PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Homebrew Class: Toxic Blighter (Peach)

Blind_Prophet
2017-11-02, 10:10 PM
Hey guys just wanted to drop by and show you my new class, it focuses on using the new unchained poison and disease rules to assist in combat as a debilitator w/ little to no connection to anything undead or similar (fluff wise). This is my first time making my own class for Pathfinder so please be gentle but I could use some evaluation for balance and fluff. (Took some cues from other classes for abilities and to help gauge balance)

Anyways as I mentioned the idea is to create a class to take advantage of the combat applications of unchained disease and poisons...it's not finished (definitely not set on the name) but I figured I'd post it as is for now and update it as I go, here's what i have so far.

Toxic Blighter

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a1/4f/31/a14f3117aa9891ea2146d1c5e5158b92.jpghttps://i.pinimg.com/564x/3d/9c/79/3d9c799fc95e7dc64b7036772cfcc3d8.jpg

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Symbiote-Int
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

Blight Host, Toxic Strike, Infectious Materials, Symbiote

Blightbite, Symbiotic Hide

Evasion

Rapid Onset, Disease Sense

Infectious Sustenance

Hidden Blight, Carrier's Fortitude

Penetrating Infections

6/1
Improved Rapid Onset

6/1
Walking Blight

7/2
Accustomed to Awfulness

8/3
Improved Evasion

9/4
Instant Onset, Improved Carrier's Fortitude

9/4
Independant Symbiote

10/5
Beguiling Infection

11/6/1
Repelling Stench

12/7/2
Improved Instant Onset

12/7/2
Infectious Breath

13/8/3
Greater Carrier's Fortitude

14/9/4
Telepathic Expertise

15/10/5
One with the Blight

Class Features

The Blighter’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Ranks: X+Int Mod (thinking 4+Int)

Weapon and Armor Profs: Blighters are proficient with all simple weapons, natural weapons as well as the Blade Boot, Claw Blades, Tail attachments, Manople, Scizore & Katar but not with any type of armor or shield.

Hit Die: D8

(1-20)Toxin: Ability to create of poisons/diseases supply similar to a spellcaster, DC is based on Con not much figured out beyond that, thinking either Bard or Bloodrager progression as a template, fluff wise the idea is that since your a host of all manor of disease and poisons it's not too much of a stretch that you can keep a small supply of both going on a daily basis. The plan is to have it be spontaneous since you always have the various diseases and it makes sense to me that you can handle carrying more poisons and diseases the stronger you get (as opposed to being able to hold an unlimited amount of diseases), oh and Cha mod as this classes secondary stat is optional I just thought it made the most sense for interacting with and utilizing your symbiotic powers.

(1) Blight Host (Ex): A Blighter suffers no ill effects of diseases or poisons, though he may choose to allow the purely cosmetic ones such as boils, pockmarks, watery eyes, blackened skin, hair loss, foul smell, and so on to become visible. He becomes a carrier of every disease he encounters, though he remains immune to most of their effects.

He is also healed by any poison damage however, he takes 1d6 points of damage per spell level if someone casts a cure disease spell or similar effect on him (he can make a Fortitude save to try to resist the effect).

(1) Symbiote: Gain a symbiotic connection to one of your diseases , granting you the ability to communicate with it and gain more abilities as your level as well as enhance your symbiotes intelligence over time (Int = Class Lvl)

(1) Venom Strike: As a free action a Blighter may apply poison that he can deliver with Close, Unarmed or Natural weapons 1/rd.

(2) Blightbite (Su): By channeling the powers of her ancestors, a Blighter can call upon the powers of the Ophidian to inflict a disease with Close, Unarmed or Natural weapons. Blightbite is only usable 1/rd.

(2) Symbiotic Hide: Having had a fair amount of time interacting with his symbiote the blighter has learned that the symbiote can act as a barrier against attacks by dwelling in his body subdermally so whilst not wearing armor (robes, clothes, etc. are fine), a Blighter adds 1 point of constitution bonus (if any) per blighter class level as a natural armor bonus.

(3) Evasion: Avoid magical attacks with ease. If he succeeds on his save against any effect that offers a Reflex saving throw for half damage or partial effect, instead takes no damage from the effect. (debating removing this, it and its improved version were originally added when this class had a snake/ophidian theme and doesn't really suit the class in its current form...would likely move sense disease into this level if I did)

(4) Rapid Onset: A blighter gains such insight into disease he's learned how to make it infect and do its damage much quicker than normal, in part because of the connection to his symbiote, thus it only takes 1d4rds. for a disease to advance beyond incubation

(4) Sense Disease (Ex): The blighter can detect both the presence and type of diseases present anywhere within 30ft. whether within a living host or any other location. The blighter may use this ability to keep track of nearby victims (even those that have evaded his sight and therefore retains his dexterity bonus against any creature currently infected with a disease, even if the blighter is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, the blighter still loses its Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

(5) Infectious Sustenance: As a swift action, the blighter can consume one unused slot to heal 1d8 damage for each level of the slot consumed. Additionally, you gain a bonus to your attack rolls against diseased creatures equal to your level until the end of turn.

(6) Hidden Blight (Su): You know of course that people are often wary of poison users, you prefer to not alert them of the fact that you are one. You can now make the poison you create undetectable by magical means, spell such as detect poison simply don’t report anything.

(6) Carrier's Fortitude: With poison and disease running your veins your body has begun to be altered with some cultivating by your symbiote making it more difficult for assailants to locate your vitals granting you a 25% chance to ignore critical hits or sneak attacks.

(7) Penetrating Infections: Extended studies of subjects alive and dead that are seemingly unaffected by most of your creations has revealed ways around their so-called immunities albeit a bit crude and unreliably. For every 4 class levels you gain a 10% (15%?) to bypass disease & poison immunity but the victim gains a +1 Bonus vs. your poison per 3 Class Levels.

(8) Improved Rapid Onset: The blighter continues to increase the effectivness of his infections allowing his disease to advance beyond incubation even faster only taking 1d4-2 rds.

(9) Walking Blight: Your steach and blight unsettles animals and plantlife alike. You gain an aura that shrivels plants and weakens wildlife. Any hostile plants or animals within 5ft per 4 class levels take 1d4 damage per two levels every round they are within the range of this aura. A successful fortitude save reduces this damage by half. Additionally, creatures with the animal type are shaken while within this. This aura may be suppressed as long as you want as a free action.

(10) Accustomed to Awfulness: Spending so much time around death and decay you've become desensitized to anything that other would consider disconcerting Immune to sickened and nauseated.

(11) Improved Evasion (Ex): Takes half damage from any effect that offers a Reflex saving throw for half damage, even if they fail the save.

(12) Instant Onset: The blighter has worked with his diseases for so long that it's ability to infect has become so rapid that it advances past incubation nearly instantaneousily even going so far as to rapidly advance for a short while allowing it to advance to the next stage within 1d4 rds.

(12) Improved Carrier's Fortitude: Long term exposure to diseases and poisons have further modified your bodily structure making it even more difficult to locate your vitals granting you a 50% chance to ignore critical hits or sneak attacks.

(13) Super Bug: Allows part of your symbiote to leave your body so you may as a standard action use them as a conduit to apply your Toxic Strike or Blight Bite against a target within 30ft. You may use this ability up to your Cha mod/day.

(14) Beguiling Infection: Using your telephatic connection your symbiote imparts a tiny part of your influence and personality into your infections adding your Cha mod to your poison/disease DCs vs. creatures immune to them.

(15) Repelling stench: When Walking blight is active your enemies treat the land around you up to 10ft as difficult terrain

(16) Improved Instant Onset: The blighter continues to push the alacrity of his infections allowing his dieseases to advance to the second stage after incubation with 1d4-2 rds.

(17) Infectious Breath: Your body has become merged so thoroughly with the blight in your body that you have gained the ability expel a blast of disease in a 30ft cone infecting anyone within it if they fail their save, on a successful save targets become sicked for 1rd. You may use this ability 1/day.

(18) Greater Carrier's Fortitude: Extensive alterations to your body have made it nearly impossible to pinpoint your weaknesses increasing your defense against crits and sneak attacks to 75%. You also gain immunity to paralysis, sleep. fatigue, exhaustion, stun and no longer need to sleep.

(19) Telepathic Expertise: Having communicated with your symbiote using telepathy for so long and due to it's increasing intelligence you can communicate with it much further allowing you to use your Super bug and Disease Sense abilities up to 120ft away. You may also communicate telepathically with others up to 60ft away.

(20) One with the Blight: The blighter changes His type to Aberration and gains the ability to shift into a living disease swarm at will infecting anyone when he enters their space, finally he adds his Cha (or other mental stat) mod to Con when calculating HP (retroactive)

So yeah what do you all think?

Morphic tide
2017-11-03, 05:17 AM
Immediate response: Replace Toxins with Extracts, it lets you crib off some Alchemist rules and opens some synergies, like the "hand Extracts to party members" Discovery letting the class feature poisons be given to the weapons of party members.

Second, replace Blight Host with a progression of resistance improvements to disease, like the Alchemist. Poison resistances can be a "weakness," but poisons also have less nasty long term effects and, importantly, see much more use.

Third, you focus too much on application and not enough on ensuring viability. You've got a 6th level maximum, you can't surpass the power level of 7th level spells without drawing nasty looks and save DCs are targeting Fortitude, so you need some class features helping that. A simple act of adding a feature to set the save DC to 10 + 1/2 level + an ability modifier fixes that issue. This also lets application focused abilities reduce the save DC to balance them.

I'm probably going to give it a pass of editing to reword it as an Extract class and fix any clunky wording I find, then give a list of Alchemist Extracts that it can make some use of. Then I'll start churning archetype ideas. Or maybe I'll just flat out make my own version of the idea to solve all the issues I see and give decent openings for archetypes. Or go back and finish rewording/critiquing that Gilgamesh class I found a while back. Or actually work on one of those hybrid class ideas I came up with on a thread solely for discussing said ideas.

Blind_Prophet
2017-11-03, 09:44 AM
Immediate response: Replace Toxins with Extracts, it lets you crib off some Alchemist rules and opens some synergies, like the "hand Extracts to party members" Discovery letting the class feature poisons be given to the weapons of party members.

Poison/Disease Extracts...that's a really good idea, thanks.

Third, you focus too much on application and not enough on ensuring viability. You've got a 6th level maximum, you can't surpass the power level of 7th level spells without drawing nasty looks and save DCs are targeting Fortitude, so you need some class features helping that. A simple act of adding a feature to set the save DC to 10 + 1/2 level + an ability modifier fixes that issue. This also lets application focused abilities reduce the save DC to balance them.

I agree but doesn't that break conventional class rules or is there a precedent? (As I said first class creation for me, trying to learn "da rules" as well as perfect the class and having a comparison helps me wrap my mind around it, its not necessary though just wondering)

That said were you thinking of a 1st level ability or have it change over when necessary? How would you word it both mechanically and fluff-wise?

Edit: Random idea - What if I used something similar to the Dreamscarred Press psionics system (Aegis, vitalist, tactician,etc.), like how it uses points instead of slots, they'd still count as extracts of course but it might be easier to be able to implement a 10+1/2Lvl+Con mod type DC if it was more like 10+Blight Points(up to 1/2 level)+Con Mod

I'm probably going to give it a pass of editing to reword it as an Extract class and fix any clunky wording I find, then give a list of Alchemist Extracts that it can make some use of. Then I'll start churning archetype ideas. Or maybe I'll just flat out make my own version of the idea to solve all the issues I see and give decent openings for archetypes.

That would be greatly appreciated. :smallcool: