PDA

View Full Version : Sun Domain + Rebuke Undead = ???

ATHATH
2017-11-03, 05:18 PM
The granted power of the Sun Domain:

Once per day, you can perform a greater turning against undead in place of a regular turning. The greater turning is like a normal turning except that the undead creatures that would be turned are destroyed instead.
From section of the SRD titled "Turn or Rebuke Undead":

Good clerics and paladins and some neutral clerics can channel positive energy, which can halt, drive off (rout), or destroy undead.

Evil clerics and some neutral clerics can channel negative energy, which can halt, awe (rebuke), control (command), or bolster undead.

Regardless of the effect, the general term for the activity is "turning." When attempting to exercise their divine control over these creatures, characters make turning checks.
From the section of the SRD titled "Evil Clerics and Undead":

Evil clerics channel negative energy to rebuke (awe) or command (control) undead rather than channeling positive energy to turn or destroy them. An evil cleric makes the equivalent of a turning check. Undead that would be turned are rebuked instead, and those that would be destroyed are commanded.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Gullintanni
2017-11-03, 05:33 PM
I see what you're hinting at. And... Maybe. Definitely not RAI - but possibly RAW.

Mike Miller
2017-11-03, 07:21 PM
Sounds like an easier way to command via turning to me.

Quertus
2017-11-03, 07:31 PM
And to think, I always used... What was it called? Disciple of the Sun and two turn attempts?

Mike Miller
2017-11-03, 08:05 PM
Who knew? Pelor was a Necromancer the whole time!

Crake
2017-11-03, 11:13 PM
And to think, I always used... What was it called? Disciple of the Sun and two turn attempts?

I actually took disciple of the sun and renamed it to Focused Channeling, removed the good requirement, and made it explicitly function for rebuking, but gave it the caveat that it cannot be used against anything with a CR higher than your ECL-2 (that's character level, not cleric level). That basically puts it on par with leadership in my opinion. If you want something stronger than that, you're just going to have to optimize your rebuking better.

Lazymancer
2017-11-06, 03:49 AM
Zarus, you mean.

RedMage125
2017-11-06, 05:40 AM

You mean...The Burning Hate?