PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis System for 5e?

Unoriginal
2017-11-05, 08:25 AM
As a DM, would you like it if there was an equivalent of Shadow of Mordor/of War's Nemesis system in D&D?

For exemple, if there were a few tables that'd let you randomly and easily add weaknesses, strengths and personality traits (although the DMG already has tables for that, in a way) to minor bad guys on the fly, and so add some diversity to the encounters with minimum effort?

As a player, would you like it if some of the enemies you faced had capacities, resistances or vulnerabilities that are different from their typical monster statblocks? Or would you say it's too much of a bother if your opponents have random traits you have to deal with?

I know some people like random elements more than others, so I'm curious about people's opinions on the subject, since combatants tend to be "statblocks without modifications" unless the DM does deliberate changes to make the stats fit what they had in mind for the encounter better.

War_lord
2017-11-05, 08:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of random tables in general. I consider coming up with cool stuff to be part of the fun of DMing, so I don't understand outsourcing it to a rolled table. As a player I'd find it annoying if an enemy was suddenly immune to fire without any sort of pre-warning, just for the sake of variety.

Eric Diaz
2017-11-05, 11:34 AM
There is this:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/58916/Random-Esoteric-Creature-Generator-for-Classic-Fantasy-RolePlaying-Games-and-their-Modern-Simulacra

For OSR games, it is quite good.

Also, here are some random tables for my (unpublished) game that might be useful (although they are meant for "bosses" noy minions).

I don't thing a random goblin should have special traits. Too much work for the GM and players. Maybe a goblins tribe...

Let me know what you think.

The Titan is able to...
1. Spit fire, acid, poison or other dangerous substances.
2. Harm those who get too close with thorns, heat, electricity, or toxic fumes.
3. Ignore foes that are too far, using fog, invisibility or a force field.
4. Attack many nearby foes at once without penalty.
5. Hypnotize people with their gaze, voice or scent.
6. Move too fast, fly, burrow, or teleport around.
7. Resist most attacks with natural armor, unnatural flexibility, or insubstantiality.
8. Control the surroundings through magic or other means.
9. Hide in unlikely places or disguise as ordinary things.
10. Regenerate or become stronger after being harmed.

NPCs distinctions (personality) [d20 table]
Alcoholic
Boisterous
Cheerful
Disrespectful
Faithful
Forgetful
Funny
Greedy
Helpless
Impulsive
Loud
Pessimistic
Quixotic
Scared
Silent
Sluggish
Suspicious
Stubborn
Traumatized
Roll twice

NPCs distinctions (appearance) [d20 table]
Androgynous
Asymmetric
Beautiful
Childish
Clean
Disfigured
Diseased
Disproportionate
Elderly
Flamboyant
Gaunt
Hairy
Maimed
Obese
Ragged
Pale
Short
Slovenly
Tattooed
Roll twice

Gryndle
2017-11-05, 12:23 PM
I'm totally snagging your NPC traits Eric. Its not something I would use for EVERY npc or critter, but say if the PCs capture a goblin to interrogate, or want to haggle with a specific merchant that I haven't gotten statted up, it gives me a quick way to come up with a persona. With those two sets of traits, a full personality is pretty easy to extrapolate on the fly.

Unoriginal
2017-11-05, 12:48 PM
I'm totally snagging your NPC traits Eric. Its not something I would use for EVERY npc or critter, but say if the PCs capture a goblin to interrogate, or want to haggle with a specific merchant that I haven't gotten statted up, it gives me a quick way to come up with a persona. With those two sets of traits, a full personality is pretty easy to extrapolate on the fly.

Pretty sure that kind of NPC trait tables are in the DMG already, if you want some.

Gryndle
2017-11-05, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure that kind of NPC trait tables are in the DMG already, if you want some.

just shows how much I actually use the DMG in play....gonna have to give it another read through and use it as more than loot tables, poisons and traps

Eric Diaz
2017-11-05, 02:48 PM

Happy to hear that!

Mine is better, simpler and free! :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, you can find all kinds of NPC tables around the internet too.

Trey Bright
2017-11-05, 06:38 PM
NPCs distinctions (personality) [d20 table]
Alcoholic
Boisterous
Cheerful
Disrespectful
Faithful
Forgetful
Funny
Greedy
Helpless
Impulsive
Loud
Pessimistic
Quixotic
Scared
Silent
Sluggish
Suspicious
Stubborn
Traumatized
Roll twice

NPCs distinctions (appearance) [d20 table]
Androgynous
Asymmetric
Beautiful
Childish
Clean
Disfigured
Diseased
Disproportionate
Elderly
Flamboyant
Gaunt
Hairy
Maimed
Obese
Ragged
Pale
Short
Slovenly
Tattooed
Roll twice

Is it okay if I use these?

Zanthy1
2017-11-06, 07:45 AM
I like the idea of named NPCs who the party encounters getting special abilities. I do not like the idea of random monsters getting them, without a reason. A random encounter with goblins should be just that, with maybe more HP or whatever. However, if one of those goblins escapes and vows revenge, and the players learn his name or something, then later on when he makes a reappearance he could have some special ability. Save the special stuff for special characters essentially.

Eric Diaz
2017-11-07, 06:08 PM
Is it okay if I use these?

For your own table? Of course!