PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sand Hunter monster (from the 3.5 Sandstorm supplement)

Eunostus
2017-11-04, 03:02 PM
Hello everyone. My first homebrew on this forum. I wanted to try and convert the sand hunter monster from 3.5's Sandstorm to Fifth Edition, to be used in a desert encounter. In case you're unfamiliar with them, sand hunters look like a cross between lizards and hunting dogs. They share a psychic connection through high-pitched sounds and attack as a pack. Below is the stat block I composed based on the supplement. I based it off of the wolf. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any feedback.

Sand Hunter
Medium beast, unaligned
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 19 (3d10 + 3)
Speed 40 ft., burrow 5 ft.
Str 12, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4, Survival +3
Senses: Passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Keen Hearing And Smell. The sand hunter has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Pack Tactics. The sand hunter has advantage on an Attack roll against a creature if at least one of its pack members is within 5 ft. of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
Pack Mind. While within 30 feet of at least two other conscious pack members, the sand hunter benefits from the Alert feat: It cannot be surprised while conscious, it gains a +5 bonus to initiative, and other creatures don't gain advantage on attack rolls against it while being hidden from it.

Actions
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d4+2) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Sonic Howl. The pack of sand hunters lowers the frequency of their communication sounds to produce a sonic attack. Any creature within 20 feet of any pack member producing the howl must succeed on a Con save or be stunned for one round. The DC of the howl equals 8 + each pack member's Cha modifier. Pack members must be within 30 feet of each other. Each other participating sand hunter loses its action on its subsequent turn.