PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Feat choice Extra turning or PA

Dalg
2017-11-04, 03:59 PM
Hi guys a bit of advice would be appreciated please. I'm lvl 11 Radiant Servant of Lathander in a group comprising a Sorcerer, Mage, support role Druid, Monk, Rogue and Bard. Our Barbarian has just left the group (he rerolled the Bard). I luckily have never played a healing cleric, concentrating my style on melee with buffing duties. Now I suppose I need to be the main melee focus.
I've just got to lvl 5 Radiant Servant to get to the extra domain which I've been allowed by the GM to have as Time. I plan on carrying on as a normal Cleric because I don't want to loose any caster levels. Stats are:
Str 14
Con 16
Dex 10
Int 10
Wis 20
Cha 16

Domains: Sun, Strength, Time.

I'm using a +2 Greatsword and +2 Full Plate Armor. i also have a Holy Reliquary Symbol for 2 Extra Turning Attempts.
Feats have been invested into Quicken Spell, DMM Quicken and 3 lots of Extra Turning.
All in all I have 24 turning attempts when I include Eagle's Splendor.

Now at lvl 12 which I'll be hitting very soon I'm due another Feat. My question is would it be better for me to choose another Extra Turning feat which bring my total number of turns to 27 thus allowing me to DMM Quicken 5 spells or would you advise Power Attack which often gets recommended to melee players and stay at 4 Quickened spells.
I can see that PA ups the damage but i have a feeling that having the possibility of an extra swift action spell would be more benificial in the long run, especially if we need an immediate emergency spell of some sort.

Any thoughts?
Thanks alot.

PhantasyPen
2017-11-04, 04:37 PM
Based on how you seem to even have quicken spell as your main trick, I would presume that you spend a decent amount of time buffing, so I would recommend Extra Turning. However, might I somehow convince you to take a look at a divine or domain feat instead?

Dalg
2017-11-05, 09:42 AM
Thanks PhantasyPen, which feat would you suggest and why?

PhantasyPen
2017-11-05, 09:56 AM
Without knowing your exact playstyle? Off the top of my head I might say take a look at strength devotion.

Dalg
2017-11-05, 10:22 AM
Will do, only have the choice of Strength or Sun because I don't think Time has a Devotion.

Anthrowhale
2017-11-05, 12:06 PM
(1) If you could retrain to take Rebuke Dragons (Dragon Magic) as a L1 cleric and then take a level of Sacred Exorcist, you would double your turning pool.
(2) If you retrain to take Persistent Spell instead of Quicken Spell then you'll have somewhat fewer DMM spells but they will last all day removing the need to cast buffs in combat.
(3) If you go the Persistent Spell route then a Rod of Extend spell double the duration of your buffs.
(4) If you invest a feat in Assume Supernatural Ability and the wizard casts Polymorph[Tome Dragon(Dragon #343)] then you'll be able to get 1 off metamagic costs.
(5) The feat Easy Metamagic in Dragon #325 can reduce metamagic costst by 1.
(6) If you changed to a Spontaneous Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) and change race to a Silverbrow Human then the feat Practical Metamagic would reduce metamagic costs by 1 and the feat Versatile Spellcaster would allow you to pay 1 more yourself.
(7) The feat Residual Magic (Complete Mage) could potentially allow you to effectively double the number of DMM spells again when the same metamagic+spell is cast twice in a row.

Dalg
2017-11-05, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your reply Anthrowhale.You've made some great suggestions but unfortunately I should have stated in my post that we're basically using the Core Manual. GM has allowed a few things from other books and only if we justify them with background history of our char. Persist is out of the question and I personally prefer the Quicken playstyle to allow me to be more flexible.

Nifft
2017-11-05, 05:09 PM
Do you usually hit on a 5? Do you or your allies frequently paralyze or otherwise make enemies auto-hit? If so, you should probably take Power Attack and use it.

Do you usually miss on a 13, and you & allies never paralyze or otherwise make enemies auto-hit? If so, you should bypass Power Attack until you get better at hitting.

Other feats...

Do you have access to the feat Initiate of Lathander? That's a decent improvement in flexibility.

Divine Defiance (FC2) allows you to Counterspell for 2 turn attempts, if you have dispel magic prepared.

Anthrowhale
2017-11-05, 06:30 PM
I don't expect power attack to be particularly effective unless you can get some extra books.

If you can get extra books, then take power attack and use Greater Magic Weapon on a Sycthe in the morning then use full power attack with Surge of Fortune and Sense Weakness to hit for:

(8*2 (Power Attack)+2(enhance)+2(strength)+5(base))*4 = 100 expected damage.