PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Invoke Duplicity and Counterspell

sir_argo
2017-11-02, 06:30 PM
I want to verify gameplay mechanics regarding Invoke Duplicity, and specifically a tactic of using it with Counterspell.

ID is not a creature, and thus cannot be the target of any spell that targets creatures, i.e. Dispel Magic, Counterspell, etc.

I want to place my duplicate close to an enemy caster (within 30'). To my knowledge, there really isn't a way to dispel the duplicate except make me lose concentration.

I then want to stay back, farther than 60', so that when the enemy casts a spell I can cast Counterspell through the duplicate and the enemy can't counter my Counterspell because I am farther than 60' away.

Am I missing anything?

sithlordnergal
2017-11-02, 07:02 PM
Yes, you are missing something. Specifically the "you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space" part. Therefore a Counterspell could work since your illusion is within 30ft. Also, dispell magic wouldn't work on Invoke Duplicity anyway, as it is a Channel Divinity thing, not a spell

RSP
2017-11-02, 10:00 PM
I want to verify gameplay mechanics regarding Invoke Duplicity, and specifically a tactic of using it with Counterspell.

ID is not a creature, and thus cannot be the target of any spell that targets creatures, i.e. Dispel Magic, Counterspell, etc.

I want to place my duplicate close to an enemy caster (within 30'). To my knowledge, there really isn't a way to dispel the duplicate except make me lose concentration.

I then want to stay back, farther than 60', so that when the enemy casts a spell I can cast Counterspell through the duplicate and the enemy can't counter my Counterspell because I am farther than 60' away.

Am I missing anything?

RAW, I think you're fine casting Counterspell and not getting Counterspelled back; I don't think ID puts you in the space to cast it, so the opposing Caster would still need to be within 60' of you and see you casting.