PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Brow Gasher or Flames of the Faithful

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 06:52 PM
Currently running a Garuda-Blooded Aasimar Inquisitor. He's currently carrying 1 Flintlock Pistol (+7 to attack, 1d8+7 damage, crit: 20/x4), 1 rapier, (+5 to attack, 1d6+5 damage, crit:18-20/x2), 1 sword cane (same attack/damage as rapier, crit: 20/x2), and a +1 vorpal scimitar (+8 to attack, 1d6+8).

I'm trying to decide between Brow Gasher that reads as follows:

You imbue a slashing melee weapon with the ability to deal a gruesome head wound. When the target weapon hits a living creature, in addition to the normal effects of that hit, the wielder can discharge this spell as a free action to open a gash on the target's forehead that deals bleed damage equal to half your caster level. At the start of each of the target's turns, when it takes bleed damage, it also takes a cumulative –1 penalty on all attack rolls. When that penalty reaches –3, the target also treats all targets as having concealment (20% miss chance). When the penalty reaches –5, the target is blinded. Stopping the bleed damage ends the effects this spell imposes on the bleeding creature. A target that is immune to bleed damage is also immune to all this spell's effects.

And Flames of the Faithful, which reads as follows:

With a touch, you cause a glowing rune to appear on a single weapon, granting that weapon the flaming property (and allowing it to cause an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit). If you are using the judgment class feature, your weapon gains the flaming burst property instead. The spell functions only for weapons that you wield. If the weapon leaves your hand for any reason, the spell effect ends. The effects of this spell do not stack with any existing flaming or flaming burst weapon property that the target weapon may already possess.

Both seem to be great spells to take at level 6, which I've just hit, but I cannot decide between the two. What's the hivemind's thoughts on the two?

Galacktic
2017-11-03, 06:58 PM
Where and how did you get a +6 weapon at level 4 or so?

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 07:06 PM
Melee gains a +6 and ranged is a +8.

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 07:08 PM

Also, I'm level 6, not level 4. The rest of the party is higher level so it's balanced out. Playing Strange Aeons currently. The vorpal scimitar was given to me in one of the dreams. The flintlock is a gift from the Church of Apsu. The sword cane is basically just a flavor thing. I don't use it very often. The rapier was also given to me by the Church of Apsu.

That also has nothing to do with my question so...

Vhaidara
2017-11-03, 07:16 PM
First, you forgot to actually describe the spells.

Both spells are frankly awful, because they are standard action cast times that last rounds/level, so you are forced to spend an action in combat to cast them. This is an action you don't spend attacking your enemies.

As a note, the +1 Vorpal scimitar is a +6 weapon, because Vorpal is a +5 equivalent enhancement. This means it is worth 72000gp.

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 07:35 PM
First, you forgot to actually describe the spells.

Both spells are frankly awful, because they are standard action cast times that last rounds/level, so you are forced to spend an action in combat to cast them. This is an action you don't spend attacking your enemies.

As a note, the +1 Vorpal scimitar is a +6 weapon, because Vorpal is a +5 equivalent enhancement. This means it is worth 72000gp.

Weird. I put them in spoiler tags. I'll have to fix that.

I was just told it's a +1 Vorpal scimitar, however, I have it calculated now after doing my level adjustment to receive a +10 to attack (+4 BAB and +6 from Vorpal) Did I adjust that part correctly?

What do you recommend taking in place of one of those spells then?

Spells list are as follows:

0 Level-
- Acid Splash
- Bleed
- Detect Magic
- Discern Lies
- Sift
- Stabilize

1st Level-
- Bane
- Cure Light Wounds
- Deadeye's Arrow (homebrewed as 'Deadeye's Bullet' and deals additional damage after standard 'bullet')
- Inflict Light Wounds

2nd Level-
- Blistering Invective
- Inheritor's Smite
- Invisibility

grarrrg
2017-11-03, 07:40 PM
I was just told it's a +1 Vorpal scimitar, however, I have it calculated now after doing my level adjustment to receive a +10 to attack (+4 BAB and +6 from Vorpal) Did I adjust that part correctly?

It still only gets a +1 to hit/damage.
The +6 part is because the Vorpal ability is _priced_ similar to a straight +5 bonus (and there are limits on just how many +# and +equivalents you can put on an item).
So +1 for basic bonus, +5 for Vorpal ability > +6 weapon.

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 07:58 PM
It still only gets a +1 to hit/damage.
The +6 part is because the Vorpal ability is _priced_ similar to a straight +5 bonus (and there are limits on just how many +# and +equivalents you can put on an item).
So +1 for basic bonus, +5 for Vorpal ability > +6 weapon.

Okay, so math was wrong. So BAB is +4, stat is +2, so that's a +6 before the Vorpal Scimitar. A scimitar is considered a finesse weapon, correct? So if it is, I could use my Dex in place of it, putting it at BAB +4, stat +4, for a total of +8 before the Vorpal property.

ngilop
2017-11-03, 09:41 PM
brow basher is CRAP

if you hit something 3 rounds in a row its DEAD, let alone 5 rounds.

SO take that into consideration.

MatchesMalone
2017-11-03, 09:47 PM
brow basher is CRAP

if you hit something 3 rounds in a row its DEAD, let alone 5 rounds.

SO take that into consideration.

Okay, but what would you suggest taking in place of it?

Treblain
2017-11-03, 10:23 PM
Flames of the Faithful is better of the two. With the scimitar/rapier you'll have a chance of getting to use Flaming Burst (though it's still not reliable enough to get the most out of a short-duration spell), while in very few circumstances will enemies survive enough rounds to suffer from Brow Gasher's penalties.

For Inquisitors a self-buff is fine for the first round depending on the combat. You can't use Bane and Judgment in the same round so you might want to use Judgment in the first and cast a spell instead of attacking, and save your rounds of Bane until the second round when you do attack. Offensive spells and debuffs are also good openers but it depends on the situation.

ngilop
2017-11-03, 10:31 PM
Okay, but what would you suggest taking in place of it?

It depends, are you looking for a spell to deal additional damage, increase your defenses, or have some utility?

MatchesMalone
2017-11-04, 07:38 AM
It depends, are you looking for a spell to deal additional damage, increase your defenses, or have some utility?

I'd like to be able to deal additional damage or even increase my defenses. If I remember correctly, I have the lowest AC at 21.

MatchesMalone
2017-11-04, 07:39 AM
Flames of the Faithful is better of the two. With the scimitar/rapier you'll have a chance of getting to use Flaming Burst (though it's still not reliable enough to get the most out of a short-duration spell), while in very few circumstances will enemies survive enough rounds to suffer from Brow Gasher's penalties.

For Inquisitors a self-buff is fine for the first round depending on the combat. You can't use Bane and Judgment in the same round so you might want to use Judgment in the first and cast a spell instead of attacking, and save your rounds of Bane until the second round when you do attack. Offensive spells and debuffs are also good openers but it depends on the situation.

Thanks for the recommendations. I greatly appreciate it!

Vhaidara
2017-11-04, 08:35 AM
Okay, so math was wrong. So BAB is +4, stat is +2, so that's a +6 before the Vorpal Scimitar. A scimitar is considered a finesse weapon, correct? So if it is, I could use my Dex in place of it, putting it at BAB +4, stat +4, for a total of +8 before the Vorpal property.

Scimitar is NOT a finesse weapon. There is a feat called Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat/) that you can take to allow you to use Dex to hit and damage with a scimitar, provided you have nothing in your off hand, but it requires ranks in Perform (Dance), but baseline weapon finesse does not work with a scimitar.

ngilop
2017-11-04, 08:53 AM
my suggestions for spells

Aid: it gives you or an ally temporary HP, and a mall bonus to attacks and saves vs fear

Savage maw: you know can bite things with your new attack form

Tactical Acumen: you and allies within 30 feet gain either +1 bonus to attacks OR AC when positioning would get you a bonus otherwise

Weapon of awe: +2 damage for your weapon