PDA

View Full Version : Spell-like abilities: arcane, divine or neither?

Zarvistic
2017-11-04, 06:51 PM
As title, I can't quite find anything specifically stating something.

The SRD entry on spell-like abilities does say:
"Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name."
"Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order. "

But I'm not sure if that's enough to actually say if that makes them arcane or divine.
Complete Mage also has an entry called Arcane vs Innate on page 7, but doesn't clarify much, besides the "versus" part.

Anyone happens to know more?

ngilop
2017-11-04, 07:09 PM
As title, I can't quite find anything specifically stating something.

The SRD entry on spell-like abilities does say:
"Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name."
"Some spell-like abilities duplicate spells that work differently when cast by characters of different classes. A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, . "

But I'm not sure if that's enough to actually say if that makes them arcane or divine.
Complete Mage also has an entry called Arcane vs Innate on page 7, but doesn't clarify much, besides the "versus" part.

Anyone happens to know more?

.. you realize you quoted your answer, right?

A spell-like is defaulted to be arcane and from the sorcerer/wizard spell list.

if it is not then its goes to cleric,druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order.

So depending on the source of the spell it be arcane or divine (i.e. its only found on the paladin spell list its divine. if its found on both the cleric and sorcerer/wizard spells lists its arcane)

thats just one, and I feel the most viable interpretation

the other is, its arcane unless it says it is divine.

and the last is; they are neither arcane nor divine. :smallconfused:

Jowgen
2017-11-04, 09:52 PM
You are asking a good question; which to my knowledge falls into a rather big grey area.

SLAs are never called out as being arcane or being divine, so by RAW they default are neither. Supernatural abilities are explicitly called out as being neither (in Tome of Magic for one), but we don't get that for SLAs. Not even the FAQ or Rules of the game articles come right out and say it.

There is however quite a bit of evidence suggesting that even though SLAs in general are be neither arcane or divine, individual SLAs can still qualify as such (perhaps if the SLA mimicks a spell exclusive to either an arcane or divine spell-list). The main piece of support for this is that the Sybill PrC from savage species mentions both of "Divine Spell-like abilities" and "Arcane spell-like abilties" when describing its class abilities. There is also the mentions of "Arcane spell-like abilities" in the Complete Arcane version of the Magebane weapons and the Cultist of the Shattered Peak PrC from Lost Empires of Faerun (also appears in Auranoch: Empire of Shade); wherein the latter specifies that having one does not qualify one as an Arcane Spellcaster.

Doctor Awkward
2017-11-05, 02:17 AM
May or may not be relevant but Complete Arcane has the following on page 72:

"Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or
invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic
and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting.
As such, requirements for feats and prestige classes based
on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane
spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or
invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations
that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the
appropriate level or higher.
---
A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether
the character or creature in question is capable of producing
the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like
abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements
for specific spell knowledge. For example, a prestige
class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be
able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness
as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as
a spell-like ability."

I can't rightly think of another reason why spell-like abilities being "divine" or "arcane" would matter, if not to use them to qualify for something.

lbuttitta
2017-11-05, 06:55 AM
May or may not be relevant but Complete Arcane has the following on page 72:

"Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or
invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic
and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting.
As such, requirements for feats and prestige classes based
on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane
spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or
invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations
that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the
appropriate level or higher.
---
A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether
the character or creature in question is capable of producing
the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like
abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements
for specific spell knowledge. For example, a prestige
class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be
able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness
as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as
a spell-like ability."

I can't rightly think of another reason why spell-like abilities being "divine" or "arcane" would matter, if not to use them to qualify for something.
Ur-priests' divine spell resistance? I'm sure there are at least a few other examples, even if I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Telonius
2017-11-05, 07:48 AM
Unless the creature description specifies otherwise, you have to look at each individual spell, and check for the highest class list on the hierarchy.

Pit Fiend as an example. It gets Blasphemy. So, go to the Blasphemy spell description. It's not a Sorcerer/Wizard spell, so you check to see if it's a Cleric spell. It is, so it's cast as a Divine spell. Next spell on the list is Create Undead. The spell description says it is on the Sorcerer/Wizard list, so it's cast as an Arcane spell. Same thing all the way down the list of available spells. If you have some oddball monster with Hunter's Eye as a SLA, it would be cast as a Ranger spell.

Gusmo
2017-11-05, 04:43 PM
I agree that SLAs aren't arcane or divine for 3.5. I see some mentions from 3.0 books in here, so perhaps they were in 3.0? The passage quoted in the OP allows you to determine things such as the save DC, but ultimately it doesn't do anything to make an SLA arcane or divine. And there's no need for them to be classified as either, as far as I'm aware. Any 3.5 references to arcane or divine SLAs are best chalked up to poor editing.

Jack_Simth
2017-11-05, 08:44 PM
If it helps:

Arcane Sight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneSight.htm) says spell-like abilities register as arcane,