PDA

View Full Version : Flumph reference in Tales of Equerstria

ShadowHare
2017-11-02, 11:53 PM
So, I purchased the new Monster Manual equivalent for Tails of Equestria, known as The Bestiary of Equestria, and I noticed a particularly conspicuous entry:

https://i.imgur.com/wTC9atJ.png

This seemed notable to me, as I believe every other entry in the book is from the show or otherwise given a pony-world remake and pun name. These guys, however, are just straight-up Flumphs, directly ripped from D&D. They have no real purpose, other than to be a deliberate reference, which is kind of neat I suppose!

Considering how OotS somewhat re-popularized them, I have to imagine that the authors drew some inspiration from it as well.

Millstone85
2017-11-04, 12:20 PM
After being disappointed with the main rulebook, I wasn't going to bother with the bestiary.

I mean, it is one thing for the art to be almost all cheap screenshots, but why did they have to use some broken vectors too? Also, "Queen Crysalis" and "Lord Tyrek", seriously? For those who don't know, the correct spelling is Queen Chrysalis and Lord Tirek.

But this? This is hilarious. I may reconsider buying the bestiary just for that gag.

And flumphs do have a purpose, at least as of fifth edition D&D. Because of the way they feed and their dogoodery, they make great exposition fairies.

2D8HP
2017-11-04, 01:05 PM
....they make great exposition fairies.

Probably just my being deranged but "great exposition fairy" sounds like a euphemism to me.

Are you insinuating something?

Millstone85
2017-11-04, 02:17 PM
Probably just my being deranged but "great exposition fairy" sounds like a euphemism to me.

Are you insinuating something?Nope. All I mean is that when your heroic party is feeling lost in the Underdark, this floating thing will appear and go "Hey, listen!" about the area, the telepathic communications they have intercepted from a nearby illithid colony, and other stuff you might want to know.

Algeh
2017-11-04, 04:07 PM

Are you insinuating something?

I think of the Great Exposition Fairy as something like the Great Pumpkin. If you find the most sincere dungeon in all the land, it will come visit you and explain all the plotlines that you weren't paying attention to because you were too busy looting stuff.

ShadowHare
2017-11-04, 11:49 PM
After being disappointed with the main rulebook, I wasn't going to bother with the bestiary.

I mean, it is one thing for the art to be almost all cheap screenshots, but why did they have to use some broken vectors too? Also, "Queen Crysalis" and "Lord Tyrek", seriously? For those who don't know, the correct spelling is Queen Chrysalis and Lord Tirek.

...wait, you were disappointed by the artwork? That's like my favorite part of the main rulebook! It's so colorful, and there's pictures on literally every single page! I thought that ripping screencaps was a very fair price for having such a massive volume of art. I thought they used the art contextually pretty well, too.

But yeah, there are a lot of typos, in both books.