PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy Tech Priest (Adeptus Mechanicus) 1st ed...OP how?

Rerednaw
2017-11-03, 10:12 AM
Heyas I got an invite for a 1E DH game...I like the fluff of a tech priest. A TP was my first character a long time ago when the game was new...but everyone else was rank 5 (including a TK Psyker with a ranged Force weapon) so I didn't feel all that useful.

I've read several thread where they rail about TP being so OP and so broken...but no one actually cites the source or gives an example. All I hear is: they get tech use and a lot of toughness.

Um okay. I can see where that is useful...but how is that OP? I plan to play a tinker with a dash of lock-picking type skills. For combat I guess he'll go ranged, he doesn't like to get his 'delicate hands stained' as he needs to keep them sacrosanct so he may apply holy WD-40 to keep the engines running.

Does anyone have a few spot builds? I think the party already has a high rank psyker, a (forget their name) but it's t0he female soldier class that starts with heavy armor and so forth. I don't expect to keep up but would like to feel somewhat useful. I like the fact that he could have tech pets...maybe he could focus on having a few of those. On top of the cyberpunk mentality of 'metal is better than meat'

The folks have already said the game is high combat lethal with a lot of PC deaths.

Cheers!

Magua
2017-11-03, 11:13 AM
It's not super overpowered, no. Not like psykers can be. But...

It can tank really, really, really well. High Toughness. Plus armor plating (see if you can get cybernetic resurrection for even more fun). Plus armor. Plus regeneration via prosanguine. Plus ignoring fatigue.

In addition to this, mechadendrites. With the medical mechadendrite, the ballistic one, and maybe one other that I'm forgetting, you've got at least an extra 2 attacks if you do a full attack action.

In addition to that, tech use is like the "Use the Force" of DH, especially with the right equipment.

---

How much XP are you coming in at?

Rerednaw
2017-11-03, 11:32 AM
It's not super overpowered, no. Not like psykers can be. But...

It can tank really, really, really well. High Toughness. Plus armor plating (see if you can get cybernetic resurrection for even more fun). Plus armor. Plus regeneration via prosanguine. Plus ignoring fatigue.

In addition to this, mechadendrites. With the medical mechadendrite, the ballistic one, and maybe one other that I'm forgetting, you've got at least an extra 2 attacks if you do a full attack action.

In addition to that, tech use is like the "Use the Force" of DH, especially with the right equipment.

---

How much XP are you coming in at?
Thanks for the response!

XP? Since I have not heard to the contrary, I would assume standard starting base.

Oh are those items you mentioned (skills/talents/etc) all from the core book? Which other sources should I be looking at?
Any recommended backgrounds (I suppose max out Int right? Or is Willpower more appropriate?) I don't see him being any kind of combat monster at start. I like the little laser eye idea (was reading up) though sounds nifty.

Magua
2017-11-03, 01:20 PM
Most of it is from the main rulebook. Cybernetic resurrection is from the Inquisitor's Handbook, though. There's a lot of forge world equipment in there that may be useful as well.

Standard to come in is 500xp. You definitely want a background (also from IH), they're very cost efficient, regardless of which you pick.

With remaining XP:

- Feedback Screech is a very, very powerful effect -- essentially forces a Pinning test on everyone around you; the only downside is you'll need to work out a way to avoid your allies having to as well -- that depends on what your GM will accept. But keeping enemies from being able to take a full round action keeps them from doing full auto, suppressing fire, full attack, etc.
- Spend XP to boost intelligence, since Tech Use is based off of it.
- Logic could be useful, also depending upon the GM.

Also try to get equipment that complements your skills and/or interests you. A combi-tool is a free +10 to Tech-Use, auspex is a free +20 to Awareness, multikey is a free +30 to opening locks, etc. There's additional equipment in IH, but it's more specialized.

Starting off, you're going to suck, even at stuff you should be good at. It's a flaw of the DH1 system. Use equipment to improve your chances. Aim actions and a red-dot sight to improve your chances of shooting can give you up to a +30 weapon, +40 if you can get an accurate weapon (and, by the errata, also means you're rolling 3d10 for damage instead of 1d10). Try to get situation bonuses out of your GM whenever possible (eg, if you want to hack some heretek's cogitator, try to observe them using it and claim a bonus from that, or ask if your Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus) can identify the model it was based off, etc etc etc).

Seems silly to put you in with a party that's thousands of xp in advance of you, but c'est la vie.

Chijinda
2017-11-04, 05:02 AM
Tech Priest is definitely one of the stronger options available in core DH, but it's Lathe worlds, as I understand it, that pushed them into OP status. Still not Psyker-level though.

Tech Priests have certain advantages that are similar to Psykers in that they have a number of Advancements that are Tech Priest exclusive, but even that aside, they still have a tremendous amount of options available to them, allowing you a fair amount of flexibility in your build (even though it's definitely optimal just to focus on smarts and toughness, with a dash of willpower and ballistic skill on the side).

I think an overlooked aspect of the Tech Priest is their lore strength. While this may depend on the GM-- you're a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Barring really absurd scenarios that basically gives you a carte blanche to go where you want to, talk to who you want, and do what you want without fear of repercussions. Someone wants to know what you're doing? Are they a member of the Mechanicus? Then too bad, it's classified, but you'd better let us into that secured chamber anyways, because the Mechanicus demands it. You have a LOT of lore power to swing around as a Tech Priest. Really the only other career that gives you the kind of "official" power a Tech Priest does is an Arbitrator. It's not something to take lightly.

Incorrect
2017-11-06, 07:54 AM
To optimize Toughness, start with 40, cheaply upgrade to 60. Replace all limbs for +2 TB when shot in mechanical replacement limbs. Use mechanicum contacts, trade armorer, and a good income to obtain good armor for 6 armor points. Add armor plating, talents and unnatural stats to taste.
Reduce all damage by at least 14. Be immune to fire from pistols and almost all basic weapons.

But wait there is more!
You are also a genius, with many skills.
You also have access to very effective gadgets. Mechandrites being amazing.

Of cause this is not damage, but it is very powerful for tanking and utility.
To deal damage, use the very thematic skitarii vanaheim automatic shotgun. Use your tankyness to close to 3 meters, and go full auto. People, monsters, machines, places and concepts, will all die.

Aneurin
2017-11-06, 08:16 AM
To optimize Toughness, start with 40, cheaply upgrade to 60. Replace all limbs for +2 TB when shot in mechanical replacement limbs. Use mechanicum contacts, trade armorer, and a good income to obtain good armor for 6 armor points. Add armor plating, talents and unnatural stats to taste.
Reduce all damage by at least 14. Be immune to fire from pistols and almost all basic weapons.

It is, I think, worth noting that actually most PCs can do this too. Cybernetics, Toughness advances and good armour aren't restricted to Tech-Priests in any way, shape or form. In fact, the only reason a DH Tech-Priest has an edge in the tanky department is the cheaper Toughness advances, and The Flesh Is Weak talents which, if I recall correctly, don't actually stack with worn armour - but will apply against Fire damage.

But wait there is more!
You are also a genius, with many skills.
You also have access to very effective gadgets. Mechandrites being amazing.

Of cause this is not damage, but it is very powerful for tanking and utility.
To deal damage, use the very thematic skitarii vanaheim automatic shotgun. Use your tankyness to close to 3 meters, and go full auto. People, monsters, machines, places and concepts, will all die.

...Again, not particularly exclusive to Tech-Priests bar the Mechadendrites. Admittedly, other Acolytes getting Skitarii weaponry is going to be a little tougher than for a Tech-Priest (and possibly involve more murder and theft), but since the average Tech-Priest isn't the elite guard of the Forge Worlds they're not going to get it all that easily either.

Other Acolytes will end up equally skilled if they want (particularly Adepts), and just as capable in their own fields.

I'm not saying Tech-Priests aren't strong - they've got some solid options in their career paths - and it's pretty hard to go wrong when purchasing advances, but they're not exactly the game-wrecking terrors that calling them over powered implies. Honestly, I think they mostly get their rep from Guardsmen (the dedicated combat career) being lousy, but Guardsmen are lousy compared to all the careers since combat is all they do while Tech-Priests can do combat and other things.

Rerednaw
2017-11-09, 03:22 PM
It is, I think, worth noting that actually most PCs can do this too. Cybernetics, Toughness advances and good armour aren't restricted to Tech-Priests in any way, shape or form. In fact, the only reason a DH Tech-Priest has an edge in the tanky department is the cheaper Toughness advances, and The Flesh Is Weak talents which, if I recall correctly, don't actually stack with worn armour - but will apply against Fire damage.

...Again, not particularly exclusive to Tech-Priests bar the Mechadendrites. Admittedly, other Acolytes getting Skitarii weaponry is going to be a little tougher than for a Tech-Priest (and possibly involve more murder and theft), but since the average Tech-Priest isn't the elite guard of the Forge Worlds they're not going to get it all that easily either.

Other Acolytes will end up equally skilled if they want (particularly Adepts), and just as capable in their own fields.

I'm not saying Tech-Priests aren't strong - they've got some solid options in their career paths - and it's pretty hard to go wrong when purchasing advances, but they're not exactly the game-wrecking terrors that calling them over powered implies. Honestly, I think they mostly get their rep from Guardsmen (the dedicated combat career) being lousy, but Guardsmen are lousy compared to all the careers since combat is all they do while Tech-Priests can do combat and other things.

Start with 40? How is this done? I think my highest stat is around 33 (int). My toughness is 29. WS is sitting at 16. Most stats are in the mid 20's to lower 30's.

Aneurin
2017-11-09, 03:47 PM
Start with 40? How is this done? I think my highest stat is around 33 (int). My toughness is 29. WS is sitting at 16. Most stats are in the mid 20's to lower 30's.

With laughable ease if you're using point buy. If you're allowed to assign rolls where you want, then it's still fairly plausible (odds are you'll get one decent roll) and just take all the background options you can find that boost Toughness (or whatever it was you wanted high).

It's only hard to do if you're doing by the book roll in order for your stats. Or, you know, want a thematic/flexible character rather than a simply powerful one.

...How the heck did you end up with 16 WS? I didn't think it was possible to get it that low.

Destro_Yersul
2017-11-10, 01:05 AM
With laughable ease if you're using point buy. If you're allowed to assign rolls where you want, then it's still fairly plausible (odds are you'll get one decent roll) and just take all the background options you can find that boost Toughness (or whatever it was you wanted high).

It's only hard to do if you're doing by the book roll in order for your stats. Or, you know, want a thematic/flexible character rather than a simply powerful one.

...How the heck did you end up with 16 WS? I didn't think it was possible to get it that low.

You'd have to have a couple of negative penalties to WS, but it can be done. I've got a techpriest with WS 17, because Forge World and the Disciples of Thule package both reduce WS.

Also, point buy is cheating. :smalltongue:

Braininthejar2
2017-11-23, 05:38 PM
Be the guy who gets things done by talking - even if your social skills are abysmal, everyone in Wh40k has some piece of machinery his life depends on. You can make a lot of friends just doing maintenance.

Corollary - everyone in Wh40k can be killed by messing with the right piece of machinery.