PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5e help making not to strong flying LA+1 LV3 Warlock

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-03, 12:42 AM
Hello guys :)

In the game I am DMing one of me players is going to run a short adventure and I need help with choosing Invocations, feats and a race(I am just bad at making casters).

I want the ability to break stuff at will but I am fine with waiting one level if I need.
I don't want to go into melee, I want to stay in range combat.
I don't want to overshadow the Half-Minotaur.
I will be CG or LN.

There is a free LA +1(no need to buy it).
The party have:
-Draconic Elan Erudit that use BFC and healing(OOCombat) with infinite PP regeneration.

-Draconic Tabbit Dragonfire Adapt that use BFC with Entangling Breath and Item crafting(will not be in this adventure as the player is running it).

-Half-Minotaur Human Fighter with a 2 handed weapon.

this will be:
-32 point buy
-2 flaws
-LA+1 for free
-all 3.5e books with me allowing to use stuff from the different magazines
-2250gp
-I am not sure if the item crafter will have to time to craft some items for me but I will need to find the spell or power to use because he doesn't cast spells.

Esprit15
2017-11-03, 01:03 AM
Sparrow Hengeyoukai
Warlock 3
L1) Mortal Bane
Flaw) Surrogate Spellcasting
Flaw) Extra Invocation.
L3) Maximize Spell-Like Ability

Dump physical stats, always be a little birdy on the minotaur's shoulders shooting lasers.

Take Eldritch Spear as one of your invocations, and grab one of the items to get an extra d6 of damage with it. I'm also partial to Baleful Utterance, since immunity to walls is always fun, and sometimes you get to shatter the weapon of the enemy orc at low levels. Or Dark One's Own Luck if you buff your CHA, and get poor man's Divine Grace.

ATHATH
2017-11-03, 01:13 AM
Warlocks can't be LN (unless you somehow get the Ordered Chaos feat or your DM houserules away the alignment restrictions of the class).

The Baleful Utterance Least Invocation gives you Shatter at-will, which should do nicely for your stated goal of "break stuff at will".

As for flight, you could pick up the Fell Flight Lesser Invocation at 6th level, be a Raptoran, be a Dragonborn with the wings aspect, be a Sparrow Hengeyokai, be a Crane Hengeyokai, or acquire flight through some other means (like, say, the Fly spell or a magic item). Note that Hengeyokai can get flight at first level, while some of the other races that can grant flight grant psuedo-flight at first level and have it automatically upgraded to full flight at a later point.

This might be of some help to you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252715-The-New-Warlock-Handbook-3-5-WIP

ayvango
2017-11-03, 02:04 AM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion of Thoth template has LA +1. It give Outsider Type (and martial weapon proficiency therefore), Fear Immunity and Wild Shape at will restricted to baboon and ibis (hawk). Wild shape to ibis gives you fly, and baboon is decent tool user in case your physical ability bonuses lacks. Also wild shaping heal number of HP, so you could use it repetitively to gain out of combat healing. Unfortunately warlocks lacks access to Alter Self and therefore could not use the greatest advantage of being outsider.

Nifft
2017-11-03, 02:13 AM
In the game I am DMing one of me players is going to run a short adventure and I need help with choosing Invocations, feats and a race(I am just bad at making casters).

I want the ability to break stuff at will but I am fine with waiting one level if I need.
I don't want to go into melee, I want to stay in range combat.
I don't want to overshadow the Half-Minotaur.
I will be CG or LN. You will be CG because you can't be LN and a Warlock.

You shouldn't worry about overshadowing a party member -- the Erudite ("with infinite PP regeneration") looks like a PC that's designed to outshine everyone else.

-Draconic Elan Erudit that use BFC and healing(OOCombat) with infinite PP regeneration. This character is a T1 breaking some rule or other.

-Draconic Tabbit Dragonfire Adapt that use BFC with Entangling Breath and Item crafting(will not be in this adventure as the player is running it). This character would normally be a T3 but seems to be self-nerfing (since DFA suck at item-crafting, and the Draconic template is providing redundant benefits, etc.).

-Half-Minotaur Human Fighter with a 2 handed weapon. This is a low-tier character -- but at low levels that's potentially quite effective, especially if the Erudite is generous with heals between combats.

this will be:
-32 point buy
-2 flaws
-LA+1 for free
-all 3.5e books with me allowing to use stuff from the different magazines
-2250gp
-I am not sure if the item crafter will have to time to craft some items for me but I will need to find the spell or power to use because he doesn't cast spells.

Weak flying Warlock...

Race: Air Mephling (Planar Handbook) - gets Perfect flight; +2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Cha, small Humanoid (Extraplanar), breath weapon

Feats:
* L1 Feat: Mortalbane
* L3 Feat: Improved Initiative

Invocations:
* L1: Baleful Utterance
* L2: Eldritch Glaive

The Eldritch Glaive is there so you have something to do in combat when you can't avoid melee, like if there's a ceiling, or if a monster can fly.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-03, 03:44 AM
Sparrow Hengeyoukai
Warlock 3
L1) Mortal Bane
Flaw) Surrogate Spellcasting
Flaw) Extra Invocation.
L3) Maximize Spell-Like Ability

Dump physical stats, always be a little birdy on the minotaur's shoulders shooting lasers.

Take Eldritch Spear as one of your invocations, and grab one of the items to get an extra d6 of damage with it. I'm also partial to Baleful Utterance, since immunity to walls is always fun, and sometimes you get to shatter the weapon of the enemy orc at low levels. Or Dark One's Own Luck if you buff your CHA, and get poor man's Divine Grace.
That sounds great and actually very fitting the world.
The question is: Can I cast in animal form?
The Warlock Invocations need a somatic component to cast.
Example:Thr Tabbit can use somatic components in him cat form.

Warlocks can't be LN (unless you somehow get the Ordered Chaos feat or your DM houserules away the alignment restrictions of the class).

The Baleful Utterance Least Invocation gives you Shatter at-will, which should do nicely for your stated goal of "break stuff at will".

As for flight, you could pick up the Fell Flight Lesser Invocation at 6th level, be a Raptoran, be a Dragonborn with the wings aspect, be a Sparrow Hengeyokai, be a Crane Hengeyokai, or acquire flight through some other means (like, say, the Fly spell or a magic item). Note that Hengeyokai can get flight at first level, while some of the other races that can grant flight grant psuedo-flight at first level and have it automatically upgraded to full flight at a later point.

This might be of some help to you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252715-The-New-Warlock-Handbook-3-5-WIP
Thank you and I am the DM, I wasn't sure if I want to waste afeat for being Lawful or not.

Mulhorandi Divine Minion of Thoth template has LA +1. It give Outsider Type (and martial weapon proficiency therefore), Fear Immunity and Wild Shape at will restricted to baboon and ibis (hawk). Wild shape to ibis gives you fly, and baboon is decent tool user in case your physical ability bonuses lacks. Also wild shaping heal number of HP, so you could use it repetitively to gain out of combat healing. Unfortunately warlocks lacks access to Alter Self and therefore could not use the greatest advantage of being outsider.
I actually ban the divine minion template.

You will be CG because you can't be LN and a Warlock.

You shouldn't worry about overshadowing a party member -- the Erudite ("with infinite PP regeneration") looks like a PC that's designed to outshine everyone else.
The guy make sure he doesn't take ​someone else rule, I know him for a long time and it is very easy to overshadow him
This character is a T1 breaking some rule or other.
It is by the rules
This character would normally be a T3 but seems to be self-nerfing (since DFA suck at item-crafting, and the Draconic template is providing redundant benefits, etc.).

This is a low-tier character -- but at low levels that's potentially quite effective, especially if the Erudite is generous with heals between combats.
The Erudite is the healer of the group, it take some of the powers he can use for the day, this is a big nerf

Weak flying Warlock...

Race: Air Mephling (Planar Handbook) - gets Perfect flight; +2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Cha, small Humanoid (Extraplanar), breath weapon
Edit:
Is it only me or this race is very underpowered?
By weak I meant not stuff like​ the white dragonspawn, mineral warrior or feral tameplates
Feats:
* L1 Feat: Mortalbane
* L3 Feat: Improved Initiative

Invocations:
* L1: Baleful Utterance
* L2: Eldritch Glaive

The Eldritch Glaive is there so you have something to do in combat when you can't avoid melee, like if there's a ceiling, or if a monster can fly.
I don't think I will need this as a melee option as I have a breath weapon and a Half-Minotaur as a shield