PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Silly builds -- the Whip Kensei

polymphus
2017-11-02, 04:04 PM
With Xanathar's on the horizon and ToA just released, I realised there's a fun possibility for a character: Indiana Jones.

Monk, Way of the Kensei, Archeologist background, and of course, a whip (and hat). You have something totally unique in terms of 5e gameplay: a finesse/reach weapon with big damage dice.

In fact, a magical whip that can be damage boosted with ki. Dip Rogue (for that Roguish antihero charm) and turn yourself into a beautiful Indy/Devo hybrid with a whip of justice.

Nifft
2017-11-02, 04:26 PM
That's awesome and I want to play it.

For the fully Indy experience: is there a way this character could drop a swordman in the 1st round of combat, using a hand crossbow?

Elminster298
2017-11-02, 05:05 PM
That's awesome and I want to play it.

For the fully Indy experience: is there a way this character could drop a swordman in the 1st round of combat, using a hand crossbow?

Artificer gives you guns and pretty powerful ones at that. I don't know if the wording for Kensai in Xanathar's will allow for the gun to count as a monk weapon for even more damage...

SharkForce
2017-11-02, 05:10 PM
i'd say this is more a way to build simon belmont.

indiana jones has a whip, and sometimes uses it. but when was the last time you actually saw him use it in a fight to attack someone? he uses his whip as a tool, not as a weapon.

he uses a gun, his fists, vehicles, maybe the occasional thrown or pushed object, and that's about it. or wait, there was that one time he breathed fire at some snakes, i think.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-02, 05:46 PM
Whip has always been viable. If your dm pays attention to melee range in the least you're set.
Any dueling fighting style build rocks it and doesn't lack for damage.
Any Dex melee build that utilizes speed and the mobile feat to hit and run opponents.
Any melee build that has the opportunity to fight alongside an ally who is sticky when it comes to enemies.
Battle master.

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-02, 08:11 PM
For the fully Indy experience: is there a way this character could drop a swordman in the 1st round of combat, using a hand crossbow? Poison on the bolt, critical hit. Low level, sure.

Personification
2017-11-02, 10:55 PM
Poison on the bolt, critical hit. Low level, sure.

"Bad dates"

MeeposFire
2017-11-02, 11:21 PM
Artificer gives you guns and pretty powerful ones at that. I don't know if the wording for Kensai in Xanathar's will allow for the gun to count as a monk weapon for even more damage...

Well considering that the gun deals 2d6 damage the monk damage dice would be a damage reduction even if it worked.

Menzath
2017-11-02, 11:28 PM
"Bad dates"
Did you mean
"Bad D8's"

Desteplo
2017-11-02, 11:33 PM

Dmg gives you guns. Also pretty powerful, in either case a rogue with 1 lvl in fighter pulls the same thing. Powerful whip and gun

X3r4ph
2017-11-03, 02:19 AM
Rogue Assassin 3 should be able to take care of that. Also, create bad dates.

Spacehamster
2017-11-03, 02:24 AM
Love it, only small drawback is that your bonus attack martial arts blow only has 5ft range unless you
make a bugbear monk.

Crgaston
2017-11-03, 07:15 AM
Did you mean
"Bad D8's"

Epic!!!!!!

Nifft
2017-11-03, 12:19 PM
Rogue Assassin 3 should be able to take care of that. Also, create bad dates.

Assassin Rogue is good -- that plus Monk explains how he can drop a Nazi with just one punch.

The "bad dates" scene seems to demand a monkey Familiar. That's from taking the Magic Initiate feat, I guess?

Personification
2017-11-03, 03:52 PM
Assassin Rogue is good -- that plus Monk explains how he can drop a Nazi with just one punch.

The "bad dates" scene seems to demand a monkey Familiar. That's from taking the Magic Initiate feat, I guess?

Actually, it is the opposite. The Rogue ability "Bad D8s" allows one to subtract 1d8 from any constitution saving throw made by a non-sapient primate.