PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding(?) Weapon

Matrota
2017-11-03, 08:53 PM
I seem to recall that there was some sort of weapon enchantment (3.5e) that added +1 bleeding damage to each hit that stacked, which could be cured with a DC 15 heal check or a cure spell. However, even with lots of searching I cannot find it. Does anyone know if this is actually a thing or am I imaging it / recalling a homebrew thing?

PhantasyPen
2017-11-03, 10:50 PM
I think it was Wounding, from MIC. ... Or that was the one which gave a negative level on a crit, I tended to stack them.

Crake
2017-11-03, 11:04 PM
I think it was Wounding, from MIC. ... Or that was the one which gave a negative level on a crit, I tended to stack them.

Wounding (which is from core, not MIC) does 1 point of con damage per hit from "blood loss". Not quite the same as a consistent bleed, but it does stack. It's a +2 ability though, not +1.

Atarax
2017-11-03, 11:08 PM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but a quick search turned up this weapon property:

Implacable
(From Magic Item Compendium Pg. 37)

"When an implacable weapon deals damage
to a living creature, the wound bleeds profusely and the creature takes 2 additional points of damage at the start of each of the wielder’s turns for the next 5 rounds. Multiple wounds are cumulative (a creature struck three times in the same round would take 6 points of damage per round for the next 5 rounds).
This bleeding can be stopped by a successful DC 15 Heal check or any effect that restores hit points (such as cure light wounds). However, while the wound is active, anyone attempting to cast a spell on the target that would restore hit points must succeed on a DC 15 caster level check."

Calthropstu
2017-11-03, 11:09 PM
The only bleeding weapon I've ever seen was when someone was picked up by a giant and smacked into someone else... it's not very sustainable long term though, and getting magic enhancements on that will be a bitch.

ViperMagnum357
2017-11-03, 11:15 PM
I think Implacable is what you are looking for in 3.5. In 3.0, the Wounding and Greater Wounding properties caused continuous blood loss rather that Con damage-in 3.5, that is much less common, generally a niche ability like the Infernal Wound of a Bearded Devil.

Anthrowhale
2017-11-03, 11:47 PM
The Kelvezu Demon in MMII uses a weapon of 'greater wounding' which bleeds a stacking 2 hp/round. It's a +4 bonus and detailed there.

Keld Denar
2017-11-04, 02:05 AM
A little googling found this from the 3.0 SRD.

Wounding
A weapon of wounding deals damage to a creature such that a wound it inflicts bleeds for 1 point of damage per round thereafter in addition to the normal damage the weapon deals. Multiple wounds from the weapon result in cumulative bleeding. The bleeding can only be stopped by a successful Heal check (DC 15) or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell.
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, sword; Market Price: +2 bonus.

It wasn't until 3.5 that Wounding was changed to Con damage.

The Viscount
2017-11-04, 01:42 PM
The Kelvezu Demon in MMII uses a weapon of 'greater wounding' which bleeds a stacking 2 hp/round. It's a +4 bonus and detailed there.

As Keld Denar explained, in the 3.5 update they changed wounding. The MM2 update changes greater wounding to 2 Con damage per hit. Still a +4 bonus.

Anthrowhale
2017-11-04, 04:27 PM
As Keld Denar explained, in the 3.5 update they changed wounding. The MM2 update changes greater wounding to 2 Con damage per hit. Still a +4 bonus.

Thanks, I had missed this.

Remuko
2017-11-04, 08:49 PM
A little googling found this from the 3.0 SRD.

Wounding
A weapon of wounding deals damage to a creature such that a wound it inflicts bleeds for 1 point of damage per round thereafter in addition to the normal damage the weapon deals. Multiple wounds from the weapon result in cumulative bleeding. The bleeding can only be stopped by a successful Heal check (DC 15) or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell.
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, sword; Market Price: +2 bonus.

It wasn't until 3.5 that Wounding was changed to Con damage.

I miss the bleed. Add that to one of the few changes from 3.0 to 3.5 i dont like.

StreamOfTheSky
2017-11-05, 02:45 AM
I miss the bleed. Add that to one of the few changes from 3.0 to 3.5 i dont like.

I liked it, too. There's a sneak attack feat to do bleeding as well, at least. Arterial Strike, from Complete Warrior. Forgo 1d6 SA damage for 1 point of bleed, stacks with multiple wounds, and the same DC 15 heal check as that Implacable property.

Still, I feel if you're sneak attacking someone multiple times, they're probably dead anyway...

Telonius
2017-11-05, 11:21 PM
There's a Hemorrhage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sb/20030504a)spell from the Wizards archive that does bleeding damage. Otherwise I'm not finding much. Kind of makes the "Styptic" armor enhancement from MiC sound a lot less useful. "Immune to a condition that is likely to never crop up!" (Though the 25% chance to negate Con drain isn't bad).

Bronk
2017-11-06, 08:16 AM
There's also the mundane weapon property 'serrated' from Dragon 358 page 43. For 600 gold, it's built into the base weapon, and deals 1 extra point of bleeding damage per round for 1d4 rounds.

The Viscount
2017-11-07, 12:26 AM
There's a Hemorrhage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sb/20030504a)spell from the Wizards archive that does bleeding damage. Otherwise I'm not finding much. Kind of makes the "Styptic" armor enhancement from MiC sound a lot less useful. "Immune to a condition that is likely to never crop up!" (Though the 25% chance to negate Con drain isn't bad).

Styptic does have a use in that there are still several monsters with the wounding ability, even in 3.5 when it was removed as a weapon property. Off the top of my head, bat swarms, desmodu, and nycaloths can inflict bleed damage.
That, and a few PrCs that have it, like Bloodstorm Blade and Invisible Blade.
There might be one or two spells left like Bloodletting, but they have a very limited duration.

ViperMagnum357
2017-11-07, 12:41 AM
^Bearded Devils right out of the basic MM1 have it, as well as a bunch of setting specific monsters. Not as rare as people think, though you do need to look for it.

Anthrowhale
2017-11-07, 07:59 AM
The Wounding Spell metamagic in Lost Empires of Faerun gives any damaging spell a bleed effect.