PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Sensei + Four Winds + Qinggong archetype question

Frosty
2017-11-03, 02:49 PM
The Sensei (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/sensei/) monk archetype has an ability where you can spend rounds of your bardic performance in order to use your ki powers on your allies instead of yourself.

Mystic Wisdom (Su)

At 6th level, a sensei may use his advice ability when spending points from his ki pool to activate a class ability (using the normal actions required for each) in order to have that ability affect one ally within 30 feet rather than the sensei himself.

At 10th level, a sensei may affect all allies within 30 feet rather than himself (spending points from his ki pool only once, not once for each target). At 10th level, a sensei may instead spend 1 point from his ki pool (as a swift action) while using advice to provide a single ally within 30 feet with evasion, fast movement, high jump, purity of body, or slow fall.

At 14th level, a sensei may spend 2 points to grant one of the abilities listed above to all allies within 30 feet, or diamond body, diamond soul, or improved evasion to a single ally within 30 feet. These abilities function at the sensei’s level and last 1 round.

This ability replaces the bonus feats gained at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.

Normally, the default monk Ki abilities only last one round, so I understand that the bolded section is meant to clarify that normally persistent abilities such as Diamond Soul and Improved Evasion and Fast Movement are only meant to last one round for your allies. But, what about when the Qinggong (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk/) archetype is brought in?

For example, one of the ki abilities you can get is Feather Step (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/feather-step). If the Sensei shares this ability with his allies, do his allies get to use it for 10 min per the monk's level, or just one round?

Second quick question: The Four Winds archetype has this as one of its abilities:

Slow Time (Su)

At 12th level, a monk of the four winds can use his ki to slow time or quicken his movements, depending on the observer. As a swift action, the monk can expend 6 ki points to gain three standard actions during his turn instead of just one. The monk can use these actions to do the following: take a melee attack action, use a skill, use an extraordinary ability, or take a move action. The monk cannot use these actions to cast spells or use spell-like abilities, and cannot combine them to take full-attack actions. Any move actions the monk makes this turn do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

This ability replaces abundant step.

If the Sensei decides to share this, does everyone in the party enter bullet time immediately, or do each of his allies enter bullet time on their own initiative, gaining those 3 extra Standard actions? Also, can those Standard actions be used for Vital Strike?

Frosty
2017-11-04, 11:35 AM
bump. Anyone know the answer?

Geddy2112
2017-11-04, 11:56 AM
I think the "this ability only lasts one round" is meant to apply to all abilities given out by a sensei. It states "class ability" at level 6, but at level 10 it starts naming class abilities, which to me seems to limit it to certain ones.... It is poorly written to say the least.

I do know you can vial strike three times in a slow time state. You are allowed three melee attack actions, and vital strike is an attack action.

Psyren
2017-11-04, 12:53 PM
Yeah it's unclear whether "these abilities" refers to just the ones in that paragraph, or the entire Mystic Wisdom ability. Personally I go with the latter - since you can power up any number of allies with these simultaneously, a short duration is a good tradeoff.

Frosty
2017-11-04, 01:30 PM
There’s short and then there’s worthless. Many of the qinggong SLA are nice buffs. Although I guess I can share stuff like True Strike with the entire party as a standard action...