PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Path of War/Akashic Mysteries] Making a supernatural Fist Fighter (build advice)

Swaoeaeieu
2017-11-03, 09:08 AM
Hello Playground,

For a while now, i had an idea floating around for a character that blends Path of War and Akashic Mysteries. The goal is to make a Unarmed (or gauntleted) striker who can fight on the front lines an be a fun addition to any party. The goal is not to be super optimized, but to pack as much flavour into a small packages, while still doing impressive things on the battlefield. You know, that stuff Path of War is super good at.

My thoughts were that a Daevic is always low on essence, and that the new Radiant Dawn maneuvers give extra essence. So, taking a level of Steelfist Commando Warlord would give essence. 4 levels of Daevic give binds to feet and hands, and with practised initiator a four level dip loses you no initiator levels. So this might be a cool combination! especially since the maximum essence per veil scales with character level, not veilweiver level, and more levels of warlord would get more RD maneuvers and thus essence.

I was thinking to use Wrath Deava for the free attack when bullrushing, provided there are maneuvers that give bullrushes as well.
And the warlord gambits give partymembers small buffs, and RD has party support as well. Both classes even use Charisma as a usefull stat.

So i am convinced this combination should work, i just cant figure out any specifics to put on paper.
What do you guys think about this idea? Would it work, does it have merit? Any suggestions i could throw in there as well? One idea was to use Half Giant as a race and take Up the Wall feat, partially because charging along walls is great (shouting "UP THE WALLS!!!" as you do off course), and partially to just pick up all three DSP categories in one character.

I am excited but scatterbrained, any advice from the playground?
thanks in advance

Manyasone
2017-11-03, 02:06 PM
Well... Since you already are using dsp material. Why not a 'war soul deadly fist soul knife daevic' I mean why not go Goku all the way when possible ;)

Swaoeaeieu
2017-11-03, 02:13 PM
Well... Since you already are using dsp material. Why not a 'war soul deadly fist soul knife daevic' I mean why not go Goku all the way when possible ;)

how would that particular combo work? other then just stacking things on top of eachother?

Air0r
2017-11-03, 05:00 PM
I imagine that combo would use the warsoul to have maneuvers on your soulknife, while the deadly fist makes it a very unarmed combat focus (presumably picking up the feat that lets you treat your soulknife level as 4 higher for your mindblade-equivalent's progression and/or maybe that one trait that treats your soulknife level as 2 higher). then multiclassing daevic for your veilweaving.

Anyway, I personally have been considering using Aegis and grabbing the customizations for veilweaving and maneuvers.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-11-05, 06:54 AM
The build i currently have is Half giant Steelfist Commando 1/Daevic 2/Steelfist +1/Daevic +2/ Steelfist+X

Feats:
Wild Talent (bonus)
Up the wall (Level 1)
Improved Unarmed Strike (Bonus)
Power Attack (level 3)
Enhanced Capacity (level 5)
Essence of the Immortal (level 7)
Greater Unarmed Strike (bonus)

With Unorthodox Method and Practised Initiator as Traits i have full initiator level and acces to a lot of disciplines that could prove usefull:
Primal Fury (talent switch with Golden Lion)
Broken Blade (Steelfist)
Fools Errand (free switch)
Radiant Dawn (free Switch)
Thrashing Dragon (Warlord)
Riven Hourglass (Steelfist)

With those levels of Daevic i can Bind Forcestrike knuckles for force damage and a shield bonus, shape armory of the conquerer for making my weapon treated as a step larger (2 steps larger at level 6) and Daevic Aspect for another bonus on damage.

Essence of the Immortal increases HP the more essence i get, and as long as i keep a good line of RD maneuvers that pool will increase. Caged Sun stance will double HP as long as i can get healed, wich the discipline does as well.

Thats the foundation i got in place now, a medium character using Large Gauntlets (powerfull Build) that count as huge or more, with self healing capabilities. and helping the party with healing maneuvers or bonusses from gambits and other warlord features.
Upon seeing this start of a build, do you guys see any suggestions?

Elricaltovilla
2017-11-05, 08:11 AM
I would consider either picking up Sleeping Goddess or at the very least spending a feat after you reach IL 4 on Advanced Study to pick up Unbroken Stride. It's a first level stance that gets you water walking, wall climbing and eventually flight, with less hassle than the other disciplines you have.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-11-05, 08:23 AM
I would consider either picking up Sleeping Goddess or at the very least spending a feat after you reach IL 4 on Advanced Study to pick up Unbroken Stride. It's a first level stance that gets you water walking, wall climbing and eventually flight, with less hassle than the other disciplines you have.

In the end that would be better then just Up the Walls yeah... good point. i kinda forgot about that entire discipline for a second.

Elricaltovilla
2017-11-05, 09:45 AM
In the end that would be better then just Up the Walls yeah... good point. i kinda forgot about that entire discipline for a second.

You might want to consider taking a closer look then. There are quite a few maneuvers in there that let you make combat maneuver checks including bull-rushes. Eternal Guardian also has several combat maneuver maneuvers (gosh that's weird to say).