PDA

View Full Version : Help for an upcoming Survival Campaign

GrayDeath
2017-11-02, 02:41 PM
hello yall!

We are going to start a new campaign/in-between-others-campaign shortly, and although I ahve concepts already almost built, I thought I`d ask for input in case I overlooked some stuff.

Them Setup: we are going to be abducted early on/prestart, and while we will be gicen fitting equipment for the main character functions to work, everything else will have to be "conquered".

Rulewise: D&D 3.5, all Core, all psion, all ToB, all Races or Templates from the MM`s up to +1LA are allowed without the LA actually affecting us.

T1 is banned, T can be played as is", T3 may gestalt with T5, T4 with itself or T5, Gestalting Limits to 2 classes/Side, including prestige classes, Starting Level 3.

Following the DM its going to start as "survival Horror and move towards Escape/Survival Wilderness/Revenge Theme.

he has not mentioned in what world it will take place.

I`d be grateful for any and all suggestions, but especially am looking for important feats to take, Race Suggestions and secondary Side (my primary is almost surely going to be Warblade).

Thanks

WeaselGuy
2017-11-02, 02:52 PM
Personally, with the free +1 LA, I'd probably play a Tiefling Psionic Rogue/Psionic Assassin (look up the Mind's Eye article from Wizards, it's official material). I'm biased though, since I love Tieflings, and Rogues are just plain easy to play. Plus, psionicists don't really suffer from lack of gear. Go ahead, let the DM burn your spellbook or steal your divine focus. Your brain is all you need :smallamused:

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-02, 02:54 PM
Hmmm... the best T5 pairing with Warblade is probably Expert or Ninja, given the book limits. 3 levels of Swashbuckler might work for more Int-SAD, particularly if you want to focus on agility over strength, but otherwise...

daremetoidareyo
2017-11-02, 04:00 PM
In case you were being literal: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500214-Survival-Skill-Survival-Guide&p=21901674

Thurbane
2017-11-02, 04:28 PM
You might pick up some ideas here: [3.5] Build A Survivor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?536972)

GrayDeath
2017-11-02, 05:30 PM
Hmmm... the best T5 pairing with Warblade is probably Expert or Ninja, given the book limits. 3 levels of Swashbuckler might work for more Int-SAD, particularly if you want to focus on agility over strength, but otherwise...

For our round the Warblade is considered T4. So all other T4 classes are also in.

Depending on the Concept Iw as thinking wither Rogue for a mobility, Skill and Sneaky Focus or paladin, to maximize "I can take it all with added healing and Immunities, if that helps.

I hate the Swashbuckler with a vengeance, since it failed me every time so far (one time I palyed it, ofttimes when others did)...^^

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: other classes that are not casters (or at the very outside max out at level 4 casting) MIGHT get in, if you have a particularly bright idea.

In case you were being literal: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500214-Survival-Skill-Survival-Guide&p=21901674

Taking the Survival Skill is obvious, but since its cross class for most classes and simply does not do too well against traps, overwheliming odds or other "Survival Horror Elements wont do on its own. :)

Thanks Turbane, interesting ....

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-03, 08:43 AM
Well, if Warblade is T4, your options open up a lot. Scout is the first thing that jumps out at me. Great skills, and a solid chunk of bonus damage that plays very nicely with standard-action maneuvers AND Sudden Leap. My second choice would probably be Warlock to pick up some utility/movement invocations.

Eldan
2017-11-03, 09:01 AM
An Elan psion might make a nice survivor, too. With some LA+1 template, if you find a good one they qualify for.

GrayDeath
2017-11-03, 04:22 PM
Well, if Warblade is T4, your options open up a lot. Scout is the first thing that jumps out at me. Great skills, and a solid chunk of bonus damage that plays very nicely with standard-action maneuvers AND Sudden Leap. My second choice would probably be Warlock to pick up some utility/movement invocations.

Warlock was my first choice but was shot down by the dm as "at will stuff doesn't work too well with the setup I have in mind".
I'll looking scout as rogue alternative, hadn't thought of it. Thx.

An Elan psion might make a nice survivor, too. With some LA+1 template, if you find a good one they qualify for.

Prions are sadly t1.

If races with HD are allowed, I will suggest the marrulurk from sandstorm (3hd, +1 la). It gets a whole bunch of features, including one called discrimate hearing which I think would be relevant for this game you describe. Also 2 bonus feats, racial skill bonus, death attack, sneak attack, posion use, +22 total ability scores bonus and some more stuff. I may got the idea of your campaign wrong, but it sounded like this one would fit right in.

One racial HD or one LA. Both is very much out.

Eldan
2017-11-03, 07:05 PM
I'm sure psions are Tier 2. I've googled it just now, and while it seems the original article doesn't exist anymore, several secondary lists have them at T2.

After all, psions have a limited amount of powers, like a sorcerer, not a potentially unlimited one, like a wizard. At least, not without some trickery most DMs probably won't allow. They also can't easily change their loadout, especially not in E6. They also lack several of the most powerful wizard tricks.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-03, 07:37 PM
I'm sure psions are Tier 2. I've googled it just now, and while it seems the original article doesn't exist anymore, several secondary lists have them at T2.

After all, psions have a limited amount of powers, like a sorcerer, not a potentially unlimited one, like a wizard. At least, not without some trickery most DMs probably won't allow. They also can't easily change their loadout, especially not in E6. They also lack several of the most powerful wizard tricks.
They also specified that Warblades are T4; presumably the group is using a customized list.

GrayDeath
2017-11-04, 12:31 PM
We are using a slightly modified list, taking into a count a lot of opinions since the original, but mostly it's very close.

Also decided to go with rogue as second class, as we have a ranger for survival the skill and with sapphire nightmare blade sneak attack is simply far too good.

Thank you all for your suggestions!