PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Prismatic Tile, a Wondrous Item Based on Prismatic Wall [PEACH]

Nicrosil
2017-11-04, 05:38 PM
First, some backstory. One of my players has always wanted to cast Prismatic Wall, but never plays an arcane caster, nor do we ever get to high enough levels to cast it. So, I decided to throw him a bone. However, I am trash at balance, so any help balancing this would be very much appreciated.

Prismatic Tile
Legendary Wondrous Item
Attunement. Requires attunement by a wizard, sorcerer, or warlock.

This tile looks like a clear, square glass panel, 6 inches wide and a quarter inch thick. While attuned to it, at the dawn of each day, the tile glows a random color (see chart). As an action while holding the tile, you may use it to cast a layer of Prismatic Wall of the corresponding color. After casting it, the tile becomes clear again and cannot be used until the next dawn. The effect is otherwise identical to Prismatic Wall. The DC for this is 17 or your spellcasting DC, whichever is higher.

Random Color Chart
1. Red
2. Orange
3. Yellow
4. Green
5. Blue
6. Indigo
7. Violet
8. Reroll

snafuy
2017-11-06, 11:52 AM
First, some backstory. One of my players has always wanted to cast Prismatic Wall, but never plays an arcane caster, nor do we ever get to high enough levels to cast it. So, I decided to throw him a bone.
Prismatic Tile
Legendary Wondrous Item
Attunement. Requires attunement by a wizard, sorcerer, or warlock.
I don't get it. If they never play arcane casters, how do they use an item that only works for arcane casters?

Instead of random at dawn, make it random at time of use, but also make 8 into Roll Again Twice.

Nicrosil
2017-11-07, 12:35 PM
I don't get it. If they never play arcane casters, how do they use an item that only works for arcane casters?

Instead of random at dawn, make it random at time of use, but also make 8 into Roll Again Twice.

Ah, we have a house rule where anyone can attune items, "attunement by a wizard" means you need to hire a wizard to attune it to you. Again, that's a house rule though, so I included that if you want to use it in your own campaign.

I made it charge at dawn so you could plan around it; if you know you're going to fight iron golems you don't want to pop a fire wall on them.