PDA

View Full Version : Player Help 3.5e Help with finding a race and/or a class

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-04, 12:49 PM
Hello guys :)

I can't play Sparrow Hengeyokai because there is a problem with shepchanging races in the short adventure one of my players is running in my world(I can't hurt the story).
I am looking for another flying LA+1 race with the smallest size I can get for my warlock(I will use Air Heritage for speed).
Edit:
I can't find something I like.
My other option is to play something else but I can't think of anything.

We will fight goblins and Kobolds.
I can't(as a player) play a prepared spell caster.
I don't want to melee at all.
I must take LA+1.
This is not a high optimization game.
I don't want to play with SA(I played Rouge a lot).
All 3.5 books are allowed and some magazine stuff.
I will start at class level 3.
I am bad with spells and other x per day stuff(I use them to early or to late all the time).
This will be 32 point buy so I can't be to MAD.
Being a humanoid is better for the story.

I was thinking about Binder but I don't think it will fit the party.

Edit:
Just in case someone don't understand, I don't need to fly in the second option

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-04, 01:30 PM
Players guide to faerun offers an option to play lesser version of planetouched races (page 191). Using that, you could check out these races: fey'ri (without extra SLAs the lesser is +1 LA) or gloaming (+1 as well). Both have fly, humanoid if using the lesser option and each have some own stuff. Feyri is medium, gloaming is small.

Alternatively, the air mephling was suggested in your previous thread - has perfect fly 10'. Good enough if you get the air herritage feat. Outsider, medium.

Thank you for your help.

As I can see I don't really have options (The Air Mephling doesn't look like LA+1).

PhantasyPen
2017-11-04, 01:44 PM
anthro bat or bird from savage species?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-04, 02:12 PM
anthro bat or bird from savage species?
I think they are to strong for me to allow.

Royce
2017-11-04, 02:13 PM
Air mephling planar handbook. +1 LA, + 2 to Dex and Cha, -2 Int, fly 10 perfect, Minor breath weapon, and is halfling size.

Royce
2017-11-04, 02:28 PM
What don’t you like about the mephling? As said before with air heritage feat they a decent fly speed and perfect maneuverability at that.

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-04, 02:35 PM
What don’t you like about the mephling? As said before with air heritage feat they a decent fly speed and perfect maneuverability at that.

I don't know, I just don't like them for some unknown reason.

They look nice to my, not really worth the LA+1 but more than LA 0 if you ask me.

After seeing my options I think I will go with option B, playing something else.

I will look for high dex/cha small(er) race for my warlock or try to play something different but not melee.

Edit:
Gnome, Chaos look nice, what do you guys think?

ATHATH
2017-11-04, 03:45 PM
They look nice to my, not really worth the LA+1 but more than LA 0 if you ask me.
What part of "able to trivialize most enemy encounters at level 2" isn't powerful enough for you?

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-04, 04:24 PM
What part of "able to trivialize most enemy encounters at level 2" isn't powerful enough for you?

just comparing it to LA+1 Races and Templates.

it is 0 ability scores bonus, weak breath weapon and very slow fly speed.

Edit:
I am stupid, I was looking at the worng place.

ATHATH
2017-11-04, 04:51 PM
just comparing it to LA+1 Races and Templates.

it is 0 ability scores bonus, weak breath weapon and very slow fly speed.

Edit:
I am stupid, I was looking at the worng place.
It doesn't matter how fast you can fly, it matters that you can fly (and for an indefinite period of time and at perfect maneuverability at that!).

You can simply fly high enough above your enemies that their archers can't reach you, then pepper them with Eldritch Blasts (possibly boosted in range by the Eldritch Spear invocation) until all of them are dead.

If you want to be less cheesy/use that tactic in dungeons, you can just fly 20-50 ft. or so off of the ground, which will still make most melee-focused enemies unable to touch you.

Boggartbae
2017-11-04, 06:49 PM
There's the Winged Template in savage species that you could throw on a halfling. Technically it's LA +2, but that's way too high for what it does. (+4 dex, +2 wis, fly at twice land speed with good maneuverability)

BloodSnake'sCha
2017-11-05, 12:23 AM
It doesn't matter how fast you can fly, it matters that you can fly (and for an indefinite period of time and at perfect maneuverability at that!).

You can simply fly high enough above your enemies that their archers can't reach you, then pepper them with Eldritch Blasts (possibly boosted in range by the Eldritch Spear invocation) until all of them are dead.

If you want to be less cheesy/use that tactic in dungeons, you can just fly 20-50 ft. or so off of the ground, which will still make most melee-focused enemies unable to touch you.
I can understand that explanation but I made my mind to play something else.

There's the Winged Template in savage species that you could throw on a halfling. Technically it's LA +2, but that's way too high for what it does. (+4 dex, +2 wis, fly at twice land speed with good maneuverability)
I am not sure I want to use it, I can buy other stuff at LA+1 and get it at level 6.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-11-05, 02:45 AM
I'm not sure what's been suggested since your edit, but I'd say go with a Dragonfire Adept in Dragon Magic. I don't think anyone could consider it very optimized barring some serious shenanigans, but it's definitely viable and can be very fun to play. Everything they do is at-will, you get to breathe fire or lightning or cold or whatever all over your opponents, you can use slow or weakening breath to debuff opponents, you can take the feat Entangling Exhalation in that same book to debuff them with any breath that deals damage. You'll get a few invocations, definitely take Endure Exposure and put it on your whole party every day so they'll be immune to your breath attacks. Stick with the long-duration buffs like See the Unseen or Beguiling Influence, or utility like Magic Insight. At 6th level you can get Draconic Flight to be able to fly as often as you want.

It doesn't get any armor proficiencies, but you don't need to be making any attack rolls so just wear the heaviest armor that gets your full Dex bonus and carry a heavy shield or even an extreme shield in RoS. Your armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls and a lot of other checks that you probably won't even be making due to not being proficient, just say he's a bit clumsy. You'll have an arcane spell failure chance on your invocations so just buff when you wake up before putting your armor on, all of them should last 24 hours, and don't bother trying to use any invocations during combat. As a Human, I'd recommend either Mineral Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) or Quasilycanthrope (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) for your +1 LA, both get damage reduction but Mineral Warrior is significantly better, especially for a Con-SAD class like Dragonfire Adept.

You'll get plenty of skills even with a low Int score, I'd definitely take Use Magic Device, Spot, and Listen. You can also pick up Sense Motive or something that provides utility to the party like Appraise or Decipher Script or Speak Language, or of course one of the many Knowledge skills.

For your feats, definitely get Entangling Exhalation, and I'd take Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm) from the core Monster Manual to get +2 DC on your breath attacks. If you're able to use Dragon Magazine content (the pdfs should all be available online, just check Google), Dragon 313 has the feat Power Surge on page 57 that can be a huge benefit. That allows you to boost your breath attack in one of several ways each time you use it (+1 DC, or +1 damage per die, or +50% duration if it's not instantaneous), and it increases the wait to use your breath again by 1 round. That means you can still use it every round (your next turn is 1 round later), but now your breath attack has a frequency measured in rounds and you can take metabreath feats in the Draconomicon.