PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Curing and Other Classes

ATHATH
2017-11-04, 06:09 PM
If I'm, say, a NG Wizard 10/Cleric 1 (with no ACFs or substitution levels), can I spontaneously convert my Wizard spells into cure spells?

Necroticplague
2017-11-04, 06:39 PM
Nope. When considering rules, one must consider all relevant rules, not just selective parts of it.

OTHER SPONTANEOUS CASTING
Some spellcasters prepare spells, but they can cast certain spells spontaneously as detailed in their class description. A good-aligned cleric or a cleric of a good-aligned deity canspontaneously cast a cure spell in place of a prepared spell of the same level or higher, but not in place of a domain spell. A druid can spontaneously cast a summon nature’s ally spell in place of a prepared spell of the same level or higher. Such spontaneous casting follows special rules for spontaneous spellcasting, such as how metamagic feats interact with casting time, but otherwise functions as normal spellcasting. A multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell from one class in place of one from another class.

ATHATH
2017-11-04, 07:57 PM
Nope. When considering rules, one must consider all relevant rules, not just selective parts of it.
!@#$.

Well, there goes a cool character concept...

Vaern
2017-11-05, 06:10 PM
Spontaneous Healer from Complete Divine allows you to spontaneously cast Cure spells. Downside is that they have to be on your class spell list.
Fortunately, Arcane Disciple (also from Complete Divine) would allow you to pick up the Healing domain as a wizard, adding pretty much the whole collection of Cure spells to your class spell list. You can learn these domain spells as a wizard and prepare them each once per day, in addition to those castings granted by Spontenous Healer. Note, though, that you do not actually need to have the spell in your wizard spellbook to utilize Spontaneous Healer; the spells simply need to be considered a class spells.

The downside, of course, is that if you want to reliably heal as a wizard then you'll become more dependent on Wisdom than one might like. You could, of course, simply take Arcane Disciple to add the spells to your class spell list and not worry about being able to learn or cast them. The feat alone gives you sufficient access to the spells to use wands without having to make UMD checks.

Another alternative, instead of taking Spontaneous Healer with Arcane Disciple, take the Touch of Healing reserve feat (Complete Champion) instead. As long as you have 12 wisdom and keep Cure Moderate Wounds prepared, you can heal people for 6 HP for free, up to half of their maximum health. It's not too useful in combat, but it'll do your party wonders between encounters. And let's be honest, a lot of people on here consider in-combat healing to be an inefficient use of spell slots anyway.

ATHATH
2017-11-05, 07:10 PM
Spontaneous Healer from Complete Divine allows you to spontaneously cast Cure spells. Downside is that they have to be on your class spell list.
Fortunately, Arcane Disciple (also from Complete Divine) would allow you to pick up the Healing domain as a wizard, adding pretty much the whole collection of Cure spells to your class spell list. You can learn these domain spells as a wizard and prepare them each once per day, in addition to those castings granted by Spontenous Healer. Note, though, that you do not actually need to have the spell in your wizard spellbook to utilize Spontaneous Healer; the spells simply need to be considered a class spells.

The downside, of course, is that if you want to reliably heal as a wizard then you'll become more dependent on Wisdom than one might like. You could, of course, simply take Arcane Disciple to add the spells to your class spell list and not worry about being able to learn or cast them. The feat alone gives you sufficient access to the spells to use wands without having to make UMD checks.

Another alternative, instead of taking Spontaneous Healer with Arcane Disciple, take the Touch of Healing reserve feat (Complete Champion) instead. As long as you have 12 wisdom and keep Cure Moderate Wounds prepared, you can heal people for 6 HP for free, up to half of their maximum health. It's not too useful in combat, but it'll do your party wonders between encounters. And let's be honest, a lot of people on here consider in-combat healing to be an inefficient use of spell slots anyway.
The thing is, I don't want to spontaneously cast Cure spells- I want to spontaneously cast [Fire] spells in the same manner as a Cleric spontaneously casts Cure spells, which the Initiate of Amaunator feat lets me do. I was hoping to be able to go Wizard 1/Cleric 4/??? 15 and burn my Cleric spell slots to spontaneously cast [Fire] spells from the Wizard spell list that I had written into my (Wizard) spellbook, but it seems that this is not possible.

Vaern
2017-11-05, 07:46 PM
Ah. Your original post made it seem like you wanted to cast divine spells from arcane slots, which I've done before with limited success... Casting arcane spells from your divine slots is a whole new can of worms, though.

Nifft
2017-11-05, 07:51 PM
The thing is, I don't want to spontaneously cast Cure spells- I want to spontaneously cast [Fire] spells in the same manner as a Cleric spontaneously casts Cure spells, which the Initiate of Amaunator feat lets me do. I was hoping to be able to go Wizard 1/Cleric 4/??? 15 and burn my Cleric spell slots to spontaneously cast [Fire] spells from the Wizard spell list that I had written into my (Wizard) spellbook, but it seems that this is not possible.

Here's what you do:
- Take Sorcerer levels
- Choose [Fire] spells from the Sorc/Wiz list
- Spontaneously cast Sorc/Wiz [Fire] spells

ATHATH
2017-11-05, 10:44 PM
Here's what you do:
- Take Sorcerer levels
- Choose [Fire] spells from the Sorc/Wiz list
- Spontaneously cast Sorc/Wiz [Fire] spells
*Head Explodes*

Still, though, there are at least 50 or so Sorc/Wiz [Fire] spells (from a rough estimate that I made), and there's a certain style factor to being able to cast any Sorc/Wiz [Fire] spell from any book, Dragon Magazine article, web article, etc. at-will.

I mean, I guess I could go with some Sublime Chord build that starts out with 4 levels of Cleric and a level of Heartfire Fanner... but having to use Sublime Chord feels dirty, y'know?

Do Prestige Paladin levels count as Paladin levels for the purpose of qualifying for feats and such?

Rebel7284
2017-11-06, 01:50 AM
Note: Prerequisite Cleric or Paladin 4th.

Whether or not Prestige Paladin = Paladin is a DM call.

Here is a thought: Be a spontaneous Cleric from Unearthed Arcana (I think) or a Favored Soul (those can take initiate feats too based on a rule in Dragon Magic). Enter Eldrich Master from Dragon 280 and at class level 4 add the Wizard spell list to your Cleric list.

Might work with a regular cleric too, but slightly more tortured reading required then. :)

ATHATH
2017-11-06, 01:52 AM
Note: Prerequisite Cleric or Paladin 4th.

Whether or not Prestige Paladin = Paladin is a DM call.

Here is a thought: Be a spontaneous Cleric from Unearthed Arcana (I think) or a Favored Soul (those can take initiate feats too based on a rule in Dragon Magic). Enter Eldrich Master from Dragon 280 and at class level 4 add the Wizard spell list to your Cleric list.

Might work with a regular cleric too, but slightly more tortured reading required then. :)
I already know about the existence of the Eldritch Master PrC, but if I was willing to drop 4 caster levels to be able to use the Initiate of Amaunator feat with Wizard spells, I'd have just played a Cleric 4/Wizard 16.

ATHATH
2017-11-06, 01:54 AM
Chameleons don't technically have a "spell list", right?

Vaern
2017-11-06, 06:51 PM
As far as dropping 4 caster levels, both Complete Arcane and Complete Divine offer Practiced Spellcaster, which increases the caster level of a chosen class by 4 up to a maximum of your total level. It won't make up for the spells/day loss, but the it helps to put your caster level up to what it should be when playing around with multi-class builds.