PDA

View Full Version : phoenix and shapechange.

Braininthejar2
2017-11-03, 08:04 PM
What happens if you shapechange into a phoenix, and then immolate?

a) You die and the spell ends.

b) You die and are reborn from the ashes, the spell continues and you return to your natural form when it ends.

c) You die and the spell ends. You are reborn from the ashes and are now a phoenix

?

PhantasyPen
2017-11-03, 08:28 PM
I am inclined say A, but I might be convinced to let you be reborn as yourself per the ability effect. The spell would end for sure though.

frogglesmash
2017-11-03, 08:29 PM
Assuming you're referring to the Phoenix from MMII, you would die, a new phoenix would be reborn, and the spell would end. The end result is your death and the birth of a new phoenix.

PhantasyPen
2017-11-03, 08:31 PM
Assuming you're referring to the Phoenix from MMII, you would die, a new phoenix would be reborn, and the spell would end. The end result is your death and the birth of a new phoenix.

Oooh~ That's an interesting way to redeem an evil character.

Crake
2017-11-03, 11:08 PM
Oooh~ That's an interesting way to redeem an evil character.

Is it really redeeming them though? Their soul will plummet straight to hell. Kinda not really any redemption there.

Calthropstu
2017-11-03, 11:22 PM

If you had some form of auto ressurection on death, you could spend all day creating new pheonix like this. Neat.

I could see a lich doing this. Creating a phoenix from scratch and harvesting the feathers. He auto respawns and has plenty of time...

frogglesmash
2017-11-04, 04:29 AM

If you had some form of auto ressurection on death, you could spend all day creating new pheonix like this. Neat.

I could see a lich doing this. Creating a phoenix from scratch and harvesting the feathers. He auto respawns and has plenty of time...

Alternatively, you could get creative with PaO.

DrKerosene
2017-11-04, 06:11 AM
I was expecting a cheesey build using the ability from Jade Phoenix Mage called Emeral Immolation, or whatever.

I'm sure a combination with the spell Death Pact (isn't there a lower level spell that returns you to life if you specify the correct cause of death when casting?) could result in some cheese.

Edit: Pact of Return, level 9 spell.

KillianHawkeye
2017-11-04, 09:54 AM
Definitely not 'C'.

Braininthejar2
2017-11-04, 12:43 PM
Is it really redeeming them though? Their soul will plummet straight to hell. Kinda not really any redemption there.

With the whole rebirth theme that a phoenix represents, bu RAI the new phoenix should have the same soul as the old one, shouldn't it?

PhantasyPen
2017-11-04, 01:46 PM
Sacrificing their life to bring a creature of pure Good into the world? I'd say that's a great climax to a redemption arc.