PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Engineering the Fall of House Thrune (Spoiler Warning for three APs)

Madokar
2017-11-02, 09:01 PM
So I'm a newbie GM. GMed the Dragon's Demand Module, and currently reading up on my new Hell's Rebels and Hell's Vengeance PDFs. Here's the thing. I like playing good characters. Paladins are my new favourite class. So I personally would have loved to have played on the side of the Glorious Reclamation in Hell's Vengeance.

Wondering leads to creation, and by pondering on what would happen if I had joined the Glorious Reclamation, I begin to imagine how a campaign based on reclaiming Cheliax from House Thrune and the Church of Asmodeus would play out. So I started working on my first home campaign.

The basic idea for this campaign is that a few other APs have been successfully completed. Namely, Wrath of the Righteous, Skulls and Shackles, and Hell's Rebels. The logic of those particular APs having succeeded is because of three reasons:

1) With Wrath of Righteous completed, the Worldwound has been closed. This frees up a huge amount of resources for the Church of Iomedae, allowing them to pursue other missions.

2) Skulls and Shackles happened because the group I play with now completed that AP before I joined them. So at some point in my campaign, they will receive subtle aid from the current Hurricane King, who will be a PC from their take on the AP.

3) Hell's Rebels happened so that the average members of the Chelaxian population in my campaign will have hope that they can escape the rule of Thrune. It will also be a beacon for enemy faiths of both Thrune and the Asmodeans that victory is possible.

As a campaign. this narrative is not just a mere reversal of Hell's Vengeance. While the PCs will have opportunities to avert some of the tragedy that befalls many good aligned characters in Hell's Vengeance, I will also be including original content to help fill in the gaps.

Of course, due to House Thrune and their allies making liberal use of Hell's resources, it's not so simple as overthrowing an enemy government. Infernal Contracts are a very real thing, and not easily negated. To that end... how would the contracts that bind Hell and Cheliax together be negated?

Going over references in Hell's Rebels, Hell's Vengeance and the newly released Book of the Damned, I have learned Infernal Contracts have Termination Clauses. The natures of which are varied. Termination Contracts are much simpler than outright destroying both copies of the Contract, which would involve a trip into Hell. I just need some help in figuring out ways for the contracts signed with the various Archduchies of Cheliax to be negated.

One thing to keep in mind is the ritual for the last part of For Queen & Empire, where Abrograil issues the PCs of Hell's Vengeance to perform a sacrifice to renew her family's obligations to Asmodeus. Hell's Vengeance does not give an example of what would happen if this sacrifice does not happen, but it should be something that would greatly aid the Glorious Reclamation.

Kallimakus
2017-11-03, 12:41 AM
It is my understanding, based on For Queen and Empire and Hell's Rebels AP that:
House Thrune is 'Thrice damned' because they have a total of 3 infernal contracted. Missing the sacrifice would likely undo one of these contracts.
From Hell's Rebels, i believe the take home message was that The initial damning contract has no escape clause,
other than the one seen on the AP. It is, after all, in Hell's best interest that the contract cannot be undone.
Or subverted.

With that in mind, the basic solution is to make House Thrune extinct. With that, I think the contract is undone. This, of course, is easier said than done.

Madokar
2017-11-03, 09:40 AM
It is my understanding, based on For Queen and Empire and Hell's Rebels AP that:
House Thrune is 'Thrice damned' because they have a total of 3 infernal contracted. Missing the sacrifice would likely undo one of these contracts.
From Hell's Rebels, i believe the take home message was that The initial damning contract has no escape clause,
other than the one seen on the AP. It is, after all, in Hell's best interest that the contract cannot be undone.
Or subverted.

With that in mind, the basic solution is to make House Thrune extinct. With that, I think the contract is undone. This, of course, is easier said than done.

This is all very true. However, at the very end of Hell's Rebels, Mephistopheles has this to say:

“And with that, you have closed the book on this man’s life. As I had hoped all along. By defying my pawn, and by showing his nation that House Thrune does not have the control it thought, you have given them spurs. The nation’s pride, as surely as Barzillai’s pride, will be its downfall, and your actions have, my Master hopes, served as a warning. Enjoy, then, your new nation’s freedom, Ravens of Silver, and rest assured that your troubles with this particular Thrune have ended. And if that is all, I am prepared to send you home. Mortals of your... temperament... are unpleasant company. You make my bones itch, and I would have you gone from here.”

Now, going by what Mephistopheles says here, it seems that Asmodeus is planning on House Thrune eventually falling. The hows and whys are up to interpretation, but it appears that this was something that Asmodeus planned from the beginning. Which makes sense. Infernal contracts are meant to damn the signee.

Psyren
2017-11-03, 11:13 AM
You may want to put spoiler tags in the OP as you're discussing the ending of several APs.

Madokar
2017-11-03, 02:00 PM
You may want to put spoiler tags in the OP as you're discussing the ending of several APs.

Done. Thanks for the heads up.