PDA

View Full Version : SRD and OGL

BardicDuelist
2007-08-17, 12:10 PM
Because the OGL will continue for 4ed, will the SRD as well?

AlterForm
2007-08-17, 12:13 PM
Quickreply: Yes

For more info: http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=686

Iramus_the_odd
2007-08-17, 12:14 PM
I think a bigger question is will the SRD and OGL for 3.5 be retracted? I mean I have no intention of buying into this crud :smallmad: and I doubt I am alone. Will third parties be able to continue to produce material for 3.5? I mean from a marketing standpoint wouldn't this constitute competition against people transitioning into 4.0?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-17, 12:27 PM
I think a bigger question is will the SRD and OGL for 3.5 be retracted? I mean I have no intention of buying into this crud :smallmad: and I doubt I am alone. Will third parties be able to continue to produce material for 3.5? I mean from a marketing standpoint wouldn't this constitute competition against people transitioning into 4.0?
The OGL is independent of the d20 system. It's a gaming liscense that can be applied to just about game-related product. As far as Open Liscenses are concerned—once something's been released on an Open Liscense, it's pretty well out there for good. So, yeah, anything released under the OGL should still be out there. If anyone wants to make products that work with the current Open Content d20 system, there won't be anything that can really stop them.

Of course, as people transition to 4.0, the market for such products will shrink. So the real question is, "Will any third parties still be interested in making 3.5-compatible products?"

Fax Celestis
2007-08-17, 12:36 PM
The answer is probably "Yes," considering there were quite a few companies that continued 2e support even after 3e came out.

I just hope that they relax OGL on 3.x material somewhat. It'd certainly be nice.

EDIT: asked the question here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=905801&page=5).

Golthur
2007-08-17, 04:48 PM
They've more or less confirmed that there will be an SRD for 4E, but the part I'm worried about is the "licensing fee" for publishers. Does this mean that in order to actually make any money off of your 4E creations, you have to pay WoTC?

If so, this pretty much kills the market for the smaller $5 PDF publishers, which I find sad, because there's some gold there.

Able to afford the license fee does not necessarily mean high-quality, and vice versa.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-17, 04:50 PM
They've more or less confirmed that there will be an SRD for 4E, but the part I'm worried about is the "licensing fee" for publishers. Does this mean that in order to actually make any money off of your 4E creations, you have to pay WoTC?

If so, this pretty much kills the market for the smaller $5 PDF publishers, which I find sad, because there's some gold there.

Able to afford the license fee does not necessarily mean high-quality, and vice versa.

That licensing fee is a rumor, nothing more.

Golthur
2007-08-17, 04:55 PM
That licensing fee is a rumor, nothing more.

Well, I hope it's a false one, then. :smile:

DraPrime
2007-08-17, 05:20 PM
Well, I hope it's a false one, then. :smile:

Amen to that.