PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [D&D 3.5] Immunity to Mind-Affecting: Suppression and Gaining Morale Effects

Getsugaru
2017-11-02, 07:33 PM
I have been working on a new character build for some time now, one that involves an 8th-level spell known as Veil of Undeath (Spell Compendium 229). The spell provides a plethora of useful effects (basically every benefit of being Undead), but has one part of it which causes me a rather large headache: immunity to mind-affecting spells and abilities. This is a problem because of my desire for morale bonuses, several of which come from outside sources (i.e. not cast by me or gained from my equipment) and would therefore be blocked. The sad thing is that immunity to mind-affecting isn't that valuable to this character; she has a high Will save even before magical, class feature-based, and feat-based bolstering, and honestly getting a Protection From spell is more useful (and something she can provide for herself), since it suppresses charms and compulsions, the only element of mind-affecting I'd be truly worried about. I'm looking for a way to solve the problem without giving up all the other benefits of the spell, and after an entire day of research I have found nothing. Is there a way for me to get around this? In case it is important, the character is getting 9th-level arcane sorcerer casting by level 20 and is an outsider.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-02, 09:37 PM
I believe some divine salient abilities bypass that immunity in mortals.

Bards with Music of the Gods can still buff you.

Bypassing that immunity is an epic-level feat, anyway. Easier to choose a different buff if that's a dealbreaker. Otherwise, it might help to tell us specifically what morale effects you are worried about missing out on.

Getsugaru
2017-11-02, 11:33 PM
...it might help to tell us specifically what morale effects you are worried about missing out on.

I don't have a list of morale buffs I want in every fight or anything like that, but a couple examples of what I want to make sure I can benefit from are the Bard spell Snowsong, which grants a morale bonus to charisma (and really, what other sources of a morale bonus to Charisma are there than this spell?), as well as the ever-handy Dragonfire Inspiration/Inspire Courage; I forgot to mention this before, but the character is a bit of a gish (got to love Abjurant Champion).

Endarire
2017-11-04, 03:35 AM
In the Player's Handbook 177, in the part under "Voluntarily Giving Up a Saving Throw," an Elf can willingly suppress his racial immunity to metaphysical sleep effects. Ask your GM if you can ignore your Undead immunities to gain morale bonuses.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-04, 05:27 AM
The feat Requiem allows bards to use their musical buffs on undead at half duration. No such luck for spells by RAW as far as I know, unless of course your DM homebrews for some leniency on that.

Getsugaru
2017-11-04, 03:13 PM
The feat Requiem allows bards to use their musical buffs on undead at half duration. No such luck for spells by RAW as far as I know, unless of course your DM homebrews for some leniency on that.

The only problem with that is that the spell doesn't actually turn you into an Undead; you still have your Con score, and you are whatever type of creature you were before.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-04, 05:27 PM
The only problem with that is that the spell doesn't actually turn you into an Undead; you still have your Con score, and you are whatever type of creature you were before.

Oh, I didn't realize. Yeah, it'd have to be an epic bard with Music of the Gods then

flappeercraft
2017-11-04, 07:27 PM
The bard doesn't have to be Epic actually to take the feat. Loremasters can take the Bonus feat secret which by default Bonus feat rules does not require you to meet any prerequisites unless specified. Although you do need a high int score.

With this a 1 level dip is enough.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-04, 08:47 PM
The bard doesn't have to be Epic actually to take the feat. Loremasters can take the Bonus feat secret which by default Bonus feat rules does not require you to meet any prerequisites unless specified. Although you do need a high int score.

With this a 1 level dip is enough.

Haven't heard that one. Dragonwrought Kobolds can take epic feats before level 20 as well, if we're talking early entry cheese.

flappeercraft
2017-11-05, 02:16 AM
Haven't heard that one. Dragonwrought Kobolds can take epic feats before level 20 as well, if we're talking early entry cheese.

Well yes, but DWK has the problem that it does not ignore prerequisites. Music of the gods requires 30 perform ranks for which DWK still requires 27 levels minimum.

Doctor Despair
2017-11-05, 08:54 AM
Well yes, but DWK has the problem that it does not ignore prerequisites. Music of the gods requires 30 perform ranks for which DWK still requires 27 levels minimum.

The "epic" requirement is the more difficult of the two to overcome. The skill rank is pretty easy to get.

Step 1: get bonus HD by getting lycanthropy, or inspiring greatness, or using bloodlines, or polymorphing into a dusk giant or barghest, or using that one cityscape thing.

Step 2: use psychic reformation to throw your skillpoints heavily into perform.

Step 3: retain the skill points, even if your bonus HD are lost by curing lycanthropy or a spell ending, because while your skill rank cap decreases to normal, there is no mechanic to physically remove those skill points from that skill