PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I used to be an Ixitxachitl

Malapterus
2017-11-03, 04:44 PM
....I did what Ixitxachitls do

Just for a lark, I am considering the idea of an Ixitxachitl character (Monster Manual 2 page 128). With Simplified Level Adjustment they are only LA +1, so that problem is gone. The only problems left are, everything else.

The first thing such a character would need is some manner of magic item that turns their Swim speed into a Fly speed and allows them to survive indefinitely in the air. Does anyone know a good spell from which to base this item?

I am also very confused about their favored class - Cleric. How would you, as a DM, rule on Ixitxachitl spellcasting? They can do verbal components, I'm sure, and they can maybe do somatic components by wiggling their fins? What about material components - where do they keep them? How do they get them out?

How would it use a wand?

Would a magic item that gives them personal-range telekinesis ala Homestar Runner be expensive/overpowered?

What about some sort of exotic weapon to mount on the tail to make up for the stinger they inexplicably lack?

Give me your thoughts on this, as well as what classes might be favorable or interesting. For some reason I am thinking Barbarian.

Darrin
2017-11-04, 07:02 AM
Taking the Human Heritage feat (Races of Destiny) might allow it to take the Amphibious template (Stormwrack). Essentially reduce your Dex by 2 for the ability to breath air as well as water. If that doesn't quite work... there may be some template shenanigans you can hop through to change your type to monstrous humanoid, or just handwave the type requirement under Amphibious.

For a somewhat temporary solution, in Dragon #306, there's something called a Talisman of Adaptation for 325 GP, allows aquatic creatures to survive and breath outside of water for a week.

You could also make an elemental variant using the "Races of Air" rules in Unearthed Arcana (p. 16). This adds the Breathless (Ex) ability, which allows them to breath no matter where they are.

For movement... I'd probably start with a soulmeld, like Airstep Sandals. Fly 10' initially, which is barely moving, but it's better than not moving at all. Template wankery could also get you a fly speed, such as Half-Fey (Fiend Folio): 2x your fastest movement mode, so Fly 60'. Otherwise, you'd want some sort of continuous fins to feet item, but the magic item pricing guidelines suggest that this should cost around 12,000 GP.