PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming ideas for modern themed spell effects.

frogglesmash
2017-11-03, 04:32 AM
d20 modern had a small number of spells tailored for a modern setting, but would like to expand that list a bit. Most of the published one's disable various types of technology, though a couple summon vehicles, and there's a pretty cool one that lets you travel via phone lines.

ayvango
2017-11-03, 04:47 AM
First thing that come to my mind: nondetection against surveillance cameras. Protection against airport scanners, so you could bring weapons on board. Masters touch that allows you to use any device touched, including driving vehicles. Commune with supercomputer and ask 1 question / round. Repel/Attract plastic. grow mechatendril tentacles. Curse item with tin pest. Transmute electricity to gas and gas to electricity.

Eldan
2017-11-03, 05:01 AM
I have no idea where I saw it, but I remember one setting that had a very powerful one. Basically a hiding spell, but how it works was that the caster cast it on a computer and it spread along all networks connected to that computer (i.e. the internet) and deleted all records on that caster on any computer connected. The villain used that to great effect, no one could really find out who he was.

Think about some modern annoyances, maybe, and how you'd solve them with magic? Detect Email Scam. Remember Password. Restore Deleted File. Connect Device, which finally makes your printer or projector work with your laptop.

Cosi
2017-11-03, 08:20 AM
One thing Shadowrun does to make magic work well with modern technology is have buffs be multiplicative, rather than additive. That means you get more mileage out of increasing the movement speed of something that is already fast (like a car) than you do a human. As a result, you have an incentive to use magic with technology.