PDA

View Full Version : Spellblade: You Favorite spells to ward against?

Westhart
2017-11-03, 12:58 PM
As the title says, what are your (guys/gals/and everyone else) favorite spell to utilize the spellblade (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/weapon/Spellblade)special weapon ability for (excluding things like spellsword tennis)?

Bakkan
2017-11-03, 01:04 PM
As the title says, what are your (guys/gals/and everyone else) favorite spell to utilize the spellblade (http://www.realmshelps.net/magic/weapon/Spellblade)special weapon ability for
Well, I like to get three constructs with Spellblades of magic missile and...
(excluding things like spellsword tennis)?
Aww.

For me, wish is an easy choice. Mordenkainen's disjunction and greater dispel magic are also good.

flappeercraft
2017-11-03, 01:07 PM
P.S: Can't Spellblade Disjunction, it is an area effect

One of my favorites is probably Magic Missile since it always hits.

Westhart
2017-11-03, 01:10 PM
Well, I like to get three constructs with Spellblades of magic missile and...
Aww.

:smallwink:

For me, wish is an easy choice. Mordenkainen's disjunction and greater dispel magic are also good.

Yeah, those are good ones, I had a player who made one with prestidigation :smallconfused:

Westhart
2017-11-03, 01:11 PM
P.S: Can't Spellblade Disjunction, it is an area effect

One of my favorites is probably Magic Missile since it always hits.

Yeah, that's on my list, I had a DM who had a castle full of magic missile swarmers... Equip these, and some other things and stride through :smallbiggrin:

Bakkan
2017-11-03, 01:11 PM
Quite right, my mistake.

Psyren
2017-11-03, 01:30 PM
You can beat MM with Shield so I would consider that a bit of a waste of a spellblade.

Also note that while the Spellblade protects you, it does not protect itself, so they can target it directly rather than you.

Westhart
2017-11-03, 01:32 PM
Also note that while the Spellblade protects you, it does not protect itself, so they can target it directly rather than you.

Huh, never noticed that part...

Deophaun
2017-11-03, 02:21 PM
Always thought any of the dispels was a waste, seeing as how there are a lot to cover and it's still easy to get a CL of "No" to make them all irrelevant anyway.

Implosion's nice as traditional means to get immunity to death effects don't apply.

ayvango
2017-11-03, 03:19 PM
Antimagic Field. It is really inconvenient when it is applied to you and you have no saves to resist.

Psyren
2017-11-03, 03:24 PM
Antimagic Field. It is really inconvenient when it is applied to you and you have no saves to resist.

Won't work, that's an area spell (emanation.)

Nifft
2017-11-03, 03:49 PM
You can beat MM with Shield so I would consider that a bit of a waste of a spellblade.

Magic Missile
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Simple solution: use Spellblade enhancement on a weapon which is not a creature.

In most games this is the default so following this advice ought to be pretty simple.

ayvango
2017-11-03, 04:25 PM
Won't work, that's an area spell (emanation.)
That would not work when you are in a AMF casted by someone. But that would help if you triggered glyph of warding with AMF stored in it. All your magic defences are disabled, contingency spells shut off, you become subject to many attacks. So to prevent such disaster I need to store AMF in my ring of counterspells (since spellblades are banned)

Psyren
2017-11-03, 05:33 PM
That would not work when you are in a AMF casted by someone. But that would help if you triggered glyph of warding with AMF stored in it. All your magic defences are disabled, contingency spells shut off, you become subject to many attacks. So to prevent such disaster I need to store AMF in my ring of counterspells (since spellblades are banned)

Wouldn't that suppress the glyph too?

ayvango
2017-11-03, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't that suppress the glyph too?
You cast spell into glyph and it not active until triggered. Otherwise it would consume duration and become non-functional quickly.

Psyren
2017-11-03, 08:00 PM
You cast spell into glyph and it not active until triggered. Otherwise it would consume duration and become non-functional quickly.

I meant after the AMF activates, but I suppose it's moot given that the glyph is discharged anyway.

Crake
2017-11-03, 11:43 PM

Ring of counterspells only applies to spells cast at you, again, area effect spells aren't protected against, and spellblade wouldn't protect against an AMF triggered by glyph of warding for the same reasons.

Also, spellblades only protect you against a single casting of the spell. It only functions the next time you're targetted by that spell, not each time or every time, so for it's price, you better make it something worthwhile. Wording matters people.

ayvango
2017-11-04, 01:42 AM
AMF is not an area effect. It has target personal. So a trespasser would become target of AMF and AMF would emanate from him. It is a very nasty condition and subject could not do anything with it. It is the worst trap I could imagine. So it is necessary to have ring of counter spells (pay twice to get it off body). And make some contingency on condition that the ring was triggered.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-04, 01:46 AM
The various wide-variety effect spells, such as wish, miracle, (greater) shadow conjuration/evocation, and (greater) bestow curse. Wish and miracle are especially important later on, when you're ensconced on your favorite demiplane, astrally projected out, and want to protect your body from harm. Just wear a +1 spellblade poison ring or twenty (one on each finger and toe), and tell those pushy mages trying to teleport you out to go stuff themselves. It's also useful when storing an enemy in quintessence on a prison plane of your own making (which is also filled with quintessence).

Also, any spell or effect that is self-only that you want to pass on to someone else. Like, say, the wu jen's transcend mortality, to turn your enemies into walking suicide time-bombs.

Psyren
2017-11-04, 12:25 PM
AMF is not an area effect. It has target personal. So a trespasser would become target of AMF and AMF would emanate from him. It is a very nasty condition and subject could not do anything with it. It is the worst trap I could imagine. So it is necessary to have ring of counter spells (pay twice to get it off body). And make some contingency on condition that the ring was triggered.

Bold is false and I'm still not convinced this works; AMF is centered on you but it doesn't actually target you.

The various wide-variety effect spells, such as wish, miracle, (greater) shadow conjuration/evocation, and (greater) bestow curse. Wish and miracle are especially important later on, when you're ensconced on your favorite demiplane, astrally projected out, and want to protect your body from harm. Just wear a +1 spellblade poison ring or twenty (one on each finger and toe), and tell those pushy mages trying to teleport you out to go stuff themselves. It's also useful when storing an enemy in quintessence on a prison plane of your own making (which is also filled with quintessence).

If your opponents have multiple wishes they will get you eventually. They can start by wishing away all of your Spelllblades until you're no longer protected, then get you.