PDA

View Full Version : Shield Utilizing Fighter

GoblinGuy
2017-11-03, 08:39 PM
If any of you guys have advice or homebrew for a fighter that uses shield bashes/punches as a main attack, and or just uses a shield to its full extent, please show me.

Puh Laden
2017-11-03, 08:43 PM
If any of you guys have advice or homebrew for a fighter that uses shield bashes/punches as a main attack, and or just uses a shield to its full extent, please show me.

If feats are allowed, use shield master. Especially since the most useful function of a shove is to knock a creature prone.

tavern brawler + dual wielder can also potentially, depending on your DM, allow you to do two-weapon fighting using your shield as a second weapon.

X3r4ph
2017-11-04, 02:19 AM
You don't need homebrew to be a good Shield Fighter. As mentioned you need the Shield Master feat and a level in Rogue to get Expertise in Atheletics. You could also take a level in Barbarian to grab rage. That would give you advantage on your check if you are raging.

For your Fighter fighting style grab Protection.

MeeposFire
2017-11-04, 05:35 PM
You don't need homebrew to be a good Shield Fighter. As mentioned you need the Shield Master feat and a level in Rogue to get Expertise in Atheletics. You could also take a level in Barbarian to grab rage. That would give you advantage on your check if you are raging.

For your Fighter fighting style grab Protection.

Also there are some newer feats in UA that can give double prof bonus on athletics checks so you do not have to have rogue levels to get that (though honestly I like them anyway for other reasons).

I would disagree about protection. Yes it is the shield fighting style bonus but personally I find that it has so restrictions in its use that it becomes annoying. Personally I prefer defense or dueling with a fighter with a shield for me.

X3r4ph
2017-11-05, 06:33 AM
I would disagree about protection. Yes it is the shield fighting style bonus but personally I find that it has so restrictions in its use that it becomes annoying. Personally I prefer defense or dueling with a fighter with a shield for me.
I agree. Dueling and Defense are great picks. And arguably the only two you need as a Champion Shield Master for example. But if you really really really wanna use your shield for tricks then it can be a lot of fun. Having something to do with your reaction is nice. For a Battle Master, who has Riposte, it becomes less attractive.