PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Session recap and rules questions

Ronnocius
2017-11-03, 11:25 PM
So I have just had the first session of a new campaign. The theme of the campaign is that the players are inside orc territory and must sabotage the orc war machine from within (similar to Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor). During the session it went more or less as expected, but the players decided to raid an outpost after completing a task for a local resistance leader. Since this is meant to be a sandbox campaign, I was glad that they did this. The battle was pretty bad for them, nobody was slain but people were downed frequently. Also, I was rolling super well (many crits with orc greataxes) and the players were rolling poorly, except on their death saves. I allowed them to have a minor retcon (basically giving the cleric a level 1 spell slot).
I didn't want to seem like I was trying to TPK the party, so in the future what would you recommend? This is level one so it tends to be rather fickle anyway, but should I nerf these encounters in the future or give a more clear indicator that they are going to be difficult?
Aside from that I have a few rules questions that came up.
Rules Questions:
#1. If a character is unconscious and is attacked, does the attacker get an instant hit and instant critical hit?
#2. If a character stabilizes themselves, do they come back at 1 hit point? And furthermore, are they allowed to take actions afterwards?

JNAProductions
2017-11-03, 11:27 PM
1: They attack with advantage (barring disadvantage from other sources) and, if they are within 5', it automatically crits.

2: No. They just stop taking death saves.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-03, 11:30 PM
1: They attack with advantage (barring disadvantage from other sources) and, if they are within 5', it automatically crits.

2: No. They just stop taking death saves.

Technically, if you're unconscious you're prone 95% of the time, and ranged attacks actually get disadvantage beyond 5 feet.

JNAProductions
2017-11-03, 11:31 PM
Which would cancel out the advantage, so you'd shoot normally.

Edit: But yes, that's a common situation to know about.

Biggstick
2017-11-04, 12:33 AM
My advice would be to start at level 2 in your future campaigns. I know it's not the most helpful to you right now, but level 1 is a pretty lame level for most classes. Starting at level 2 gets PC's beyond that one bad die roll vs two cats causing death. It also allows Players to write in a tiny bit more backstory regarding their character.