thunder

Oath of the God of Thunder

Lv3: Channel Divinity (Destructive Wrath/Sacred Weapon) xSR
-tempest cleric2/devotion paladin3-
Lv7: Stormborn (Heart of the Storm)
-storm sorcerer6-
Lv15: Supernatural Resistance
-oathbreaker paladin15-
Lv20: God of Thunder (Elder Champion)
-ancient paladin20-
(+ Your Attacks and spells ignore resistance to lighting and thunder damage)

Oath spells:
Lv3: Absorb Elements, Thunderwave
Lv5: Levitate, Shatter
Lv9: Call Lightning, Lightning Bolt
Lv13: Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm
Lv17: Destructive Wave, Greater Restoration

Mjolnir (Legendary Artifact):
- Require Attunement
- Warhammer
- Heavy (only who’s worthy can lift it)
- Can’t be destroyed
- Can be used as spellcasting focus
- Thrown (20/60) flies back in your hand after the attack
- With a bonus action the hammer can be recalled to it’s owner hand from every distance
- Gain Booming Blade and Thunderclap cantrips (lv4)
- Magical Weapon +1/2/3 (lv6/10/14)
- Gain flying speed 60 feet (lv8)
- Haste (concentration free) xSR (Lv12)
- Control Weather (concentration free) xLR (Lv12)
- Aura (30 feet) you and all friendly creature have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects (Lv16)

thanks for help and suggestions.

Deox
2017-11-02, 10:24 AM
Can't help but think this may be better suited as a Tempest Cleric?

Varghar25
2017-11-02, 10:33 AM
I think going Cleric or even Sorcerer is too much "magic" for him, in the end in the movies (what i'm aiming to build) he's just smashing and punching most of the time, calling thunders really once in a while.
I thought to paladin cause of divine smite could add some thunder damage to his melee punch and the paladin has a limited spell slot than a full caster. Plus most of his class feature work well to deisgn a "god-like" caracter: immunity to disease, cha to saves, immune to be frightened, healing ability and bad condition removal. (thor as son of odin and gea) shold be immune or at least resistent to basically everything..

nickl_2000
2017-11-02, 10:46 AM
I think going Cleric or even Sorcerer is too much "magic" for him, in the end in the movies (what i'm aiming to build) he's just smashing and punching most of the time, calling thunders really once in a while.
I thought to paladin cause of divine smite could add some thunder damage to his melee punch and the paladin has a limited spell slot than a full caster. Plus most of his class feature work well to deisgn a "god-like" caracter: immunity to disease, cha to saves, immune to be frightened, healing ability and bad condition removal. (thor as son of odin and gea) shold be immune or at least resistent to basically everything..

Barbarian Path of Storm Zealot from Xanathar's?

The truth is that Thor is literally a god. To make a class accurately represent him would be to make it WAY overpowered.

Oramac
2017-11-02, 01:40 PM
Mjolnir (Legendary Artifact):
- Require Attunement
- Warhammer
- Heavy (only who’s worthy can lift it)
- Can’t be destroyed
- Can be used as spellcasting focus
- Thrown (20/60) flies back in your hand after the attack
- With a bonus action the hammer can be recalled to it’s owner hand from every distance
- Gain Booming Blade and Thunderclap cantrips (lv4)
- Magical Weapon +1/2/3 (lv6/10/14)
- Gain flying speed 60 feet (lv8)
- Haste (concentration free) xSR (Lv12)
- Control Weather (concentration free) xLR (Lv12)
- Aura (30 feet) you and all friendly creature have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects (Lv16)

thanks for help and suggestions.

I love the concept, enough that I might want to make one myself. Your basic ideas for the subclass are sound, I think, and I agree that Paladin is a better chassis for Thor than Cleric. Thor is a smash-first-cast-spells-second kind of guy. Perfect for a Paladin.

I will say that that version of Mjolnir is obscenely overpowered though. Mainly the concentration-free Haste/Control Weather, and the flying speed. I know they're appropriate to the character, but I'd dial them back a bit.

Plus, Booming Blade can't be used with Extra Attack, so it's not as useful after 5th level.

Varghar25
2017-11-02, 02:23 PM
Thanks for appreciating my Paladin idea 😊 booming Blade and thunderclap are more for flavor than actual utility (but actually at lv20 with the ooa feature he could cast spells as bonus actions so with booming would be an additional Attack)

About the hammer yes probably too op, can you suggest how to tone it down?

Oramac
2017-11-02, 02:35 PM
Thanks for appreciating my Paladin idea 😊 booming Blade and thunderclap are more for flavor than actual utility (but actually at lv20 with the ooa feature he could cast spells as bonus actions so with booming would be an additional Attack)

About the hammer yes probably too op, can you suggest how to tone it down?

Sure. I'd probably remove the Haste and Control Weather options altogether. Sucks, I know, but getting those for free without concentration is just way too powerful. If you desperately want to keep them, at least make them still require concentration.

I'd make the flying speed 30 feet, and probably not come online until Tier 3 play (11th level or later). If you want to keep it at 60 feet, make it cost an action to activate and last for a finite amount of time. I'd say 10 minutes, so that it has uses outside of combat too.

The aura is really strong, and I'm not sure it fits the theme. Against *all* spells and effects means your lightning/thunder dude gets adv against Blight and the like. I'd make it resistance to Lightning/Thunder damage, and maybe, *MAYBE*, advantage against spells that cause Lightning/Thunder damage.

OTOH, I'd actually buff two things:

Increase that Thrown range. Probably up to 60/90. What's the point of carrying Mjolnir if you can't chuck it at some guys and knock their heads off?!

Also, make it deal Lightning or Thunder damage on a successful melee/ranged attack. 1d4 or something wouldn't be game breaking at all, and would be very flavorful.

Varghar25
2017-11-02, 02:47 PM
Great idea! Thanks man 😁💪🏻

So:
- For the spells maybe you’re right.. 😞 i’ll just remove them or use the concentration.
- the fly speed I think 30 isn’t enough, but maybe it can start slower (30) and increasing it at higher lvl (17)
- ok he aura may be too much (was from the holy Avenger) maybe just some magic resistance?
- the range of the thrown could be longer I agree with you (maybe when you reach 20 str?)
- for the additional damage (lighting/thunder) I think an additional d4/2d4/3d4 could make the work (as for elemental weapon) at which levels tho?

Oramac
2017-11-02, 02:58 PM
Great idea! Thanks man 😁💪🏻

So:
- For the spells maybe you’re right.. 😞 i’ll just remove them or use the concentration.
- the fly speed I think 30 isn’t enough, but maybe it can start slower (30) and increasing it at higher lvl (17)
- ok he aura may be too much (was from the holy Avenger) maybe just some magic resistance?
- the range of the thrown could be longer I agree with you (maybe when you reach 20 str?)
- for the additional damage (lighting/thunder) I think an additional d4/2d4/3d4 could make the work (as for elemental weapon) at which levels tho?

Looks good.

I'm assuming here you're not going to make the fly speed finite? If so, yea, if you wanted to increase it, doing it at Tier 4 would be fine. Maybe even Tier 3.

The Holy Avenger has the Aura and not much else, which is why it works, and it's STILL a Legendary weapon. So adding the same aura to Mjolnir is definitely OP. Magic resistance is definitely a good idea, I think.

For the thrown range, I'd honestly just leave it as 60/90 from the get-go. It's just a ranged attack, and it fits the flavor of the weapon/character.

If you want the lightning/thunder damage (maybe let the player choose one?) to scale, I'd do it at the Tier levels. So 1d4 from 1st to 4th level, 2d4 at 5th level, 3d4 at 11th, and 4d4 at 17th.

Moredhel24
2017-11-02, 03:09 PM
Check out these articles:

http://www.tribality.com/2015/05/03/avengers-assemble-character-builds-for-dd-5e/

http://www.tribality.com/2015/06/10/avengers-assemble-thor-rebuild-for-dd-5e/

may be what you're looking for.

Varghar25
2017-11-02, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the ideas/advices guys, I think i’ll work with Oramac’a suggestions. And just change a bit those points. ☺️ I’ll try this class/Weapon in a couple weeks, if someone has other ideas let me know. 😁

damascoplay
2017-11-08, 07:20 PM
Smite'em good, god of thunder!

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-08, 11:59 PM
Other idea: check the new Oath from MFoV. It seems heavily inspired by the new Thor movie. And nicely balanced, as their stuff tends to be.

GandalfTheWhite
2017-11-09, 12:09 AM
Other idea: check the new Oath from MFoV (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2017/11/oath-of-storms.html). It seems heavily inspired by the new Thor movie. And nicely balanced, as their stuff tends to be.

I was literally just coming here to share it! :smallbiggrin:

GlenSmash!
2017-11-09, 01:01 PM
Barbarian Path of Storm Zealot from Xanathar's?

The truth is that Thor is literally a god. To make a class accurately represent him would be to make it WAY overpowered.

I'll be statting out a Thor based Storm Herald as soon as I get a copy of the book. Seems like a good fit to me.