PDA

View Full Version : Library of Congress: Webcomic Collection

Vinyadan
2017-11-04, 11:36 AM
The Library of Congress now has a webcomic collection. https://www.loc.gov/collections/webcomics-web-archive/?sb=title_s&sp=1
It is quite small, I think, and doesn't seem to include any rpg comic. I am not familiar with most comics in the collection.
I wonder if they take suggestions for new additions?

keybounce
2017-11-04, 05:51 PM
The Library of Congress now has a webcomic collection. https://www.loc.gov/collections/webcomics-web-archive/?sb=title_s&sp=1
It is quite small, I think, and doesn't seem to include any rpg comic. I am not familiar with most comics in the collection.
I wonder if they take suggestions for new additions?

Oh wow. Girl Genius made it.
As did Dinosaur Comics.
SMBC, and XKCD.

Not there? The two biggest web specifics:
1. Homestuck.
2. The massive webcomic crossover war of 2007.

Vinyadan
2017-11-04, 06:39 PM
I think that some big comics like Sluggy Freelance and OotS would deserve inclusion. Some choices also were somewhat strange: I read e.g. Manfeels Park, and it baffles me. The art is very derivative (handtraced screenshots), while the jokes are nothing special, and sometimes cross the line to incomprehensible. I guess it's an example of satire in the age of the Net, and continuation of discourse in comic form, and so mostly interesting as a portrayal of a general intellectual attitude, but, as a comic, I find it unremarkable.

Anteros
2017-11-05, 12:56 PM
I've actually never heard of a lot of these. The selection process seems very...arbitrary.

Mechalich
2017-11-06, 10:37 PM
I've actually never heard of a lot of these. The selection process seems very...arbitrary.

This archive is small enough that it is almost certainly managed by a single curator, probably in their spare time. So you're seeing what a single person was able to get their supervisor to approve as being 'significant.' It is also likely that technical issues impacted choice options - certain website setups are no doubt easier to format and preserve for the archive format the Library of Congress uses (for instance the relative barebones xkcd would be comparatively simple) and given the universally pathetic state of federal IT that is a significant consideration.

137beth
2017-11-14, 12:37 PM
Interesting. There are only three on there that I follow (Dinosaur Comics, Girls With Slingshots, and XKCD). There's also Shortpacked, which I haven't read but is by the same author as another comic I do follow (Dumbing of Age).