PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [D&D 3.5] Adapting the Ruby Knight Vindicator to a Knight.

TheRageee
2017-11-02, 06:33 PM
Hello guys.
How could you adapt the PC Ruby Knight Vindicator (from ToB) to a Knight? It's for a NPC, basically a friend of an archivist of Wee Jas in my party, and part of her order.
Is there any good idea? :smallsmile:

Nifft
2017-11-02, 09:41 PM
Sure. We just have to define what our terms mean.

Jasite Knight - a character who takes levels in Crusader and Cleric of Wee Jas.

It is now quite simple to play a Jasite Knight -> Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Darrin
2017-11-03, 06:37 AM
Hello guys.
How could you adapt the PC Ruby Knight Vindicator (from ToB) to a Knight? It's for a NPC, basically a friend of an archivist of Wee Jas in my party, and part of her order.
Is there any good idea? :smallsmile:

Which parts of the Ruby Knight Vindicator are not working for you?

The most problematic requirement is probably "turn undead", as that can be difficult to acquire for a non-paladin or non-cleric. But if you take that out, there's no mechanic to power Divine Recovery, Divine Impetus, or Divine Fury.

ApologyFestival
2017-11-03, 07:39 AM
Which parts of the ruby knight vindicator are not working for you?

The most problematic requirement is probably "turn undead", as that can be difficult to acquire for a non-paladin or non-cleric. But if you take that out, there's no mechanic to power Divine Recovery, Divine Impetus, or Divine Fury.
I'm getting the impression that the OP wants a ruby knight vindicator that would work for a knight/crusader base, instead of the assumed cleric/crusader or paladin/crusader. This new prestige class would essentially be a souped-up crusader, using the knight's challenge ability as a resource to expend on extra boosts and counters. Sounds fun!

Going down the list of class features and requirements in order, I would:
Replace the requirement Special: Ability to turn or rebuke undead, with Special: Knight's challenge class feature.
Replace Spellcasting class feature with Continued Advancement: Knight's Challenge class feature. Levels in ruby knight vindicator stack with levels in knight for determining the number of times per day you may use your knight's challenge ability.
For a higher-powered prestige class that overshadows the base knight completely: As above, but levels in ruby knight vindicator stack with levels in knight for all purposes of knight's challenge advancement.
Divine Recovery, Divine Impetus, and Divine Fury: Replace "turn or rebuke undead attempt" with "use of your knight's challenge ability".

This is a quick-and-easy adaptation of the ruby knight vindicator that leaves the prestige class largely unmolested. In practice, it would make a pretty impressive divine beatstick which would probably be focused on using devoted spirit and white raven boosts and counters to protect their melee allies in combat. I hope you're happy with it!

TheRageee
2017-11-03, 08:38 PM
I'm getting the impression that the OP wants a ruby knight vindicator that would work for a knight/crusader base, instead of the assumed cleric/crusader or paladin/crusader. This new prestige class would essentially be a souped-up crusader, using the knight's challenge ability as a resource to expend on extra boosts and counters. Sounds fun!

Going down the list of class features and requirements in order, I would:
Replace the requirement Special: Ability to turn or rebuke undead, with Special: Knight's challenge class feature.
Replace Spellcasting class feature with Continued Advancement: Knight's Challenge class feature. Levels in ruby knight vindicator stack with levels in knight for determining the number of times per day you may use your knight's challenge ability.
For a higher-powered prestige class that overshadows the base knight completely: As above, but levels in ruby knight vindicator stack with levels in knight for all purposes of knight's challenge advancement.
Divine Recovery, Divine Impetus, and Divine Fury: Replace "turn or rebuke undead attempt" with "use of your knight's challenge ability".

This is a quick-and-easy adaptation of the ruby knight vindicator that leaves the prestige class largely unmolested. In practice, it would make a pretty impressive divine beatstick which would probably be focused on using devoted spirit and white raven boosts and counters to protect their melee allies in combat. I hope you're happy with it!

@Darrin, exactly as stated by @ApologyFestival, I'd like to make viable the PC to a Knight, therefore substituting all that concerns divine powers and/or stances (nothing that a talent cannot do - about gaining stances/manouvers) with Knight's special abilities.

Anyways, I find your idea brilliant. I'm definitely trying it out, think it's going to work like a charm.

Thanks to anyone who replied! :smallsmile: