PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Plant Growth: Enrichment

WhatThePhysics
2017-11-04, 01:30 PM
Removed by author.

Holya
2017-11-04, 01:46 PM
Well since its a magical effect.. And its shoving magic into the fruit... You could end up with a entire town of warlocks.. Hell people having ambient magic to the point where they can become super casters. Like a constant empower spell effecting all magic they do. They could also make things naturally magical in their crafting. It all depends on where this food is actually going. Is it just in the middle of a forest? Then you could have a whole slew of new magical beasts from the sudden introduction of a potentially endless supply of magic infused food. Is it in a farming town or village? Warlocks abound, or just well any class that would be prompted to exist because of the now ambient sources of magic inside the people. Hell you could even have the plants if they are kept under this effect long enough start to mutate into magical versons of the base plant.

I mean honestly its magic but where exactly is your repeating trap going to be placed? With that knowledge we could narrow down the potential after shocks.. Beyond making food beyond dirt cheap.

ATHATH
2017-11-04, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure that this effect would stack, for the same reason that, say, Haste can't stack.

But if it did, I'd imagine that mature plants would explode in a fragmentation grenade-like manner (with fruit and/or seeds instead of metal shards) whenever they would normally start to produce fruit and/or seeds.

Basically, everyone within a half-mile of that trap that isn't completely isolated from plant life is screwed.

ATHATH
2017-11-05, 01:48 PM
These are some nice ideas. After some thinking, I've concluded that the following would occur within the mile wide circle:

Algae cells would split faster than humans can blink, killing aquatic beings and anything that drinks from local bodies of water.
Grass would grow at a rate of ~1 mph, and kudzu would grow at a rate of ~13 mph, making land based motion very difficult.
Tree seedlings would mature in minutes, all while forming billions of leaves, and their fruits would balloon and drop in seconds.
Ground level fruits and vegetables would balloon in vast numbers, and explode in ways very similar to how ATHATH described.
Thick clouds of airborne pollen would significantly reduce visibility, cover everything in the area, and suffocate most animals.
The air would contain incredible amounts of oxygen, and turn small flames into brilliant blazes with endless supplies of fuel.

Haste explicitly states that multiple Haste effects can't stack, but Plant Growth doesn't have this limitation.
I thought that the spell just made plants produce more stuff when they mature, and had no impact on how quickly they matured.

Keep in mind that the plants might suffocate due to the incredibly large CO2 intake that they would require/perform.

InvisibleBison
2017-11-05, 01:50 PM
Haste explicitly states that multiple Haste effects can't stack, but Plant Growth doesn't have this limitation.

Plant Growth says that it increases plants' productivity to one-third above normal. It's unclear whether "normal" means "in the absence of any magic" or "in the absence of this particular casting of Plant Growth". In the former case, multiple castings wouldn't stack; in the latter they would.

Nifft
2017-11-05, 03:56 PM
Generally speaking the "productivity" of crops is the quantity of edible harvest.

Increasing crop yield by +1/3 is the only utility I read in that use.

It even says that it takes place "over the next year", so the instant-explosion "readings" are not even slightly supported by the text.

Enrichment

This effect targets plants within a range of one-half mile, raising their potential productivity over the course of the next year to one-third above normal.