PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Invocation for melee warlocks [peach]

Belzique
2017-11-02, 11:57 AM
What would you think about this invocation:

Eldritch Discharge
Prerequisite: eldritch blast cantrip
When you cast Eldritch Blast, its range is touch.

My concern is balance, but at the same time I'm thinking this would basically create a melee warlock that's comparable to a melee fighter in the same way that a ranged warlock is comparable to a ranged fighter straight out of the PHB.

Thoughts?

nickl_2000
2017-11-02, 12:03 PM
What would you think about this invocation:

My concern is balance, but at the same time I'm thinking this would basically create a melee warlock that's comparable to a melee fighter in the same way that a ranged warlock is comparable to a ranged fighter straight out of the PHB.

Thoughts?

What's the advantage of this? I mean, a warlock can cast it from right next to someone anytime they want.

Belzique
2017-11-02, 12:05 PM
What's the advantage of this? I mean, a warlock can cast it from right next to someone anytime they want.

I thought they were at a disadvantage if they were within 5 feet of their target?

Page 205 PHB: "Remember that you have disadvantage on a ranged attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature that can see you and that isn't incapacitated."

Or apparently any hostile creature for that matter.

nickl_2000
2017-11-02, 12:15 PM
I thought they were at a disadvantage if they were within 5 feet of their target?

Page 205 PHB: "Remember that you have disadvantage on a ranged attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature that can see you and that isn't incapacitated."

Ahh yes, I completely forgot about that. A few issues that you could have with this

1) When you cast EB it fires of different bolts. So, if you had this invocation how would that work with multiple bolts
2) You can deliver touch spells through a familiar, right? So, could you use your pact of the chain familiar to do this on the other side of a wall?

Belzique
2017-11-02, 12:27 PM
Ahh yes, I completely forgot about that. A few issues that you could have with this

1) When you cast EB it fires of different bolts. So, if you had this invocation how would that work with multiple bolts
2) You can deliver touch spells through a familiar, right? So, could you use your pact of the chain familiar to do this on the other side of a wall?

1. I guess they'd have to all be delivered to targets within touch range. The different bolts are actually the reason I'm pondering this, because pairing this with Agonizing Blast you've basically created the fighter extra attacks.

2. This would be possible. But I wonder in turn if the action economy of having to ready the spell, hold concentration (making you unable to concentrate on something else, isn't that right?) and forfeiting your reaction to then have thefamiliar deliver it wouldn't balance it out. Not to mention the fact that if you make your familiar such a high priority target ("Kill the familiar, it hits like a truck!") the NPCs are likelier to attack it and then you've lost resources as well as what could possibly be your main way to attack.

Thank you for the excellent points! I'm very much hoping a discussion here will help me decide whether to include this in my homebrew.

nickl_2000
2017-11-02, 12:44 PM
1. I guess they'd have to all be delivered to targets within touch range. The different bolts are actually the reason I'm pondering this, because pairing this with Agonizing Blast you've basically created the fighter extra attacks.

2. This would be possible. But I wonder in turn if the action economy of having to ready the spell, hold concentration (making you unable to concentrate on something else, isn't that right?) and forfeiting your reaction to then have thefamiliar deliver it wouldn't balance it out. Not to mention the fact that if you make your familiar such a high priority target ("Kill the familiar, it hits like a truck!") the NPCs are likelier to attack it and then you've lost resources as well as what could possibly be your main way to attack.

Thank you for the excellent points! I'm very much hoping a discussion here will help me decide whether to include this in my homebrew.

For #2, I would choose a Quasit. Casting through the familiar requires that the familiar use it's reaction and nothing else. So, the Quasit uses it's action every round to turn invisible. Overall it seems good enough, there are ways to take advantage, but compared to other invocations it seems good to me.